Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Guy Trying to Buy Jewellery

• 06-12-2009 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd like to buy my girlfriend a ring for Christmas but the notion of buying jewellery is very alien to me. What I'm looking for is recommendations on a good jeweller and also whether I need to surreptitiously find out what her ring size is or could an experienced jeweller tell from a photo.

I quite like the look of this one because I am definitely not looking for something with a diamond(or glass, etc.) and she's not Irish so something a little Irish/Celtic is good(even though I don't think a Celtic Knot has any interesting meaning).

I took a walk around some jeweller today and very much felt like a fish out of water. It was actually a little funny because I'd quite often accidentally wander into the engagement ring area and get some funny looks or a lot of attention from the staff.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated :o

Drat, I've just realised the title is a little ambiguous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Could you ask a friend of hers for some clandestine advice?

I like the ring that you've chosen yourself.
    Does she have flat band like rings like it already?
    It can be quite difficult to tell if a ring will suit a hand, without trying it on.

If you bring a tracing of a circumference of a ring of hers, you should be fine.
    That or reconcile to maybe having to resize it after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭bananabunch

Are you sure you want to buy this girl a ring? I would be disappointed to get any ring from my boy that wasn't one that goes with 'the big question'. Even getting a necklace from my x was a disappointment because it came in a ring size box, even though I wouldn't have married him I was expecting a ring inside before I opened the box. Some ideas/help here:
    http://www.askmen.com/money/how_to_300/347_how_to.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Are you sure you want to buy this girl a ring? I would be disappointed to get any ring from my boy that wasn't one that goes with 'the big question'. Even getting a necklace from my x was a disappointment because it came in a ring size box, even though I wouldn't have married him I was expecting a ring inside before I opened the box. Some ideas/help here:
    http://www.askmen.com/money/how_to_300/347_how_to.html

The OP was asking advice on where to get a ring and not on if he should get one in the first place. From his posting it's clear that he has already made that 'Ring = Engagement' connection.

Tracing the diameter of an existing ring is a good idea but all rings can be adjusted slightly if too large or to small.
    One of my favourite jewellers is Barry Doyle though he's not to everyones tastes. Failing that I hunt out antique & vintage jewellery though at this time of the year thats probably not a good idea as the proscess of hunting and haggling requires time and patience.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭bananabunch

OldGoat wrote: »
    The OP was asking advice on where to get a ring and not on if he should get one in the first place. From his posting it's clear that he has already made that 'Ring = Engagement' connection.

Yes I can read that, he also says:
    the notion of buying jewellery is very alien to me

and
    Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated

My advice to him was to be sure that this was the right gift to buy. If you read a post saying that a man wanted to buy his partner a new iron/vacuum cleaner/washing machine etc for Christmas, I think it would be quite likely that you would advise him by asking are you sure that's what she wants. My boyfriend knows that we need a new vacuum but if I unwrapped on on Christmas morning I would not be thanking him. The link that I posted contained good advice about choosing jewellery for a girlfriend including this:

Avoid rings

You’ve heard of promise rings, engagement rings and wedding rings. Ever heard of a girlfriend ring? Of course not, because they don’t exist. Nor should they. You can’t win a fight against centuries of symbolism, so unless you’re already married or you plan to give her this ring on bended knee (more symbolism), the gift of a ring is just too loaded. It's not cute nor is it appreciated by women unless your intentions are clearly that of solid commitment and a future walk down the aisle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Hi, thanks everyone for the advice. I'm in work at the moment so I cant give a full reply.

The girlfriend isn't in the country at the moment and asking her friends would be tricky as they aren't in the country either(or in the same country as she is) and to be honest I don't think they would be able to tell me off-hand.

There is a bit of a story behind the decision so it really has to be a ring but I do see where bananabunch is coming from, even if I wouldn't entirely agree.

I don't have access to another ring of hers either so I cant even trace an outline. I guess I should ask a jewellers if they could guess her size and if not I'll have to get the information from her one way or another.

Thanks on the jeweller recommendation OldGoat, I'll check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Just for heads up. The celtic knot means man woman and child and an alternative meaning (post christianisation) is god spirit and man.

Find a friend of yours with similar sized hands/fingers and get her to try one on, rings can be adjusted.

Just make sure you get the metal right. Id hate it if someone bought me gold, and she might be the same about silver etc.

For unusual stuff Rhinestones on suffolk street/south andrews st (beside enfo) do really nice antique stuff

Advertisement