Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is needed for horse in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi,
    I have had horses all my life-but in Australia. Weather is not something we need to think about in terms of stabling rugs etc, its more can you provide shade by the way of trees etc.
    I have 12 acres of land here that i would like to have a horse on. But there is no shelter, ie no stables, field shelter or trees. The land is on top of a hill and so dosent flood, nor is there boggy slushy muddy ground that I sometimes see the poor horses having to stand in!. Its pretty well drained.
    My concern is, what should i provide over the winter? If i get some good rugs will it be enough? Or should I really provide some kind of shelter?
    Any advice appreciated.
    BTW, if it helps, will be getting either a thoroughbred or irish draft. No warm blds/arabs etc.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

As someone transplanted to Ireland from a similar climate to Austrailias(California), I understand your concerns.

You may want to walk around your field when it's windy. You may find there are hollows or spots that are protected from the wind that you don't expect. If you find there are protected areas, a shelter probably isn't needed.

if you don't find that, then you are going to need to provide some sort of shelter from the wind, particularly if your horse is alone in the field. You can buy or build a field shelter, which is the easiest thing. You can build some higher walls to give your horse a place to have a wind block.

Rain scald is a real problem here in Ireland for horses who live outside. You want a rug that is waterproof(that seems to be a "duh" thing, but you'd be surprised how many people put their poor horses out with non waterproof rugs), and that has a tail cover and at least a partial neck cover. You also need to take it off and make sure the horse is dry and clean underneath quite regularly. You will want to look at the horse daily and make sure the rug is on properly. The rug with help protect from the elements, and if he's out with other horses and not standing in mud, and has plenty of grass or hay, that will be enough. But if he's on his own, or with just one other horse, they really need a shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

thanks for your reply!
    yes there are pockets where it isnt windy at the bottom of the field where there is a forest so it kind of acts as a windbreak. And i would get the most durable water/windproof rug with neck. The horse i am looking at getting hates being stabled and lives out all year round currently so dont want to buy a shetler if he dosent like going in it. But maybe a dry spot for his feet would be more beneficial....?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

A dry place to stand out of the wind would help a lot. An area built up with wood chips (not sawdust) often works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Agree with the advice already given. The choice of horse is important also, in my opinion. Irish Draught more tolerant of cold and wet that TB, in my experience. Rug only really necessary if horse being clipped.

How about planting a windbreak at the side of the field where prevailing wind comes from? A line of something evergreen (perhaps the dreaded Lelandii) will develop into a natural shelter in a few years.

You should also consider a companion, maybe a small pony or a factory horse.

Any further advice you need, feel free to post or PM..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

As said above, Irish Draughts are far better outside than TBs who catch any and everything going. Both a rug and a form of shelter would be ideal, especially the shelter.

Other than that, a steady supply of hay or silage as there wouldnt be much grass growth and to make sure there is water (depite the rain:p)!

Connemaras are the hardyest of our horses if your unsure of what type. Just so ya know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement