Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop child benefit to middle/high income parents?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I understand that children can't work and get an allowance because of this, but i dont think all families (esp. the rich) should get it.

I believe this because children in middle/high income families will get plenty off their parents, but those whose parents can only earn enough to take care of themselves should get some money for their children.

Now would be a good time to impose this as the economy is leaking money and we need to think of simple ways to cut govt. expenditure.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

But what is the purpose of CB? Is it to alleviate those in poverty or is it some kind of compensation for the cost of reproduction?

If we did implement your plan, should be apply the same to disability benefit? Should a rich/middle income disabled person have this benefit removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

What do you define as middle/high income ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Should a rich/middle income disabled person have this benefit removed?

Ummm, why should a rich disabled person get disability allowance? They're rich after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Then you have why should anyone be given child benefit.

If you can't afford children then people shouldn't have them.

Free education and medical care should be enough

omahaid wrote: »
    Ummm, why should a rich disabled person get disability allowance? They're rich after all :D

This is an argument. This is why we need to ask why we are giving out benefits in the first place. What is their purpose?

(I am certain this post will be misinterpreted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

jhegarty wrote: »

That would have to be decided, the threshold would be high enough so that no children would experience any lower level of living standard or anything.

It would just be taken away from those who dont see it as help in raising their children, but just another source of income.

They created these kids, so if they have enough money for them, why do they deserve to take a bonus?

stainluss wrote: »
    That would have to be decided, the threshold would be high enough so that no children would experience any lower level of living standard or anything.

It would just be taken away from those who dont see it as help in raising their children, but just another source of income.

They created these kids, so if they have enough money for them, why do they deserve to take a bonus?

You could measure is based on the Console Index.

One Console = Lower Band
    Two Consoles = Middle Band
    Three Consoles = Higher Band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I believe this because children in middle/high income families will get plenty off their parents.

Not necessarily true at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

But your definition of middle/high earner has a massive bearing on peoples option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

jhegarty wrote: »

this is exactly the problem who are middle income earners? you can be sure that a lot of those who are defined as this are struggling just as much as anyone else.

we would probably be considered middle income but find it really really difficult to make ends meet if ours was taken away we would be in big trouble. i dont mean in luxuries such as cinema trips etc i mean getting the kids uniforms and keeping boys in shoes (huge expense :eek:) and necessities that it was intended for.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »

So the low-income child should suffer and starve for the parents mistakes?

The way i proposed would mean that child benefit would only be given to those who couldnt afford to feed and clothe their kids.

The parents may not deserve it, but the kids deserve a certain standard of living.

But the people who don't need it, shouldnt get it.
    If the can feed the kids on their income, then they shouldnt be given extra.

Im not saying its fair to everyone, but it ensures that all kids get a good standard of living and we save mental amounts of cash

muboop1 wrote: »
    Not necessarily true at all...

If they're earning enough, then they wont starve their children and build a constervatory instead, would they?
    Im talking about the necessities (the whole purpose of child benefit)

this is exactly the problem who are middle income earners? you can be sure that a lot of those who are defined as this are struggling just as much as anyone else.

we would probably be considered middle income but find it really really difficult to make ends meet if ours was taken away we would be in big trouble. i dont mean in luxuries such as cinema trips etc i mean getting the kids uniforms and keeping boys in shoes (huge expense :eek:) and necessities that it was intended for.

Its a theory. All of those costs would be factored in and a cutoff would be made.

If the cutoff was set correctly, if a family would need it, then they will get it.

Even if the cutoff positioned, say 60% of families entitled, then 40% of families multiplied by the amount given out anually is going to give the government more money!

Better than imposing more taxes or pay cuts IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

A middle income familiy who strive to live within their means shouldn't ever be in financial difficulty while in employment.

If they over extend themselves with large mortgages, car finance, loans, credit cards and re-mortgaging then they will find it tougher than others.

if you buy uniforms in the right place they're pretty cheap (as long as you're not buying for a football team) something that can be expsensive is the yearly book change which could be looked into.

a good pair of doc shoes/boots should last years. if you're forking out for exspensive nike apron runners that last a few weeks, then really the goverment shouldn't be subsidiising people's poor descision making.

(i'm not suggesting you do any of the above, i mean in general)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I understand that children can't work and get an allowance because of this, but i dont think all families (esp. the rich) should get it.

I believe this because children in middle/high income families will get plenty off their parents, but those whose parents can only earn enough to take care of themselves should get some money for their children.

Now would be a good time to impose this as the economy is leaking money and we need to think of simple ways to cut govt. expenditure.

Thoughts?

The problem is your idea is'nt the simplest option. Cutting it across the board is and is the option the government will most likely go through with. A reduction in the region of 10% is on the cards. Now whether thats fair or not is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ntlbell wrote: »
    a good pair of doc shoes/boots should last years. if you're forking out for exspensive nike apron runners that last a few weeks, then really the goverment shouldn't be subsidiising people's poor descision making.

For older kids in their teens sure, for younger kids their foot size changes rapidly. You're doing well to get a year out of a pair of shoes a lot of the time. But yes, buying sturdy shoes makes a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

A middle income familiy who strive to live within their means shouldn't ever be in financial difficulty while in employment.

If they over extend themselves with large mortgages, car finance, loans, credit cards and re-mortgaging then they will find it tougher than others.

if you buy uniforms in the right place they're pretty cheap (as long as you're not buying for a football team) something that can be expsensive is the yearly book change which could be looked into.

