Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I leave to pursue my dreams?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok a bit of background, im working for a small callcentre which pays ok. my role has changed since i started over a year ago, I have a lot of extra work to do now which should really be handled by my manager who see's me as an unofficial team leader. I have raised this issue many times over the year and have asked for a new contract outlining my new role or a pay rise and it was acknowledged at first but is not being addressed any more, even though the company is quite well to do (fact).
    I have recently had a sort of awakening and now feel like I am being taken for a ride and I feel that my hours of labour are a waste of my precious time. Money was my main motivator for doing the job but now that I know im not going to get what my work is worth ( I know what I do is worth more because others on the same salary and role as me are not made do anything extra,or asked to put in more hours etc.) money has taken a back seat and I'm know thinking about my quality of life.
    There are so many things I want to do that I dont have time for because of the extra duty and I feel like I want to quit and follow my dreams, get a skill or trade and employ myself eventually. However, it is 2009 and deep in recession and Im worried that it might be a bad idea to quit. But every day I am in work being exploited feels like another day of my life wasted. I have very few debts, car is almost paid, no mortgage (renting), etc. I have some savings should I ever need to fall abck on them so this is not a worry.

So the question is, should I just take the plunge, quit, apply for jobseekers and see what happens down the road or should I try to work something out with employer (have a feeling I will be ignored) and continue on working begrudgingly as I have done the last few months? Also if I raised how I felt with my manager would I be let go?

I would appreciate any advice from anyone in a similar situation, and general opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Important to remember that job seekers is just for people who have lost their job and are seeking a new one. If you leave your job you will have to wait a minimum of 12 weeks and you may be means tested.

I say get trained to the same standard as the manager then apply for their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,

Was in the same situation recently where I felt I was being treated badly in work. I felt I was one of the best workers in the company and was being walked all over.

Decided to apply for jobs that I thought I would be really qualified for. After about 20 applications I realized how bad it is out there. I didn't get a single interview and just one phone call.

In the end I decided to hand in my notice and get a visa for Canada and will be leaving soon.
    I am really glad I left the place but I really think you should have a plan before you hand in your notice. If you are planning on going on the dole you have to accept that you may be on it for a very long time. As the other poster said you will be disqualified for the first few weeks (nine I think).

I think you should apply for a few jobs and see how you get on before taking the plunge. Was out of work for a few weeks a while back and it really is boring. Going on the dole should be a last resort in my experience.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement