Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a bird of Prey person!

Options
  • 06-12-2009 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I say Kestrel they say peregrine falcon. My main reason for saying kestrel is the marking from the corner of the eye and the lack of speckles on the chest compared to a peregrine falcon!

sq5953.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, thats a gorgeous bird.
    Can you post a side or rear view? I'm not a bird expert but have seen a Kestrel up close, so far as I know the Peregrine Falcon has more muted brown tones. The Kestrel is more rusty coloured on wings with paler grey/brown on the head.
    Is it young or adult? Do you know if its male or female?
    try posting on the nature and birdwatching forum, they could give a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

you are a genius i didnt think of there! will post up anther view soon. And the person who says its a peregrine says its a 2=3 yrs old male.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

im not big on falcons otr kestrels but from what i can tell its a peregrine falcon, any kestrel iv come across had darker chest feathers. Nice lookin bird tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Its a Kestrel, a Peregrine Falcon has more of a dark 'hood' on its head, the Kestrel has the 'tear stain' marks under its eyes

see thats what i thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

Hi Jules, this bird is a Lanner Falcon, a female by the looks but hard to tell by a photo. Take a look on my website woodlandsfalcory.com in the gallery of falcons you can see my lanners.

If you send me an e mail to info@woodlandsfalconry.com and put in your mobile number I will help you find who owns her. (or call me as my number in on my website)

In the meantime, don't feed her cooked meat of ANY kind, (but I see she is already fed in the pic) the handiest is a fresh raw chicken breast or leg to keep her going 'til the owner is found.

I know from having lost a bird in the past that it is an awful time for a falconer. so please get in touch as the falconry community is quite a small one.
    Thanks
    Tom

Hey Tom , it was myself that phoned you today! And you were spot on Sean came in to collect her and was delighted to have her back! We were feeding her day old chicks i have to say she cuased quite a stir in the practice. Something new a different. Might take myself and the other nurses from the practice down to your place for the day, if its open to the public!

Again thanks for the help, she is a top bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

By all means come and visit, we are open Wednesday to Sunday 10.30 until 5
    just take the Shilleleagh road from Tullow, and you cannot miss Rathwood on your right, its about 4 miles out.

Or ring Woodlands Falconry Centre on 059-9156878

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

this bird is a Lanner Falcon

Well you learn something new everyday, I would have put money on it being a Kestrel :)
    Beautiful bird, glad the owners been found!

Advertisement