(i'm not suggesting you do any of the above, i mean in general)

a pair of shoes lasting a child years?? erm.. do you have children.. do your children have crippled feet if you do??? School uniforms not expensive... lol.....

Cut middle income families child benifit and they wont be able to work cause they wont be able to afford childcare... only people who can afford children should have them lol... brings me back a bit to the nazis.. what are we going to do, force terminations (I doubt it in this country) to any woman whos income is under a certain amount... send her to the laundries, starve her childlen? make her children wear docs for years on end till their feet curl... this board does amuse me sometimes, people spout about things they have absoloutely no knowledge of... try walking in someone elses docs for a while lol..
    Child benefit helps not only the poorest but often the middle income families who both work and who are struggling to put food in their fridge... ST. Vincent de paul has had a huge increase of families seeking help where both parents are earning but just cant afford food and oil ontop of childcare etc.
    I think unless you are in receipt of child benefit there is no point commenting because it is all pie in the sky.. yes, maybe tax it for those who are wealthy, but this small amount of money per month should be for every child, and ensure every child is helped by our society....

The problem is your idea is'nt the simplest option. Cutting it across the board is and is the option the government will most likely go through with. A reduction in the region of 10% is on the cards. Now whether thats fair or not is another question.

True, the numbers getting it would change every year as familys incomes change, but this would save even more than a 10% overall cut,in exchange for some paperwork. They will always take the easier option:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So, what you are saying is: If I sit at home and breed I should get child benefit, but if I work my ass off and earn a decent living I should be penalised?

Is that what you are saying?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So, what you are saying is: If I sit at home and breed I should get child benefit, but if I work my ass off and earn a decent living I should be penalised?

Is that what you are saying?

Do you see the contradiction. Sure im sure raising loads of children is a bundle of laughs and will turn you a decent profit after 18 years:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

louisa200 wrote: »
    a pair of shoes lasting a child years?? erm.. do you have children.. do your children have crippled feet if you do??? School uniforms not expensive... lol.....

Erm, I have one yes.

As nes said in younger years there will be rapid growth, but unless the child is some sort of freak a good pair of shoes should last at least a school year. no crippled feet, just a bit of common sense when purchasing them.

How much do you pay for a uniform and where do you buy them? I'm sure plenty of people could point you in the right direction.
    Cut middle income families child benifit and they wont be able to work cause they wont be able to afford childcare... only people who can afford children should have them lol... brings me back a bit to the nazis.. what are we going to do, force terminations (I doubt it in this country) to any woman whos income is under a certain amount... send her to the laundries, starve her childlen? make her children wear docs for years on end till their feet curl... this board does amuse me sometimes, people spout about things they have absoloutely no knowledge of... try walking in someone elses docs for a while lol..

lol, it's a hilarious subject.

You think people shouldn't take their financial circumstances into consideration when thinking about planning a familiy? LOL? is that too much to ask a responsible adult? lol?
    Child benefit helps not only the poorest but often the middle income families who both work and who are struggling to put food in their fridge... ST. Vincent de paul has had a huge increase of families seeking help where both parents are earning but just cant afford food and oil ontop of childcare etc.

As I said, if middle income families had put more thought into their spending habbits, they _should't_ be struggling, BUT if they didn't they will. Once again, it's about evaluating your own circumstances, it will lead to less dependancy on the state to pay for thier school uniforms and what not.
    I think unless you are in receipt of child benefit there is no point commenting because it is all pie in the sky.. yes, maybe tax it for those who are wealthy, but this small amount of money per month should be for every child, and ensure every child is helped by our society....

I'm in receipt of it and would much prefer it went to a much better cause, I decided to have children, I'll support them, I don't expect anyone else to.

Do you see the contradiction. Sure im sure raising loads of children is a bundle of laughs and will turn you a decent profit after 18 years:rolleyes:.

No, you may have to point it out to me. One of these people contributes to the state coffers, the other sucks at it's teat.

No, you may have to point it out to me. One of these people contributes to the state coffers, the other sucks at it's teat.

You're right, same as the crowd on the social.

lets just pull everything from everyone, survival of the fittest!!:rolleyes:

You're right, same as the crowd on the social.

lets just pull everything from everyone, survival of the fittest!!

You understand! Great :D

Were you ever a child at any stage :D ?

These people dont sound like the middle income people im referring to.

Im talking about people who are not struggling in any way shape or form.

Maybe you didnt read other posts, i was talking about a cutoff point where the 'middle class' to which you refer would be certainly under(definitley not those getting helped by SVP)

As for all that forced abortion/nazi stuff, you're just making yourself sound stupid
    :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Trampas wrote: »

Children shouldn't be penalised for their parent's mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Thoughts?
    Scrap child benefits, privatize education altogether. If you can't afford kids, don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

The way i proposed would mean that child benefit would only be given to those who couldnt afford to feed and clothe their kids.

You obviously don't have kids. It involves slightly more than feeding and clothing them.

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote: »
    You obviously don't have kids. It involves slightly more than feeding and clothing them.

can people stop saying

"do you even have kids"

"you obviously don't have kids"

You don't need to have a poxy child to understand what's involved.

people have younger brothers/sisters/neicies/nephew's

It's a trait of parents on here i can't stand.

"if you don't have kids your too stupid to understand"

get a grip.

Advertisement