Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notification period for accepting pay cut?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine has an unusual problem. His employer told him Friday (yesterday) that his pay would be cut by 20%. Now, he's been expecting this for some time and is not surprised, but the problem is that his employer wants an answer by Monday. We've checked the usual websites regarding pay cuts but so far have not come across anything anywhere that sets out a specified period for the acceptance, or rejection, of said cut.

My friend needs time to consider his options. Is there a statutory period in which to respond to your employer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am pretty certain there is no statutory period. The statutes don't really envisage pay cuts. You are right that there could be an issue with pressure like this, but we are in uncharted territory. If the employer's business is in trouble, he could be justified in doing this. Also, he may feel (possibly correctly) that the sooner he gets the whole issue over with, the better.

In any case, your friend has little option. He is going to be looking at either taking the cut or being made redundant.

In certain circumstances (for example, where the pay cut is selective in the company) he might have a case for constructive dismissal. This is really complicated stuff and your friend would need proper professional advice if he thought he might bring it further.

Advertisement