Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rangefinder questions

• 06-12-2009 11:51am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

investing in a rangefinder for xmas, cheap and secondhand is the port of call, any views? also looking into some retro toy cams, lo fi and that jazz...again cheap - looking your way al :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

There are quite a few options in second hand fixed-lens rangefinders that can be had for less than a little over 100 Euro.

Ones you'll probably want to have a look at include:
    • Canonet QL17 GIII
    • Yashica Electro GSN
    • Olympus XA

There are plenty more than these, but they're probably a good place to start your investigation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

looking at the Bilora Bella, anyone used one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

You could go all out and spend 30k on this kit...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/19072/cat/3

http://www.rangefinderforum.com

I think this site might help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

looking at the Bilora Bella, anyone used one?

Cheap, gaudy, not a rangefinder, retro, it's a perfect match for you.

There's a beauty of an Olympus on Adverts at the moment, fantastic fixed lens RF with an asking price of 160 - and tbh, it's in perfect nick, so worth not far off that.

Charybdis posted a few more suggestions at the start of the thread, although I'm not sure if they're cool/retro/Urban Outfitters enough for you :)

Have a look for Zorki's and Fed's too. They'll take a photograph, have cheap lenses, and are based on the Leica models, with added communism Russian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Damnit, I was going to smugly point out that while the Feds were based on Leicas, the Zorkis were based on contax's. complete memory fail, it's of course the Kievs that are. They are, incidentally, another FSU rangefinder to consider. I keep on meaning to buy a Zorki 6 but things like turret viewfinders, and gigantic LF shutters or 300mm process lenses keep on arriving instead. I really must take all those russian and ukrainian sellers off my ebay faved seller listings ...

Anyhow, I think the japanese basics are covered above, Yashica, Olympus, and Canon, and Fajitas has introduced the FSU rangefinders. For a little more of an outlay you could look at the various Bessa (cosina) LTM and M mount rangefinders. Some of them are quite nice and the prices are reasonable enough. There are even a few oddities in there, like the R, which only has a long base rangefinder (no viewfinder) and the L, which has neither a rangefinder nor a viewfinder !

I myself have an olympus XA. Its good stopped down a bit, but the rangefinder is a bit of an afterthought. It's given me some nice shots though, and it's a wee little thing so I normally end up carrying it around the place quite a bit.

• Advertisement

I think they're all a bit too cheap/unhipster for what Mele's after :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

outside of Leica's

Konica Auto S3 or Minolta Himatic s7 ii -- I have both and both have amzing lens (as in legends) and are so easy to use ...

If you want something different Voitlander Vito's are deadly ...I am biased I think these are the best old cameras I own .. I now am not far off the full range .. I hate colour photography but something about that color skopar voitlander lens renders colours so beautifully ... if I shoot in colour i pick up a vito... and the viewfinder is huge and bright... a real pleasure ( as well as being sexy looking cameras)

the konica though is the veritable dogs B!! ..one of few that has ability to take a meter reading where you want , hold it by keeping shutter button half depressed whilst you reframe .... and it has auto fill in flash settings !! only one I believe that does. (still to test this mind as flash and I are not friends)

konica Auto S3
    4160501535_23ffa6594f_o.jpg

3351434921_cce11e5cfb_b.jpg

Voitlander Vitos

VITO B

2868574866_d4fef4f1af.jpg

2868587644_57327ca7c6.jpg

VITOMATIC II

3754906545_68fd6e68fb.jpg

ALL Color Skopar lens ....

Actually, for that priceless hipster bling, leica IIIc's aren't actually that expensive. Stick on some FSU LTM lenses and the entire thing wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred euros. Actually I'm surprised the LSI hasn't cottoned onto them yet, they're exactly the sort of thing they could completely strip EBay of and then sell on at twice the price. OTOH a 50% markup is probably about 10 times less than what they're used to charging :D

Don't talk about it Daire!

