Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti virus comparisons

• 06-12-2009 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I've always taken word of mouth to decide which anti virus i use and recommend to people. I just found this website though: http://www.av-comparatives.org

Instead of just doing really small comparisons on small groups of anti viruses it does them on many and frequently. From what i can see they do the main test reports every 3 months. There are crap loads of other tests i haven't checked out. This was just the latest report i took a look at (pdf form). Quite informative.

I always used avg but apparently avira is at the top of the list atm. The only problem that even though it's catching a lot of new threats, it gives a lot of false positives.

First a suggestion it might be added to the list of stickies (if not here then on virus/malware removal) and second what do people think in balancing the detection rate with false positives. Of course i want to make sure my pc is clean but i don't want to have everything pop up as a possible threat when it's not, it'd just bug the crap out of me.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It definitely does have a lot of false positives (relatively speaking). Depending on the person using it that could be a good thing (better to be safe than sorry). Seeing as I'm not really that worried about viruses I was tempted to move to something that while not as secure doesn't annoy me as much. I just couldn't find one I liked. I'm not a fan of AVG any more for reasons I don't even know and Avast makes some stupid sound whenever you hover over any button on its interface which is as stupid as it is annoying.

I've been using avira with it's hueristics level set to low instead of the default of medium and it hasn't given me anywhere near as many false positives. So that suits me down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I very rarely get false positives with ESET Smart Security, It's a great antivirus/firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seeing as I'm not really that worried about viruses I was tempted to move to something that while not as secure doesn't annoy me as much.
    Thats pretty much the bones of what caused me to stick with NIS after the first year came free with my laptop. While the Antivirus component is arguably not as powerful as others the entire suite itself is quiet and subtle. It pretty much makes a point of playing No .wav files or creating intrusive alerts.

@ Virus database has been updated!!!!1111!One!!!!") Are in themselves loud an annoying, and always seem to freeze up my machine for a couple seconds. And since you can never predict when it will update, it gets quite annoying :p and as far as Firewall's go, it only took me 2 days to uninstall comodo. If youve ever tried it, you understand.

Kind of like when comparing XP to Vista, sometimes it just comes down to personal taste, and not raw numbers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    Thats pretty much the bones of what caused me to stick with NIS after the first year came free with my laptop. While the Antivirus component is arguably not as powerful as others the entire suite itself is quiet and subtle. It pretty much makes a point of playing No .wav files

Yup, avira is annoying for that as well. Whenever it detects anything it has a pop up asking you what you would like to do which is fine but it makes a stupid noise while doing it. There is no need for the noise at all. Plus avira has an option to remember an action. So if you know something isn't a virus then you can just ignore it and tick the box to remember this action. The problem is it never seems to remember the action so it keeps popping up making some stupid noise everytime that folder is opened. Ugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

wow i'm like the complete opposite...norton used to drive me mad. Made my pc really slow and was very fast once i uninstalled it. The amount of pop ups on that drove me insane. Avg on the other hand doesn't bother me at all... never had that "virus database updated" thing :confused:

Comodo is my bread and butter. Unbelievably powerful firewall and the antivirus is nice too. I've got both on my pc. true it comes down to preference but as i mentioned before, i think it would be benificial to have charts that give definite data on how secure they are rather then relying on which one's "bing" and pop ups is the most annoying.

• Advertisement

So if you know something isn't a virus then you can just ignore it and tick the box to remember this action. The problem is it never seems to remember the action so it keeps popping up making some stupid noise everytime that folder is opened. Ugh!

Same with comodo. It'll first try learn your actions with the pc in training mode and then after that will try to predict what you want to do with new programs. Recently it's come up showing how many times its blocked or allowed similar situations below to help you out. The only time i really get pop ups is for installing software for the first time when software starts access protected reg files but you just switch it to install mode and it stops it all. I have to admit that while installing dodgy software it's a dream. I've found a few times software trying to modify reg keys that i really didn't want modified.

So if you know something isn't a virus then you can just ignore it and tick the box to remember this action. The problem is it never seems to remember the action so it keeps popping up making some stupid noise everytime that folder is opened. Ugh!

Same with comodo. It'll first try learn your actions with the pc in training mode and then after that will try to predict what you want to do with new programs. Recently it's come up showing how many times its blocked or allowed similar situations below to help you out. The only time i really get pop ups is for installing software for the first time when software starts access protected reg files but you just switch it to install mode and it stops it all. I have to admit that while installing dodgy software it's a dream. I've found a few times software trying to modify reg keys that i really didn't want modified.

wolfric wrote: »
    wow i'm like the complete opposite...norton used to drive me mad. Made my pc really slow and was very fast once i uninstalled it. The amount of pop ups on that drove me insane. Avg on the other hand doesn't bother me at all... never had that "virus database updated" thing :confused:

Comodo is my bread and butter. Unbelievably powerful firewall and the antivirus is nice too. I've got both on my pc. true it comes down to preference but as i mentioned before, i think it would be benificial to have charts that give definite data on how secure they are rather then relying on which one's "bing" and pop ups is the most annoying.

