Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Aubars a late bar on a friday night?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I was out with some of my older brothers and a family group last night,didnt get to town till half 11.Anyway we wanted another drink so walked up to Aubars at five to one...there was 3 or 4 security guys,so we walked towards the upstairs bar which was clearly still serving and music playing,the security man said no ye have to go to the club.Asked what was on said the release party a hip hop/soul night,i might have it but the others in the group were late 20's early 30s and just wanted a relaxed drink,anyway we were told you can pay into the club and go upstairs to the bar WTF???The older people in the group would go regular enough to Aubars and know damn well the upstairs servres late

Anyway we didnt agrue we just said no thanks we dont want the club,just a late drink to which we were told again "sorry just the club which you have pay in"....Well Aubars you lost 12 people and prob 2 or 3 drinks a person last night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

no, its not a late bar, its a club. Its just charging admission like every other club with a bar attached. beyond a certain time, ul be stuck to find many places willing to let you in for free. Mollys does AFAIK. that Cornmarket tunnel place will do too, 4 nights a week I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Nancys,flannerys,clohessys upstairs,bentleys,all late bars on wekend nights i believe.Just thought the staff could have seen we wanted a late relaxed drink and not a club,dont mind paying to a gig or a club if im going a bit earlier than 1,buy all we wanted was to get a corner or table in Aubars bar not the nightclub which is tiny

Nancys,flannerys,clohessys upstairs,bentleys,all late bars on wekend nights i believe.Just thought the staff could have seen we wanted a late relaxed drink and not a club,dont mind paying to a gig or a club if im going a bit earlier than 1,buy all we wanted was to get a corner or table in Aubars bar not the nightclub which is tiny
    see, the problem for them was thats the service they're charging for. a lot of people pay in there, then head upstairs for a drink. If they let you in for free, others will want in for free, and its not long before they're wandering between upstairs and downstairs.

Its different in say clohessys because they can keep the areas seperate with decent space in both, and thats their choice. Aubars, their policy is charging after a certain time. its a shame, yes, but thats their choice.

I see your point but when people are drinking there regular/having lunch/coffee they were trying to point us to downstairs when they know well the bar serves late aswell.Aubars could and should get the club/bar seperate all it is is a stairs and a door.you could have the club crowd and a crowd that just want a late drink,im sorry but im not paying into a bar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Vamp you are so cheap - just pay to go through the club and up into the bar?!

• Advertisement

I see your point but when people are drinking there regular/having lunch/coffee they were trying to point us to downstairs when they know well the bar serves late aswell.Aubars could and should get the club/bar seperate all it is is a stairs and a door.you could have the club crowd and a crowd that just want a late drink,im sorry but im not paying into a bar
    yes, but you admitted yourself the club is tiny, so if they charge into the whole venue then they can make some more money. which they need, since the club is tiny.

No use zuroph - you wont win!

its not a case of winning, She asked a question, I'm just answering.

Vamp you are so cheap - just pay to go through the club and up into the bar?!

How is that cheap?ive often gone to aubars for a drink or cocktail on a saturday night with my older friends but then when we want a few late relaxed drinks they want to charge after a certain time?

Would it not make sense to look after your customers and keep the clubbers to want a club seperate

Its fine went to Nancys,got 2 drinks,free in,nice crowd

Anyone here in limerick agree with me??im sorry but im not paying into a club just to walk through and go upstairs to the bar which serves late anyway

• Advertisement

How is that cheap?ive often gone to aubars for a drink or cocktail on a saturday night with my older friends but then when we want a few late relaxed drinks they want to charge after a certain time?

Would it not make sense to look after your customers and keep the clubbers to want a club seperate

Its fine went to Nancys,got 2 drinks,free in,nice crowd
    They cant, the club is too small, and they're out to make money.

Consider Icon/smyths, or Trinity rooms and the clubhouse. both serve food during the day and charge in at night. its just a business model. As you said, there's plenty of other free options too. As long as they keep filling the place, they won't mind charging. its When the place is empty that they have to review their door charges.

zuroph wrote: »
    They cant, the club is too small, and they're out to make money.

Consider Icon/smyths, or Trinity rooms and the clubhouse. both serve food during the day and charge in at night. its just a business model. As you said, there's plenty of other free options too. As long as they keep filling the place, they won't mind charging. its When the place is empty that they have to review their door charges.

Well id often gone to Aubars for a drink on saturday and the place was busy early and there never was a charge.Bear in mind i mean the upstairs bar thats open every day for lunch etc...we wanted to have a drink in the bar not a nightclub.Jayus i sound like the one at fault!!

Well id often gone to Aubars for a drink on saturday and the place was busy early and there never was a charge.Bear in mind i mean the upstairs bar thats open every day for lunch etc...we wanted to have a drink in the bar not a nightclub.Jayus i sound like the one at fault!!
    You're not at fault, but no1 is.

If you've gone earlier, you've bought and drank more, adding to the places profits. If you decide not to arrive til later, they make less money off you, hence the door charge.

HYPOTHETICALLY, apply this to EVERYONE in there. they all arrive early, they all get in for free, they all buy lots of drink. everyones happy.
    OR
    They all arrive late, the bar has been empty for half the night with staff to be paid etc, and they all only have 2 drinks. less money made for club, which they then subsidise with the door charge.

Its economics.

well they lost at least 2 drinks by 12 people prob some shots by not letting us in

well they lost at least 2 drinks by 12 people prob some shots by not letting us in
    Yes, but with a limited capacity, perhaps those 12 places were taken by 12 people who paid 10 each in, and they made an extra €120 profit.

EDIT: For the record, most places, if you called ahead and told em you had a group like that, would probably arrange to waive the charge for you, depending on the evening etc.

Well they shoud be encouragaing business they have a busy food trade,and the older office crowd who go daytime may like to have a drink late aswell.Nancys gained

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Anyone here in limerick agree with me??im sorry but im not paying into a club just to walk through and go upstairs to the bar which serves late anyway

No,what if you went into Icon and told them you werent paying as you only wanted a quiet drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shoulda went earlier then, once it hits 12ish they'll charge afaik, same as Costellos, if you're in there before 11 (or is it 10?) you wont get charged, after that and you will, regardless if you just stay downstairs or go up to the club
    , if I went down to Icon at 12 on a saturday and said i only wanted a coffee or glass of coke so i shouldnt have to pay id get laughed at

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These places usually operate in these ways:
    • Offer customers free entry up to a certain time so that the bar takings make up for the door charge waiver.
    • Charge customers an entrance fee after a certain time so that the door charge will cover the lower bar takings.
    These places have to pay for an extended "late bar" trading licence, pay staff to work extra hours, heat the place, etc and as such have to make money back. They will not do this if they leave people in for free at 01:00 am for only 2 or 3 drinks each. They want you in as early as possible spending your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just go somewhere else tbh.

• Advertisement

Jesus Vamp, if you wanted relaxing drinks, I am sorry but Aubars wasnt exactly the best place. Nancys front bar maybe but not the outback.

I could list a number of pubs that dont charge on entry for "relaxing drinks"

Advertisement