Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geniunely Disgusted at Mazzagatti

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Was it Mazzagatti that broke up the Mir/Lesnar fight because Lesnar was striking to the back of Mir's head?

Yes. That's when a butt hurt Lesnar said afterwards he would never fight with Mazzagatti as ref again. I guess Lesnar wanted to think he was still in WWE where he can do whatever he wanted because it was in the script. Like a good groupie that he is Dana started his anti-Mazzagatti nonsense shortly after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yes. That's when a butt hurt Lesnar said afterwards he would never fight with Mazzagatti as ref again. I guess Lesnar wanted to think he was still in WWE where he can do whatever he wanted because it was in the script. Like a good groupie that he is Dana started his anti-Mazzagatti nonsense shortly after that.

Wait until Lesnar comes out with a spinny belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Killme00 wrote: »
    I thnk you would have lost that bet. Hammill said in his interview after the fight that he hurt his shoulder at one stage so i really dont think he would have survived with only one arm to defend himslef. Jones made the mistake of getting carried away, he was very very close to a stoppage.

Oh and LOL at the bit in bold. "Taking away his base", are you kidding me, the poor guy was trying with everything he had to keep his hands up to stop the GNP.

I also dont think its right to critcise the referee in this case. It was very close to a stoppage but Hammill was just about defending himself.

All in all it was an unbelievable sh1t card. Next week will make up for it though with The Fight before Christmas follwed by UFC 107 :D

Yes, a clearly concussed Mat Hammil, who thought that he's lost the fight, is your argument!
    I used my eyes.

Try and rewatch the fight my friend.

And do you realise what I meant by taking away his base?!!

jughead202 wrote: »
    going to watch it again but i thought jones looked at mazzagati couple times see if he was stopping it

He asked Mazzagati to stop it, and Steve told him that he wasn't going to stop it just cause he asked him to.

He wasn't landing clean strikes, until he got frustrated, and started the illegal strikes.

Fights don't (or shouldn't) get stopped due to punching a guy in the forearms over and over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

He asked Mazzagati to stop it, and Steve told him that he wasn't going to stop it just cause he asked him to.

He wasn't landing clean strikes, until he got frustrated, and started the illegal strikes.

Fights don't (or shouldn't) get stopped due to punching a guy in the forearms over and over again!

They weren't heavy impact shots either. They looked slow (understandably so, the chap was goin flat out G+P for about 60 seconds) and just looked to be pushin Hammil's head down rather than striking him. Was a bit of a weird technique tbh. There was just a lot of them, hence the damage.

That talkin to the ref shite is gettin far more prevalent. See McSweeney sayin to the ref "He's out" the second he got Schoonover in a guillotine in rd 1?- At the same time Schoonover's visibly pushing his head out of it. Gobshite. I absolutely HATE James McSweeney. He's a scumbag and a bully.

• Advertisement

Yup.

McSweeny is a complete chump.
    He was a joke on the show.

I liked nothing more than seeing him sticking his chin up only to get it knocked right back by Nelson.

His actions in the house were disgraceful, and the same in the Schoonover fight like you said.
    He knew that he wasn't out, but was trying to con the reff.

Yup.

McSweeny is a complete chump.
    He was a joke on the show.

I liked nothing more than seeing him sticking his chin up only to get it knocked right back by Nelson.

His actions in the house were disgraceful, and the same in the Schoonover fight like you said.
    He knew that he wasn't out, but was trying to con the reff.

Sure when he got in the fisties with Zak Jensen after lockin him in the bathroom in TUF; he was sayin "calm down, relax" etc, then throws a kick to the balls out of nowhere. Scum.

Getting sparked while showboating was fuckin delish though. I think I watched it back about a dozen times (although Im not a big fat ginger Elvis fan, as he's annoyingly delusional)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

And do you realise what I meant by taking away his base?!!

Please explain it to me.

i will rewatch the fight tonight with your explanation in mind :rolleyes:

rovert wrote: »
    Wait until Lesnar comes out with a spinny belt.

Yeah and it will probably have his cocksword tat on it too.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Please explain it to me.

i will rewatch the fight tonight with your explanation in mind :rolleyes:

When you were rewatching, I'm sure you noticed Hammil constantly scooting.
    Meaning that Jones had to constantly adjust his position.
    Which means that he wasn't able to get as much power or control behind his strikes.
    Which meant that Hammil was able to defend easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

i thought hamill was doing an alright job of deflecting the majority of the shots when jones was on top but some where clearly getting through.

