Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for a kid?

• 06-12-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm buying a phone for a St. Vincent De Paul Christmas present for a child, I don't know what age child (I'm assuming 12+ as you'd hardly give a younger child a phone) or if its for a boy or a girl (if the phones not pink I suppose it wouldn't make too much difference). I don't know too much about phones - I have an old Nokia 6300 as it does the job. What kind of phone would a kid of that age want? I'm only 23 but have no idea which one to get... makes me feel so old!

I've been told to buy meteor and I'd rather buy from xtra-vision as I have a €50 voucher for there that expires at the end of the December so I may as well put it towards some good. Budget-wise, I guess maybe €100 - but I'd say that you'd want a bit of phone credit too, wouldn't you?

Any recommendations?

http://www.xtravision.ie/collection/27/meteor-phones-page-1.aspx

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Excuse me, but: wtf?

Why not add a pack of Marlboros?

You are buying an unknown kid sth that quite possibly is harmful for children?

Well, charity starts at home...but this is puzzling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

strecker wrote: »
    Excuse me, but: wtf?

Why not add a pack of Marlboros?

Well, charity starts at home...but this is puzzling

Huh? How are phones harmful for children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

If SVP approve of giving phones to children ...I'd recommend that the OP double checks cos i dont see the problem tbh..
    OP, how about the a simple fairly study phone such as the Nokia 2630, or 5220 or Sony Ericsson W200i (which has been out for at least 2 years, but they are reliable and last)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Are the SVdP recommending pay-as-you-go phones as presents for underprivileged preteens?

(Just want to clarify if it's an official recommendation from the charity or not before I start ranting. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

strecker wrote: »

How? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Thanks KatCookie for the constructive recommendations.

I'm too interested in debating the morals of giving phones to children. The charity is organised through work, I'm 99% sure it's SVP and the idea is getting a child a present (not cash) that their parents may not be able to afford due recession, pay cuts, job loss, etc... I said that I'd participate and have been asked to get a Meteor phone. I have no idea the age of the child, I was just assuming age 12, could be 14/15+.

Strecker I think that its fairly safe to assume that kids want phones, ipods, PS3s, etc... what would you deem a more appropriate charity gift? A nice wholesome bag of oranges?

I'm spending €100 of my money on a child in the hope that it makes some kid's Christmas '09 a bit more special so the last thing I'm looking for is some rant or someone coming on here criticising me.

Advertisement