Their evil fixie riding, ironic t-shirt wearing minions are out searching for new ways of raping hipsters' pockets EVERY day, and screwing the rest of us in the process!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I have a leica III F with an elmar lens yet to take it for a test run but looking forward to seeing the outcome .....

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Don't talk about it Daire!

Their evil fixie riding, ironic t-shirt wearing minions are out searching for new ways of raping hipsters' pockets EVERY day, and screwing the rest of us in the process!

Those BASTARDS !
    Speaking of fixie riding actually, I'm just waiting for the fix step to finish up on an experimental diy reversal dev. Shot some provia, 1st dev in diafine, then reeled it out and exposed it to the sun, then re-tanked it and I'm currently giving it a normal C-41 process. Anyone ever done this ? What were the results like ? I'm curious. I'm expecting something slide like but probably wacked colours ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hehe im just after something cheap and crappy that will give unusual results. rangefinder, small and take some wacks, the oly is an option and the fed and zorkis are on my short list, was expecting circa 50 bills of a rangefinder...seems they are not so cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

One lo-fi camera I found recently is the vivitar ultra wide and slim, one shutter speed, lovely wide lens, feather weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

hehe im just after something cheap and crappy that will give unusual results. rangefinder, small and take some wacks, the oly is an option and the fed and zorkis are on my short list, was expecting circa 50 bills of a rangefinder...seems they are not so cheap...

Hipster eh? Cheap eh? Take some knocks eh?

Refurbished Olympus trip in a range of colours http://www.tripman.co.uk

duffarama wrote: »
    Hipster eh? Cheap eh? Take some knocks eh?

Refurbished Olympus trip in a range of colours http://www.tripman.co.uk

I'm just going to quote fajitas again here ...
    fajitas wrote:

:D

I'm just going to quote fajitas again here ...

:D

hummm, they are only 30 online tho...

do the feds take the bayonet mount?

hummm, they are only 30 online tho..
    There we go, problem solved.

Out of pure and utter morbid curiosity... Why do you want a rangefinder? (Nevermind one without a rangefineder :pac: )

There we go, problem solved.

Out of pure and utter morbid curiosity... Why do you want a rangefinder? (Nevermind one without a rangefineder :pac: )

a small film camera thats decent quality to keep in my bag when out and about basically, a g10 is a bit outta my range

Well, if you want 'decent quality', why don't you save up a bit further than 30 quid?

You'll stray out of the 'Lomo fanboy' range, and into the good fixed lens rangefinder range.

ya dont rate those trips then no?

i suppose a zorki isnt too expensive... is there really a huge quality jump?

• Advertisement

Plenty of others do. I'd rather be able to focus.

Zorki's are grand cameras. Very finicky, and don't like being used the wrong way, but they'll take knocks and bumps. They'll usually come with a 50 f/1.8 or an 80 f/2 - Both are grand lenses. Quality jump is huge. They're made from far better materials (Which is saying something, considering they're a mass produced Commy-cam) than the Trip (IMO of course.)

They're not quiet, but grand little workers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Now I've said it before and it came down to perspection and size of pockets in the end...but range finders aren't small. No matter how far away you stand.

Well, I'd call 'small' being able to fit into my pocket - namely because none of my SLR's, TLR's or 4x5's will fit into my pocket...

Your a bit like a rangefinder yourself Al. Deceptively huge (and I've measured your pockets too...huge, bigger than any normal person).

Hah. Yes, I do believe you got a shock the last time I was standing beside you...

humberklog wrote: »
    Now I've said it before and it came down to perspection and size of pockets in the end...but range finders aren't small. No matter how far away you stand.

My Olympus XA is tiny. Smallest full frame 35mm camera with a functioning rangefinder IIRC, there are one or two smaller 35mm compacts but they're scale focus (the rollei 35 and some 35mm minox). Just slide open the clamshell and it's ready to shoot immediately.
    Your a bit like a rangefinder yourself Al. Deceptively huge (and I've measured your pockets too...huge, bigger than any normal person).

