Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did it take u to recover after surgery?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just had my appendix out over 3 weeks ago. I am still in alot of pain and feel very weak. Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone recommend anything I could take or meals to have to build myself back up?

I am getting very impatient with it all at the moment!

Any advice is welcomed!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Recovery really depends on the person. I had abdominal surgery and been in hospital with complications for 7 weeks- but I've also had multiple resections of my small intestine, and been out of hospital 3 days later (note- I was back in hospital a week later- as I burst my staples, and had to be restapled back together- so if you do get out early- seriously- don't overdo it).

I find the lower the dose of painkillers, the faster recovery happens (and the more likely you are to be up and about).

It really does vary from person to person- but in general- the sooner you become active again, getting your physio done and are up and about- the quicker your overall recovery will be.

If you sit in bed feeling sore, and don't make a conscious effort to get back on your feet again- it can take several times longer to recover than it might otherwise do.

Recovery is a combination of many factors- the frame of mind and the manner in which you approach it- perhaps being as important as the type of surgery itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just had my appendix out over 3 weeks ago. I am still in alot of pain and feel very weak. Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone recommend anything I could take or meals to have to build myself back up?

I am getting very impatient with it all at the moment!

Any advice is welcomed!

Write down your questions and bring them with you for your follow up appointment
    \If you dont you will be rushed and forget them

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate it.

OP I hope ur recovery is going well.

:)

Advertisement