Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hypothetical question

Options
  • 05-12-2009 8:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭

What happens if one installs a 32 bit operating system on a PC with more than 4 gigs of RAM?

End of days?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Can't access any of the RAM past the ~3.4GB (varies between OS) mark? :P

Although if you're using 1GB+ graphics cards things would get interesting pretty quick... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Pi^2 wrote: »
    What happens if one installs a 32 bit operating system on a PC with more than 4 gigs of RAM?

End of days?

divide-by-zero-blog-safe.jpg
    That.

But yeah, all that happens is that you will not be able to address more than 3.5GB of Ram (total between DIMM and GPU Ram).

TBH, there is no excuse to not be using a 64bit OS nowadays :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Leman_Russ wrote: »

TBH, there is no excuse to not be using a 64bit OS nowadays :P

except when it comes to frikkin itunes.

i tried to install itunes tonight, and its impossible on win xp x64...

concidering how long xp x64 has been around, im pissed off and shocked they havn't come up with a version thats compatible.

You are using Apple products. That waives your right to complain about anything ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

concidering how long xp x64 has been around, im pissed off and shocked they havn't come up with a version thats compatible.
    errr, itunes sux bigtime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you do realise XP64 is sh*te and had much worse vendor support than Vista in it's early days? If you want a 64bit OS use Vista or 7, Dump XP64 NOW!
    You are using Apple products. That waives your right to complain about anything ever again.

And also spot on. Itunes has caused me so many problems on Windows it's not funny (devices being bricked, drivers being nuked, other media apps being prevented from launching, processes conflicting with windows). If i ever have to use itunes I immediately format the PC (and living in a house full of iPods it's unavoidable at times :().

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

It's fairly sad that, as a for-years-and-years Mac user I totally agree with this.

Safari and iTunes are the two worst ambassadors for a platform I've ever seen. I've used both under Mac OS for years, but I can't even install them in a boot camped partition without being a little worried :/

you do realise XP64 is sh*te and had much worse vendor support than Vista in it's early days? If you want a 64bit OS use Vista or 7, Dump XP64 NOW!
    QFT. +1 and all that jazz. Windows 7 64bit is actually... dare I say it... Good. Well, as good as anything M$ can be (I mean, why does M$ need 27 Gigabytes for a OS when Debian can fit on a freaking CD?)
    And also spot on. Itunes has caused me so many problems on Windows it's not funny (devices being bricked, drivers being nuked, other media apps being prevented from launching, processes conflicting with windows). If i ever have to use itunes I immediately format the PC (and living in a house full of iPods it's unavoidable at times :().
    Have you tried using a virtual machine to access the iPods? Would be a lot easier to just have a minimum XP or W7 Install to run the ipods off exclusively (hell, run a Mac VOS :P)
    It's fairly sad that, as a for-years-and-years Mac user I totally agree with this.

Safari and iTunes are the two worst ambassadors for a platform I've ever seen. I've used both under Mac OS for years, but I can't even install them in a boot camped partition without being a little worried :/
    I agree. I mean, I know M$ is bad, but at least they let people try and do silly things with their OS (like installing on a biscuit or something), compared to Mac who do everything they can to stop people installing what is essentially a free OS (OpenBSD with a top layer GUI) on anything that isn't overpriced and poor quality.

Of course you can always go to *nix, I mean, I am 99% sure they have distros out there not just for biscuits, but ones optimised for Rich Teas, Custard Creams, Cream Crackers and Digestives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

If i ever have to use itunes I immediately format the PC (and living in a house full of iPods it's unavoidable at times :().

There are loads of alternative programs, i'd presume you know?

I've never had to much with i-pods but did install i-tunes and have looked at i-tunes' stuff b4 for other people. The one time i had to actually put some music on one on my own pc, i used something called sharepod i think(it was over a year ago)

Anything is better than i-tunes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'm running Itunes fine on 64 bit Windows 7 HP. Can't really say I ever had a problem with it. I'm not a fan of Apple one bit, but something about Itunes I like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Have you tried using a virtual machine to access the iPods?

don't use it enough to be bothered. You're talking about me maybe using it the day one is bought just to dump the music on it, once in a year or about that.
    Effluo wrote: »
    There are loads of alternative programs, i'd presume you know?

I know, but see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I know, but see above.

It was worth it!!!

In fairness to i-pods though, the classics are really good value... Well as long as it lasts longer than the usual 1 year

Advertisement