:eek::eek::eek:

-ahem-

This is an exhaustive list of small fixed lens rangefinders with the pros and cons of each one ...
    http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

If you're happy with scale focusing, look at the Rollei 35 SE. Gorgeous looking cam. And tiiiiiiny.

Hah. Yes, I do believe you got a shock the last time I was standing beside you...

Frottage does that to me:pac:.

good god this just gets worse !

Get a room you two !

Although ...

lol @ HK for use of Frottage. Now there's a word that doesn't get out often enough.

But is the XA a rangefinder? Beautiful camera, nicest I've ever seen and that was only recently. Katie maloe on here has one and it is stunning. Cracking pics too. Didn't know it was a rangefinder.

• Advertisement

Christ. Do NOT Google.
    good god this just gets worse !

Get a room you two !

:pac:
    (the rollei 35 and some 35mm minox).

The Minox, that's the one LSI based their LCA on, right? Or is that a Minolta?

Either way, they're TINY. Like 'klogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

What about a Yashica Electro ?
    I had one once but all I'm left with now is the shoebox full of photos. I've been thinking of getting another, just to have with me in a back pack or whatever, they're pretty big though, definitely not shirt pocket.
    I used to focus it from the scale on the lense, either the rangefinder was bust or I wasn't knowledgeable in its use (jeez, that was some camera club I was a member of;)).

NJ

But is the XA a rangefinder? Beautiful camera, nicest I've ever seen and that was only recently. Katie maloe on here has one and it is stunning. Cracking pics too. Didn't know it was a rangefinder.

You were rather drunk trying to use it... Yep, it's a rangefinder!

Either way, they're TINY. Like 'klogs' Olympus Trip.

FYP;)

You were rather drunk trying to use it... Yep, it's a rangefinder!

Then that's the camera Meleetc. It's the camera of kings.

Yeah the rangefinder patch is quite dim and hard to see. It's semi useful as long as you're not in a hurry. Alternatively you can stop it down to f/5.6 and just scale or hyperfocus.
    Christ. Do NOT Google.

There are pictures ?? Wouldn't they just show two fully clothed people standing quite close to one another looking faintly uncomfortable ???
    Fajitas! wrote:
    The Minox, that's the one LSI based their LCA on, right? Or is that a Minolta?

Either way, they're TINY. Like 'klogs.

Neither one, The LCA is based on this cosina: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Cosina_CX-2

The minox I was thinking of is the minox 35 http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Minox_35 which is apparently (at least according to camerapedia) the worlds smallest full frame 35mm camera.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't they just show two fully clothed people standing quite close to one another looking faintly uncomfortable ???

I don't particularly fancy anyone looking o'er my shoulder while Googling it - And apparently, it's with lack of clothing. :-/
    What about a Yashica Electro ?
    My problem with the Electro is its reliance on batteries, the rest should work without - You won't have a meter, but manual mode will work no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I really like my Zorki K4, it isn't exactly small, and as Fajita's
    points out it's a bit fussy about the method of operation, but
    they are quite robust and you can pick them up pretty cheap
    at markets etc... What really sells this camera for me is the
    Jupiter 8 lense. here are two image I took with the 4K:
    3802666456_b414da5a61.jpg

3802666838_9a901a2827.jpg

My brother has run an Oly trip for quite awhile now and he is quite satisfied with it.

9F35E633A5CB40298C766F301F936AAE-500.jpg

Careful now.

I think your name has to be bigger. And in a more obscure font.

It needs a black border too. It'll really compliment the tones.

I think your name has to be bigger. And in a more obscure font.

It needs a black border too. It'll really compliment the tones.

1st time doin' it and I had all those thingies in mind!!! Squiggly writing, boarder all the garb...but alas...

I really wanted to get the squiggles to your left in a thought bubble but don't have the nous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Here's a top class camera for ya ! Its kinda 'nippy' ! oh and............very light :eek: Its not a rangefinder though, I'm not sure if it would 'find' anything actually (even tho its 'focus-free') :p
    /remember buying it at an auction for £8 !!

9FBA824B2C95491280E397F88B028B7E-500.jpg

Advertisement