Like I said above it depends on the person. Some people will look for the best, most secure one they can get. Others (like me) are looking for something un-intrusive and would be willing to sacrifice security a little for it. Which is why I'm using avira at low hueristic level. Not as secure but because it has less false positives it's a lot less annoying. The best would probably be avira with hueristics level set to high but you would get a lot of false positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I have to say i'm very proud of my Avast!

i really dont mind the pop up for database update at all, it gives me confidence :)

i never had any problems with avast and its scanning everything on sites without slowing it down.

i'd recommend it over AVG or MC Afee,

it was able to pick up stuff others couldn't (Trojan's, virus's etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

My computer at uni uses Avast too, and it's quite good I must admit. For my home PC, I don't run any anti-virus software as I don't think you need one (provided you know how your PC functions). In two years of not running any anti-virus software, I've only had two 'infections' which I've managed to remove myself. I just use HiJackThis and CCleaner to assist me every now and then though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's what I hated about Comodo firewall. Tried a couple of others but for far less annoyances the PC Tools firewall is excellent. Online Armor is great, but more annoying.

For AV, Avira again, mainly because of the AV site above. I like Avast but just feel more secure with Avira, despite false positives!

One thing that bugged me about the AV site they only rate the Premium, paid suites, eg. the Avira paid suite. I just assume the the free version is the same, just without the bells and whistles. I assume its the same product without the extras?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Kevster wrote: »
    For my home PC, I don't run any anti-virus software as I don't think you need one (provided you know how your PC functions).

I used to think that but even knowing how your pc works... threats aren't always in the random exe that pops up for you to download. exploits that run through a browser, it's impossible to be able to stay safe all the time. Every website no matter how credible is open to being exploited and running 0day exploits that infect other users. Hell if government websites and websites well used and secure such as banks, online shopping (ebay,amazon) can be hacked/exploited then really even if you're very very very careful, the only way you can be sure is if you really just don't connect to the internet at all.

Not all infections are obvious. trojans that lie dormant for the most part (perhaps part of a botnet) could cause no noticeable signs you've been infected. Here's a helpful link to drive by download in a video. I know it's in internet explorer but you're still open to attack in other browsers such as firefox

I just skimmed through watching that video, but I still feel confident that I can catch everything myself for two reasons: I'm paranoid and I've got OCD (diagnosed...)!

Kevin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

K-9 wrote: »
    That's what I hated about Comodo firewall. Tried a couple of others but for far less annoyances the PC Tools firewall is excellent. Online Armor is great, but more annoying.

For AV, Avira again, mainly because of the AV site above. I like Avast but just feel more secure with Avira, despite false positives!

One thing that bugged me about the AV site they only rate the Premium, paid suites, eg. the Avira paid suite. I just assume the the free version is the same, just without the bells and whistles. I assume its the same product without the extras?

The core anti virus is identical but the paid version just has enhanced anti malware for browsing email etc.

http://www.free-av.com/en/pages/6/comparative_chart.html

Running Comodo Firewall + Avira myself find them great. Comodo is annoying for the first day or two (With previous versions it was annoying for about a week). After that install mode gets rid of the rest of the annoyances. Although probably its single best selling point is that it is not zone alarm.

Ohhhh Zone alarm. That lasted an hour before I tried Comodo. To Comodo's credit I gave it 2 days of my patience, but I threw it in when it seemed to forget allowances I had told it to give programs. I must have got a prompt each time I wanted to play on a different counterstrike server. Now that kind of by-IP filtering feels powerful but I couldnt bear the headache.
    robbie_998 wrote: »
    I have to say i'm very proud of my Avast!

i really dont mind the pop up for database update at all, it gives me confidence
    Thats why my boss made me install it on everything, after I put it on my own work machine. He heard the popup and said "That updates by itself?! Do that. Get rid of this McAfee **** while youre at it."
    wow i'm like the complete opposite...norton used to drive me mad. Made my pc really slow and was very fast once i uninstalled it. The amount of pop ups on that drove me insane. Avg on the other hand doesn't bother me at all... never had that "virus database updated" thing
    interesting. that popup is a default setting. im sure if i bothered I could disable it..

But as for norton popups (these days, anyway) they arent intrusive. It tells you when its doing something (like background scanning) and when it finds something you might be interested in, but they work like the windows-bubbles, they disappear after a moment and can be dismissed.

marco_polo wrote: »
    The core anti virus is identical but the paid version just has enhanced anti malware for browsing email etc.

http://www.free-av.com/en/pages/6/comparative_chart.html

Running Comodo Firewall + Avira myself find them great. Comodo is annoying for the first day or two (With previous versions it was annoying for about a week). After that install mode gets rid of the rest of the annoyances. Although probably its single best selling point is that it is not zone alarm.

Cheers, was thinking that. The free version has some Anti malware built in too.

