Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston - Cork train ticket

• 05-12-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I was getting the train from Heuston to Cork on Friday, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price was €66 for a single way!, I had just paid €18 for a single way from Waterford that morning. I went up to the desk to see if it was some kind of mistake, but no, the heroine addict selling the tickets said "Yeahh, cost an awful lot o' money to run all of them trains dunneh?", I then went to see the supervisor and got pretty much the same response. Luckily I had €70 on me after a day in Dublin, this leaves a really sour taste in my mouth and I'll definitely be taking the bus from now on!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Prices are high in the Friday peak.

Book on-line and you could have got an off-peak train for €10-20. Normal web fare is €36.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Victor wrote: »

Book on-line and you could have got an off-peak train for €10-20. Normal web fare is €26.

I know that now, but I don't understand how people could pay that on a regular basis. Seeing as I get 60 euro a week, i won't be doing much spending this week now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Just in case you don't know about this, if you buy a return ticket and only use it one way, if you send it to Iarnród Éireann they will refund you half the ticket price (if you send it within a month of expiry date).

Definitely worth it when you're paying 70 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I know that now, but I don't understand how people could pay that on a regular basis. Seeing as I get 60 euro a week, i won't be doing much spending this week now.

@ €60-00 a week - are you a student?. AFAIK there is a special student rate, might not be available at peak time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

Return is 78 or something. I do it regulary. But I usually get it 20euro return as there are online tickets for ten euro. I know the 14:00 costs this from heuston. If I cant go for the 10euro price I buy a student return for 46euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Victor wrote: »

Book on-line and you could have got an off-peak train for €10-20. Normal web fare is €36.
    Cork Dublin Heuston €66.00

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp

this is not a peak time rate but the normal single journey fare from dublin to cork paid in booking offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

Next to the ticket desk there is an internet kiosk, book online there with your laser card, for E36(it used to be E33). Then walk across the hall to the online ticket collection booth and youve save E30.

I noticed there was no information displayed in the station about this.The man on the desk advised me to do this after I complained about the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

€48 return to mayo, seeing as you can now get to dublin in 3hrs easy with the new motorway i cant see the point in paying way more then it would cost to drive up and down,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Cork Dublin Heuston €66.00

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp

this is not a peak time rate but the normal single journey fare from dublin to cork paid in booking offices.
    That is the sucker fare for people too stupid to book in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Bond-007 wrote: »

**MOD EDIT**

Play nice ClutchIt or you'll earn yourself a wee ban!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ED 209

That's insane. Now I know why everyone north of Dublin fly when they are going to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I went up to the desk to see if it was some kind of mistake, but no, the heroine addict selling the tickets said "Yeahh, cost an awful lot o' money to run all of them trains dunneh?"

haven't you seen the Commitments, there's no 'e' in heroin ;) If you are not in a rush and have good bladder control then yes, the bus is a far cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ClutchIt wrote: »
    **MOD EDIT**
    Play nice ClutchIt or you'll earn yourself a wee ban!!

WHO MADE YOU A "MOD" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was getting the train from Heuston to Cork on Friday, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price was €66 for a single way!, I had just paid €18 for a single way from Waterford that morning. I went up to the desk to see if it was some kind of mistake, but no, the heroine addict selling the tickets said "Yeahh, cost an awful lot o' money to run all of them trains dunneh?", I then went to see the supervisor and got pretty much the same response. Luckily I had €70 on me after a day in Dublin, this leaves a really sour taste in my mouth and I'll definitely be taking the bus from now on!

You should have replied at the ticket desk, "mam, I only want a ticket, I don't want to buy the fu**ing train. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I didn't know what time I would be returning, I didn't think there would be such a price difference between the online fare and buying at the station. I didn't really have time to go and find the bus station because I had to be in Cork for a certain time. I wouldn't have been able to book it online at the kiosk because I don't have any credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

That's madness!! You could have got it cheaper if you were to fly to the UK and back to Cork :rolleyes:

I've often gotten flights to Spain for €5 one way no taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ED 209 wrote: »
    That's insane. Now I know why everyone north of Dublin fly when they are going to Cork.
    its often more convience than cost. When going from Cavan/ Monaghan/ Donegal / The North theres a bus directly to dublin airport and from there its a short uncomplicated walk through domestic security to the cork flight. Pile of p1ss. Easy and straightforward (if the weather isnt causing delays!!)

Ireland doesnt do integrated transport, busses go to Busaras whereas the cork limerick trains of course go from the other side of town at Heuston.
    So.... the flight makes sense as you avoid the sh1teness of Dublin traffic, and a lugging of bags across town on a bus or luas. And the scumbags that hang around luas stops begging when you are looking for a ticket. And the scumbags on the luas itself that might try and rob you.

Actually, you could start a rant about the sh1teness of Dublin (and the transport therein).
    But that'd be another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

No need to stoop to abusing the integrity or the actions of other readers in sharing there views, is there? I find your kind of remark not just unhelpful but downright offensive frankly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

No need to stoop to abusing the integrity or the actions of other readers in sharing there views, is there? I find your kind of remark not just unhelpful but downright offensive frankly

i agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Disgraceful rip off. The government shaft you by charging carbon tax and increased tax on fuel but public transport is either inaccessible to the vast majority of non-city dwellers or prohibitly expensive. You can rent a car for a day cheaper than that.

I would love to take the bus to work or even the train but neither a bus service or train service is available. When you travel to UK or mainland Europe you really appreciate how sh*te our public transport network is and how overpriced as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Just a little aside but related, I had to come back to Dundalk from Belfast yesterday, my buddy had paid the 25:50 return fare, I was only looking for a single ticket, Central Station in Belfast were looking for 11:60 1 way or 13:40 for the return trip. Needless I just took the £13 one. On the machine quoting my fare in euro was only at 16 in comparison to the same journey being 25 albeit reversed direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just a little aside but related, I had to come back to Dundalk from Belfast yesterday, my buddy had paid the 25:50 return fare, I was only looking for a single ticket, Central Station in Belfast were looking for 11:60 1 way or 13:40 for the return trip. Needless I just took the £13 one. On the machine quoting my fare in euro was only at 16 in comparison to the same journey being 25 albeit reversed direction.
    But is it the same ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Train tickets are always dearer to buy there and then. Was in London this summer and was getting the train to Liverpool now I had my ticked via online but out of curiosity Cheked a single there and then it was £140 odd . Rip of Britain i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Booked on line from Ennis to Dublin last weekend for e12 one way including credit card charge. Couldn't complain, when I saw the price at the ticket office it was e50 :eek:

Advertisement