Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 upgrade experience

• 06-12-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive got a dual boot windows xp and linux ubuntu configuration. I use the xp partition for online gaming but nothing else, i use the ubuntu for internet , essays etc.

Is there any point in me upgrading to windows 7? I unfortunately used to have windows vista-and vista was such a mess that i decided to downgrade to xp for windows. Is windows 7 all just hype or is it actaully a decent operating system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hi

Ive got a dual boot windows xp and linux ubuntu configuration. I use the xp partition for online gaming but nothing else, i use the ubuntu for internet , essays etc.

Is there any point in me upgrading to windows 7? I unfortunately used to have windows vista-and vista was such a mess that i decided to downgrade to xp for windows. Is windows 7 all just hype or is it actaully a decent operating system?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:)
    You will eventually have to upgrade though...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Naikon wrote: »
    You will eventually have to upgrade though...
    Windows XP dates from 2001 and for many people it's just fine

Unless you need the new features there isn't really a reason to upgrade. Windows 7 is more secure than XP out of the box, but by now there are plenty of patches and third party apps. And as you say you use ubuntu to surf anyway.

Windows 7 won't be faster than XP on older hardware.

If you buy new hardware it will probably have windows 7 pre-installed so while you will have to move to a different version of windows eventually it will be because you change the HW not because you change the SW

Direct X 10 is one reason to move from XP but if your games don't require it then no point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I find Windows is just as fast, if not faster then XP, and Ubuntu (Altho ive only used Ubuntu for a few mins so far), so id say it is worth the Upgrade altho, if you like yourcurrent OS's then just stick to em, you prob know everything about them, up to yourself, all i can tell you is that Windows 7 is much much better then Vista (Thats not hard i know)

Advertisement