Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop child benefit to middle/high income parents?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gcgirl wrote: »
    Something i have been saying for yrs but alas the Early child care was a massive waste of money but for some one working full time your talking 800 and some cases 1200 per month on chilcare charges!

FF trying to please everybody. The Stay at Homes Mums felt undervalued and under paid!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I don't think the Early child care was a waste, but it should have been paid only to working parents to help with child care costs, why was it paid to stay at home parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nobody turns a profit after rearing a child.This allowance is only a subsidy.
    If you begrudge paying for other peoples kids, think about this;
    Who will be paying for your free healthcare when you are old and senile ?
    Who will pay your state pension when your private one goes belly-up?

If it costs too much in bureaucracy to sort out which parents don't need it, then just treat it as taxable income. Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

recedite wrote: »

If it costs too much in bureaucracy to sort out which parents don't need it, then just treat it as taxable income. Simple

the way things are going and already are

the germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

tudlytops wrote: »
    I don't think the Early child care was a waste, but it should have been paid only to working parents to help with child care costs, why was it paid to stay at home parents?

It sould have been paid in tax credits.
    Then, only people working, who the child care suppliment was aimed at, would get it.

It was never supposed to be an extra payment for child benefit, it was supposed to be for child care for working parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    They should stop issuing child allowance to foreigners with residency here, who get it even though their children are not and have never been in this county.

Giving money over to foreigners to spend and add to their own economy, doesnt make sense.

with this I can agree though I am a foreigner and my children are here with me...

however I think that cutting it is not good, but I think they shall take it away from those who are wealthy, but the question is what wage would you consider "high" ????

danman wrote: »
    It sould have been paid in tax credits.
    Then, only people working, who the child care suppliment was aimed at, would get it.

It was never supposed to be an extra payment for child benefit, it was supposed to be for child care for working parents.

sure - the problem is that creche payments are very high :/ so if ECS was supposed to really support the parents who sent children there then it should be a significant amount not the 40 euro crap ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Lirael wrote: »
    sure - the problem is that creche payments are very high :/ so if ECS was supposed to really support the parents who sent children there then it should be a significant amount not the 40 euro crap ....

That was the whole point on the ECS, it was to help orking parents.
    For some reason, it ended up being paid to everyone with a child under 3.

For that reason, it should have been paid in tax credits.

danman wrote: »
    That was the whole point on the ECS, it was to help orking parents.
    For some reason, it ended up being paid to everyone with a child under 3.

For that reason, it should have been paid in tax credits.

yeah, because they haven't even checked if the child is being sent to creche :/ and this shall have been done in the first place ...

my daughter was 3 when I came here and I couldn't afford paying 800 euro monthly for the creche ... so I asked my mother to stay for a year when she was due for school ...

recedite wrote: »

Ok i have kids and i am not begrudge paying for other peoples kids that is called a community, but i am begrudge paying for other people, that don't and never worked and use kids a way to stay unemployed and claim for all sorts.

As for the rest, I've worked sense i was 18, paid for a private pension out of may wages and for VHI. and a lot, a lot of taxes.

• Advertisement

Lirael wrote: »
    yeah, because they haven't even checked if the child is being sent to creche :/ and this shall have been done in the first place ...

my daughter was 3 when I came here and I couldn't afford paying 800 euro monthly for the creche ... so I asked my mother to stay for a year when she was due for school ...

When i was in the UK i got help with child care, but I had to prof that i was working and that I had to pay for child care.

Why was it given to unemployed people?

When i was in the UK i got help with child care, but I had to prof that i was working and that I had to pay for child care.

Why was it given to unemployed people?

Indeed.

Macra na Feirme etc. won the debate over tax credits for childcare payments. Apparently, staying at home to be a parent, isn't a choice, needs to be paid.

Jealousy if you ask me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed.

Macra na Feirme etc. won the debate over tax credits for childcare payments. Apparently, staying at home to be a parent, isn't a choice, needs to be paid.

Jealousy if you ask me.

i would have loved to stay at home with my kids, but i couldn't afford it, if one as to claim in order to stay at home, then they can't afford to do so and should go to work.

i would have loved to stay at home with my kids, but i couldn't afford it, if one as to claim in order to stay at home, then they can't afford to do so and should go to work.

Ah yeah, but that wasn't really the point.

When it was proposed increases in child benefit was to be linked to childcare costs, Macra na Feirme et al opposed it and proposed a universal benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ciara7

Trampas wrote: »
    Then you have why should anyone be given child benefit.

If you can't afford children then people shouldn't have them.

Free education and medical care should be enough

Education isn't free nor is medical care!!!

Advertisement