Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WHO will you be supporting at the World Cup 2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I will be supporting Argentina because of diego and Ive always liked their players. They are sure not to ne boring. That said Id like to see the African teams do well and England, to a point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

C'mon the Netherlands :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I was at their last game in 1998 when they beat Bulgaria 6-1 ... But the other game in the group saw Paraguay beat previous 100%ers Nigeria and Spain were gone.

The mood that night in Lens was a bit ugly, Spanish fans were convinced (even before the games) that money had changed hands and that Nigeria had been bought off by Paraguay.

It was a big story in Spain but had no impact around the rest of the world as everyone else was continuing with the tournament.

Interesting. Though to be fair, people always say thing like that without any proof whatsoever. Same in 1978. The Brazilians claimed that Peru were bribed by the Argies to lose by 4 goals (ended 6-0) but Peru hit the woodwork twice in the first 20 minutes when the score was 0-0. I dont think anybody could be that accurate in their attempt to miss a shot on goal.

In 1998, Norway beat previous 100%ers Brazil to knock out Morocco at the very end of the game. Theres was no claiming that Brazil had been bribed. These things happen so I'd take those Spanish claims with a grain of salt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

England, our neighbours (and dearest friends!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Brazil, because over the years they have produced massive amounts of exciting players so always like to see them do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

04072511 wrote: »
    Do explain. Yes they were cheated in 2002, but I cant recall any others. 1998 they certainly werent cheated anyway. They went out in the group stages because they bottled it.

Henry cheated them out of it in 2006 when he dived and feigned injury to try and get their player sent off and was awarded a free kick that wasn't. The french got their winner from that free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

When Brazil play according to their tradition they are magical! The in form teams of this world like Spain will come and go, but Brazil will always be Brazil. 1982 - Zico, Socrates, Eder etc what a team, since then it's always been Brazil for me.

When Brazil play according to their tradition they are magical! The in form teams of this world like Spain will come and go, but Brazil will always be Brazil. 1982 - Zico, Socrates, Eder etc what a team, since then it's always been Brazil for me.

Brazil havent always been beautiful to watch. Their 1974 team played ugly football. They werent anything special in 1990 either.

Their 1982 was great and really should have won that World Cup, but they do at times play suicidal football, which is why they lost out to Italy that year.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Henry cheated them out of it in 2006 when he dived and feigned injury to try and get their player sent off and was awarded a free kick that wasn't. The french got their winner from that free

Of course!

Prat!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

how the hell have the English such high support on this pole??:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

btw, il be supporting Spain

MickTipp wrote: »
    how the hell have the English such high support on this pole??:mad:

They dont! 4 times as many people are not shouting for them. 80% to 20%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Vive La France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Spain cesc-y football
    N Korea- I'm so roonry
    New Zealand- can they do the haka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Do explain. Yes they were cheated in 2002, but I cant recall any others. 1998 they certainly werent cheated anyway. They went out in the group stages because they bottled it.
    '94 the infamously unpunished Tassotti elbow on Enrique in the penalty box moments before Baggio scored the winner.

'02 need not explain

'06 Henry cheating (which he later admitted to as 'gamesmanship') to win a free and get Puyol booked which resulted in France going in front

So that's 3 of the last 4 World Cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Does anyone know why ppl are trying to get me to support ivory coast for world cup. Am after getting numerous emails about it).?

No idea who to support. Spain or brazil prob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In 1998, Norway beat previous 100%ers Brazil to knock out Morocco at the very end of the game. Theres was no claiming that Brazil had been bribed. These things happen so I'd take those Spanish claims with a grain of salt.

Actually there was. I watched this one in one of the main squares in Paris, the one at Hotel De Ville where there was a big screen erected.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B4tel_de_Ville,_Paris

The local Moroccans who were roughly 50% of the watching audience ran amok, firstly with joy as they were beating Scotland (this was the game shown on the screen), and then in a rage as word filtered through that Norway were beating Brazil.

And by 'word filtered through' I mean just that - The French organisers (shower of incompetent merdeheads) chose to show this game on a feed that had no commentary nor any updates from the Norway/Brazil game taking place at the same time. This being a time just before everyone had a mobile phone etc so no-one had much of a clue what the score was in the other game. The Clouseaus in charge of the organisation decided not to give us the score from the other game but show it in full afterwards to try to keep the suspense going.

After the game the Morocco crew got very upset with the handful of rather bemused Brazillians there, waving Franc notes in their faces, smashing a few windows and overturning a couple of cars before they got shepherded away by the riot gendarmes.

I agree with you though, I don't think either the Paraguay game or the Norway game was a 'fix'. Though the Moroccans probably feel aggrieved about it to this day. (Much like Thierry Henry will always be a dagger through our hearts long after the rest of the world has forgotten it).

Edit. @ Queen Mise.. Probably because their flag is sort of the same as ours - Didier Drogba suggested we support them for this reason so a bit of a campaign has started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Algeria FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Ghana and Switzerland for me again this time. Ghana really found a place in my heart in Germany and i've always thrown my support behind the swiss. I'll be rootin for the Hosts of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Brazil havent always been beautiful to watch. Their 1974 team played ugly football. They werent anything special in 1990 either.

Their 1982 was great and really should have won that World Cup, but they do at times play suicidal football, which is why they lost out to Italy that year.

BRazil arnt all taht magical now they are more functional and practical which is why i rate their chances even more now!!

for a country that loves underdogs cant understand how Spain have such a high percentile. I guarantee the next World Cup if they win this one people will be fed up with them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Does anyone know why ppl are trying to get me to support ivory coast for world cup. Am after getting numerous emails about it).?

No idea who to support. Spain or brazil prob

Because of this...probably:

IvoryCoast-flag.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Argentina

chupacabra wrote: »
    Ghana and Switzerland for me again this time. Ghana really found a place in my heart in Germany and i've always thrown my support behind the swiss. I'll be rootin for the Hosts of course.

Sepp Blatter is Swiss so not thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Spain or Argentina.

I've always liked both teams.

I'd like to see Germany do well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

England or Spain to win it for me, hope Spain do as the English would be talking about it for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Holland. The Arsenal of international football, in that they play the most entertaining footy but consistently win no trophies.

Ill look out for Australia as well, few big name players but they play well as a unit (and besides, if England win their group and Australia comes 2nd, it will be Oz vs England in the last 16. Given their old rivalry it will be sopme buzz watching it out here :) )

Given how far they have come out of nowhere I would also wish Slovenia well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Forza Italia (no neo-facist geo-political movement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Germany. I lived there for a year and have a jersey of theirs. Good enough reason for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

England then Ghana for me and Ivory Coast in third,

I loved watching the passion and spirit showed by the Ghana under 20 world cup winners recently.

I would not be too surprised to see the full team do really well at the world cup either.

Advertisement