Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowest scoring section of JC/LC English?

• 05-12-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

looking for a statistic.

Does anyone either have opinions on it or actually know where I could find the answer?

What is the lowest scoring section of the JC/LC English paper?

I'm hoping for the answer to be the composition, but would anyone have any educated information on it as I'm just guessing.

I downloaded the education section of the CSO handbook and they haven't covered it, so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

Haven't got any statistics on this but I would make an educated guess at poetry questions, regardless of level or exam, being less well answered than composition ( on average).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

ulysses32 wrote: »
    Haven't got any statistics on this but I would make an educated guess at poetry questions, regardless of level or exam, being less well answered than composition ( on average).

Okay, thanks for the input.

I'm doing a paper (for college course) and I'm basing it on the poor quality of writing in students, I was basing it around composition and it would have suited me perfectly for it to be the worst answered,

Where in your opinion do you think the composition would fall?

I would imagine it could rank differently depending on the level at both JC and LC. For instance it might be very close to the bottom at Foundation level JC but possibly nearer the top at higher level ( e.g. able students who haven't covered the texts etc but might still write a very good composition)

Why don't you email the exams commission? Or ask english teachers in your school to look at Xmas exam/assessment results by section?

ulysses32 wrote: »
    I would imagine it could rank differently depending on the level at both JC and LC. For instance it might be very close to the bottom at Foundation level JC but possibly nearer the top at higher level ( e.g. able students who haven't covered the texts etc but might still write a very good composition)

Why don't you email the exams commission? Or ask english teachers in your school to look at Xmas exam/assessment results by section?

The second part of your suggestion I have planned to do alright, but the first half I hadn't, I will email the exams commission and see if they can give me any help, thanks a lot.

I will post anything I find anyway in case anyone is interested.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/EnglishJCCombined03.pdf

Link to Chief Examiner's report 2003. lots of relevant information regarding composition and standards of answering by section and level. This report must be available for later years also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The latest Chief Examiner's report for English at JC is from 2006.
    Here (.pdf file)
    The latest one for the Leaving is 2008.
    Here (.pdf file)

spurious wrote: »
    The latest Chief Examiner's report for English at JC is from 2006.
    Here (.pdf file)
    The latest one for the Leaving is 2008.
    Here (.pdf file)

Just had a read there - very helpful suprious!!

I'll also have a look at the Junior Cert one too.

Thanks.

Advertisement