Actually was getting Zone Alarm and Comodo mixed up, it was Zone Alarm I used, a nightmare. Online Armor is excellent, I'd recommend it too. Just trying out PC Tools and it seems good.

Think you have to keep up to date on the security tools, maybe every 6 months. Time was Spybot and Adaware was the default malware tools, now Malwarebytes and SUPERantispyware are better.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yup, avira is annoying for that as well. Whenever it detects anything it has a pop up asking you what you would like to do which is fine but it makes a stupid noise while doing it. There is no need for the noise at all. Plus avira has an option to remember an action. So if you know something isn't a virus then you can just ignore it and tick the box to remember this action. The problem is it never seems to remember the action so it keeps popping up making some stupid noise everytime that folder is opened. Ugh!

You can just turn it off? (Or get it to play rick Ashley wav files, whatever floats your boat) :p

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/79932/98149.jpg

marco_polo wrote: »
    You can just turn it off? (Or get it to play rick Ashley wav files, whatever floats your boat) :p

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/79932/98149.jpg
    Did not know that. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The new Microsoft antivirus is listed there as being quite strong. Has anyone tried it out? I installed it on a netbook last night just to give it a go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Trotter wrote: »
    The new Microsoft antivirus is listed there as being quite strong. Has anyone tried it out? I installed it on a netbook last night just to give it a go.

I use microsoft security essentials and find it great. Used to use Avira, but that bloody pop up ad and false possitives started to really annoy me (Avira while being strong on this list I did have many false possitives with). Microsoft SE just sits there, silently updates, and doesn't use up much resources at all. There have been a few virus files I have received and it picked them up straight away, very easy to quarentine, take other actions etc at this point. Try it out and download the Eicar test file to see it in action :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've gone through liking many different av progs down through the years but Nod32 is my one of choice, nothing beats it for being unintrusive and light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Viruses are completely over-rated.

I have Avast installed but I turned off all of the "providers" and had only the standard shield running.

I've since turned off the standard shield so I have no on-access protection at all now. If I am about to double click on a dubious file I can just right click and scan it manually. Or do a full computer scan every few months.

On the topic of firewalls, I LOVE when my firewall prompts me to create a rule on whatever application is trying to connect to the net. It gives so much control. Using Windows 7 Firewall control.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    they werent always. Back in the day the average joe soap had no way to protect himself from them other than watch his email like a hawk and hope he didnt contract a Drive-Killer. Nowadays security is free, OSs are vastly more secure and the threats have gotten a little tamer because of how much more sophisticated theyre needing to be.

You can still pick up some nasty adware and worms that will try and pull your saved passwords list and whatever else they can get their mitts on. Not to mention the backdoors that can turn your granny's machine into a slave on the botnet. Im sure theres plenty more threats out there - I never got into the Dark Arts, so I cant say with any certainty.

If anyone thinks they're safe on their own, try reading some of the up coming news on this site and get back to me.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/
    Here's a quick quote i grabbed from an article on the main page (there's probably a lot more dangerous stuff out there without fixes and new i'm just too lazy right now)

heh. nobody use IE :pac:

i'm afraid you're wrong there although firefox has taken up a huge hold. Take a look at this report
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

i'm afraid you're wrong there. Firefox has taken up a huge hold. Take a look at this report
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

I suppose it has become a victim of its success. Fixes are usually out quicker in Firefox though and there are loads of Security Add ons.

Bob_Harris wrote: »

I have Avast installed but I turned off all of the "providers" and had only the standard shield running.

I've since turned off the standard shield so I have no on-access protection at all now. If I am about to double click on a dubious file I can just right click and scan it manually. Or do a full computer scan every few months.

On the topic of firewalls, I LOVE when my firewall prompts me to create a rule on whatever application is trying to connect to the net. It gives so much control. Using Windows 7 Firewall control.

Teke it one step further, Bob, and remove the anti-virus software altogether. I've had no anti-virus software on my machine for a few yeasr now and everything's been fine.

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose it has become a victim of its success. Fixes are usually out quicker in Firefox though and there are loads of Security Add ons.
    Certainly FF is becoming an increasing source of attention to hackers et all, its still vulnerable to threats on far fewer days of the year than IE. And of course you can always jump ship to another browser if it starts getting arse raped.

Don't you just get really pissed off when you find something great and then you get a bunch of idiots who shout it around and then everyone jumps on board and it gets the crap exploited out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Find Avast great tbh, but if ye keep away from porn sites you won't pick up many infections. :D

na that's hookers your thinking of. I'd say always wear protection but that really just doesn't cut it. I doubt porn sites are that more dangerous than other sites.

porn sites are the hooker and AV is the condom. Trojans are the STD. I though everyone knew this.

trojans? no viruses my friend... if you had a trojan for an std you'd probably have an infectable gps tracker, hypnotically suggestible and a probe... and let's be honest... thats the kind of thing only chuck norris can give you from shag

Advertisement