Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak!

Options
  • 06-12-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

So I looked at the landing ceiling earlier and there was 3 watermarks there that weren't there last week.

I went into the attic and spotted water drops running down the gas flue and dripping onto one spot on the attic floor, soaking the insulation right above the watermark.

I've wrapped the flue in a towel and put a basin underneath so hopefully that will buy me a day or two. The wind and rain has been crazy lately.

Here's a pic of the flue

attachment.php?attachmentid=98141&stc=1&d=1260054896

So the question is.. is this likely to be something serious or easy to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You'd need to check the flashing around the pipe as that's where the water is coming in probably.
    Is that brown packing tape around your gas flue, by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sleipnir wrote: »
    You'd need to check the flashing around the pipe as that's where the water is coming in probably.
    Is that brown packing tape around your gas flue, by the way?

I wondered that myself but on closer inspection its brown gaffer tape type stuff but its not coming off.

Trotter wrote: »
    I wondered that myself but on closer inspection its brown gaffer tape type stuff but its not coming off.

Well I'm no gas fitter but I would ask someone who knows of such things. It's in the attic so not that risky anyway but worth questioning.

Anyway, leak-wise, you'l really need to check it from the roof itself. If it's dripping down the pipe itself then it's likely that it's the seal around the pipe. So you would need to check how that's done.
    Hopefully not gaffer tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

There is an excellent product which will seal around the flue for ya.
    It is a rubber gasket which fits over the pipe and is then sealed to the roof.
    What you want is a GATOR. Available from 'Mak Fasteners' They are in dublin and also in cork i think.

You probably have something like this so for what you seem to have, you'd want to check the top bit, where the flue comes through it.

I'd also have a look at how the rest of the flashing is working though. I see you have a membrane under the tiles and if the flashing is letting water through, the waterproof membrane can mask that (temporarily!)

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »
    You probably have something like this so for what you seem to have, you'd want to check the top bit, where the flue comes through it.

I'd also have a look at how the rest of the flashing is working though. I see you have a membrane under the tiles and if the flashing is letting water through, the waterproof membrane can mask that (temporarily!)

Possibly a new flashing required so!

Trotter wrote: »
    Possibly a new flashing required so!

Ah, hopefully not. You won't know till you see it but be very careful up there. For one thing, you don't want to break any tiles or slates and for another thing, if you slip.....

It could be easily fixed by sealing around the flue with a bitumen sealant or other roof sealant on the roof but replacing the flashing means lifting tiles and is a whole other body of work.

Roof leaks...they are a right pain in the hole.

Here's a picture of a roof in the same estate as mine. I can't get a decent picture of my own.

98194.JPG

Advertisement