Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds - Parrots

Options
  • 06-12-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hello animal enthusiasts,

Recently, my love of birds, specifically parrots, was re-awoken and I'm making it my goal to eventually acquire an african grey. However, certain issues make this an impractical goal for anything but the extremely long term - namely, my inexperience.

Now I've had budgies before so I figure I'm reasonably confident in my abilities to handle small birds, but not to take care of something so large. I'd like to gain some knowledge by first taking care of a "medium-sized" parrot and I have my eye on the sun conure.

So, here's what I've come to ask -

Where can you get sun conures in this country?
    Where's the best place to get them?
    How much should you expect to pay for one? A pair?
    Should they be bought in pairs?
    How much would it cost to maintain them, inc. cages etc.?
    Are they difficult to look after? i.e. are they particularly delicate in any respects?
    Do you think they are appropriate for preparing to look after something larger?
    Do you think there is a more suitable bird for this? And, if so, please apply all these questions to it - where can you get one/pair?...

I think that's all for now. Looking forward to hearing your opinions,
    H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Lots of bird owners get smaller birds and work their way up to gain experience and this is one of the best ways to do it. Some find though that a cockatiel or the like is demanding enough so don't go any further getting a larger bird so it's a good way to ensure you know what you're getting yourself in for. All this of course is only recommended if you keep the initial bird for it's life considering that even a cockatiel or the like will live for 10 to 15 years approx.

African greys are a real handful just think of them as a really clever needy dog with feathers and multiply it by 6.

Where can you get sun conures in this country?
    Perhaps contact he parrot society they might be able to put you in the right direction to breeders/cost etc.

Cost of food depends on the quality you want to feed them, obviously the higher the quality the dearer but it's so important to have a high quality and varied diet with birds. The weekly fruit/veg shouldn't work out too dear but do try buying organic (aldi and the like do cheap organic veggies) where possible and avoid too many shop bought additive laden treats.

How much would it cost to maintain them, inc. cages etc.?

Their cage also depends on how humane a cage you want for them, the very least you'd expect to pay is about 200 euro. Check out zooplus.co.uk they have a brilliant selection of larger cages and are way way cheaper than any shop bought cage.

Also log on to northern parrots there will be cages on that with size guides.

Are they difficult to look after? i.e. are they particularly delicate in any respects?

Not too familiar with that type of bird but the usualy will apply no doubt.
    Eg. keep them in a bright draught free room, allow 12 hours of sleep a night, don't keep them in a kitchen remember non stick cook ware is highly toxic, avoid keeping them in a sitting room if there is an open fire or stove fire the fumes and smoke can also harm them.

Ensure you have a suitable room large enough to fit their cage but that they can still see the comings and goings.

If getting two remember they may bond with each other and not want to know you much, if you get one on their own ensure you have a ton of time to spend with the bird.

Do you think they are appropriate for preparing to look after something larger?

Yes but remember the noise factor, generally the larger the parrrot the more intelligent and demanding and noisy they are. And only take on such a bird if you are prepared to offer it a home for life even if a grey comes along.

Do you think there is a more suitable bird for this? And, if so, please apply all these questions to it - where can you get one/pair?...

Avoid dodgy breeders and open sales etc. contact the parrot society for more info on where to get a bird/s. If you google them it will come up.

They might be able to suggest another bird, however either way any medium or large parrot needs a lot of time and the larger the bird the more expensive cage, food, toys are. If getting an african grey for example or even another medium or large parrot you need tons of toys and vary them a lot northern parrots has the best selection of toys in my opinion.

Hope this helps, don't forget parrots are hugely noisy (and poop everywhere) much more than a budgie some people get used to the noise but many are rehomed or unwanted or sold because of this. Be wary that some people selling birds are rehoming them because the bird has serious behavioural issues and they might not tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 huitzilopochtli

Guineapigrescue,

Thank you for your insight, it's been very helpful. I've done research based on what you've said and think I have a fair idea of the requirements of looking after the physical needs of a parrot, although from your description I seem to have underestimated the effort required in entertaining one and keeping it happy.

Right now the prospect seems a little daunting, and I'm rethinking the sun conure route in favour of something smaller.

So, with what you have told me in mind I've decided to put the plan back some time, depending on circumstances. When I do get round to acting on it though, I will remember what you have told me and, before I do anything rash, I will contact the parrot society.

Thanks once again for your advice.
    H

Advertisement