Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass - musicman sterling sb14

• 05-12-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was out in xmusic today and came across a musicman sterling sb14, this bass was an absolute dream to play so I asked the guy working there to hold it for me till the morning.

The problem is their looking for 900 blips for it, its that a crazy price for a sterling? I've noticed that in the states there selling for around the $500 mark!!

Anyway just want to get your thoughts on wheather or not to purchase it.

Oh also I'll be up the North on Monday, would I find this kind of bass up there for cheaper?

Cheers,
    Phil
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Musicman basses are very nice to play. I'm not familiar with that particular model but a quick search on EBay shows the most expensive SB14 to be $680 (€457.80) - including shipping. Based on that price comparison alone I'd say that yes, €900 is a bit steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

Malice_ wrote: »
    Musicman basses are very nice to play. I'm not familiar with that particular model but a quick search on EBay shows the most expensive SB14 to be $680 (€457.80) - including shipping. Based on that price comparison alone I'd say that yes, €900 is a bit steep.

Hey,

Cheer for the response. Yeah I've played them before and their a joy to play coming from a MUCH cheaper guitar I straight away noticed the quality. I've done searches too and see the same results as you.

The only thing is that Thoman are around the same price. This is really confussing me :) I really really love that bass but I wont part with 900 if I can get it else wheres!

Cheers m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Have you considered used ? Have a browse here. Probably cheaper than Ireland even considering shipping and import tax. I bought a bass from this site with no problems.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1859146

Rigsby wrote: »
    Have you considered used ?
    That's a very good point. With a little bit of looking there are some excellent bargains to be had. My last three purchases (one guitar and two basses) were all second hand.

Guys,

Cheers for that link, I've been on TalkBass for awhile and never knew they had a for sale section!!!

Think I'll have a browse and pick up something really nice :-)

I have a budget of 800 odd euro to play with so I'm sure I could get something really nice :-)

Again Guys.....THANKS!!

P.S. I would still love to know where Xmusic and Thoman get off charging 900 blips when there only a couple of hundred $'s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Guys,

Cheers for that link, I've been on TalkBass for awhile and never knew they had a for sale section!!!

Think I'll have a browse and pick up something really nice :-)

I have a budget of 800 odd euro to play with so I'm sure I could get something really nice :-)

Again Guys.....THANKS!!

P.S. I would still love to know where Xmusic and Thoman get off charging 900 blips when there only a couple of hundred $'s

The "For Sale" section on TB is fairly lively. There is fresh stuff coming up all the time. Again, dont forget to factor in the custom's tax when/if buying.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. :)

Cheers for the help guys,

I actually came across a lovely Ibanez SR500BM quite cheap up North (I've lusted after this bass for so long).

So whats happened since the OP:

Up in Xmusic I had the guy put the Musicman on hold for me (I seen him place the bass on the wall behind the counter, they were just closing BTW), I rang the next day at 12pm to see if they could do me a deal with a hardcase and it turns out they lost the bass.....thats right they Lost the BASS!!

I asked them where could it possibly have gone and I got a simple response...."Who Knows", now if I was going to buy the guitar they would have just lost 940 somthing euro!!!

They did ring me yesterday to tell me the guitar had somehow turned back up behind the counter..... I got no "we're sorry about losing the bass you where about to buy for 940 euro!" What a joke!

*END RANT* :)

They temporarily lost the bass? That was quite unfortunate for the shop.

Best of luck with the Ibanez. Don't forget to put up pictures! I've got an SR 706 and a K5 and I love them.

Malice_ wrote: »
    They temporarily lost the bass? That was quite unfortunate for the shop.

Best of luck with the Ibanez. Don't forget to put up pictures! I've got an SR 706 and a K5 and I love them.

Yeah I know, while I do like xmusic and think their staff are quite good this was definitely a slip I wont forget for awhile.

Pics will be up soon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

The 'Sterling by Musicman' tag replaced the 'SUB' in September 2006 as the entry range for Musicman instruments. While the SUB series was sourced and made in USA, the SBM series is made and assembled in Asia and inspected and set-up in USA.

I bought my MM Sterling for GB£600 on eBay in 2007 so €900 is a bit over the top for an SBM instrument. You might be lucky and pick up a MM Sterling for a few euro more. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This conversation ended 3 years ago, pal.

Advertisement