But asking a deaf guy are you done in a Loud arena while he has blood in his eyes is fairly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

and you guys thought Yves Lavigne did a bad job! Hamill took many elbows and punches to the head well before the illegal elbows were dropped and he didn't attempt to improve his position at all during the whole mount. This one went on way too long. Lovely throw by Jones all the same and I'm sure most people will consider it a win for him anyway. I hope they don't have a rematch.

edit: I still don't consider scooting to be enough of a defense to not stop the fight, especially looking at some of the legal elbows he landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

calex71 wrote: »
    To be honest , as soon as I saw the the 1st of the 12 to 6 elbow's I said to myself "hey don't see those much"

I agree. I wasn't even sure myself. I knew Matt was in big trouble after the 1st 12-6 landed. They are savage & would probably be used in a street fight.

Matt looked messed up. The fact he's deaf & his eyes were full of blood made the stoppage a no brainer.

I think Mazzagatti was unsure about the 12-6 elbow. Maybe he didn't get a good angle. After all, we have many angles on TV & sometimes see things the ref doesn't (Thierry Henry anyone!)

This fight aside I think Mazzagatti is a poor ref at the best of times. He stopped the Velasquez v Rothwell fight too early & nobody can forget the 1st Mir v Lesnar fight where he stopped the fight to deduct a point from Lesnar for striking the back of Mirs head when he knocked him down. Then he started to maul Mir again but got caught caught in one of the longest heels hooks in history. Lesnar was tapping for a long time before Mazzagatti woke up & stopped the fight.

It could have been a career ending injury had it have gone a second longer!

Anyway, Brown should not have lost that fight. It should have been a no contest. He had it won anyway & the 12-6 elbow didn't win it for him. He simply changed angle as Hamil was trying to block his elbows.

Brown is a serious contender & the man to watch at 185. I think he'd be a great fight for Silva in 1-2 years. He's only 22 if I'm right. Scary! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

barochoc wrote: »
    I agree. I wasn't even sure myself. I knew Matt was in big trouble after the 1st 12-6 landed. They are savage & would probably be used in a street fight.

Matt looked messed up. The fact he's deaf & his eyes were full of blood made the stoppage a no brainer.

I think Mazzagatti was unsure about the 12-6 elbow. Maybe he didn't get a good angle. After all, we have many angles on TV & sometimes see things the ref doesn't (Thierry Henry anyone!)

This fight aside I think Mazzagatti is a poor ref at the best of times. He stopped the Velasquez v Rothwell fight too early & nobody can forget the 1st Mir v Lesnar fight where he stopped the fight to deduct a point from Lesnar for striking the back of Mirs head when he knocked him down. Then he started to maul Mir again but got caught caught in one of the longest heels hooks in history. Lesnar was tapping for a long time before Mazzagatti woke up & stopped the fight.

Anyway, Brown should not have lost that fight. It should have been a no contest. He had it won anyway & the 12-6 elbow didn't win it for him. He simply changed angle as Hamil was trying to block his elbows.

Brown is a serious contender & the man to watch at 185. I think he'd be a great fight for Silva in 1-2 years. He's only 22 if I'm right. Scary! :eek:

By Brown you mean Jones ?

Who the hell is Brown?

Naming people by their skin colour = Old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Is he by any chance mixing up matt broown with jones. Cuz the weight class is wrong too.

Is he by any chance mixing up matt broown with jones. Cuz the weight class is wrong too.

I think it's the fact that there's an "appretiation" thread for Yves Lavigne about that match has confussed him a tad. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

consultech wrote: »
    Who the hell is Brown?

Naming people by their skin colour = Old school.

thats the funniest thing ive read on these boards in a long time - a genuine 'lol' to you, sir

Lord Muck wrote: »
    By Brown you mean Jones ?

Yes I mean Jones. Sorry I was also commenting on a decision by Lavigne in the Sell v Brown match & it must have just slipped in there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Just saw the fight once and my initial impression was "Jesus H. Christ stop the effing fight! what the hell are you waiting for"
    I thought that Hamil had taken far too many unanswered shots (some heavy ones at that) and wasn't even trying to escape.

Btw i am not a big fan of GnP at the best of times and found that quite disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Everyone in here @ 4.00am

Ramble ramble ramble

Just saw the fight once and my initial impression was "Jesus H. Christ stop the effing fight! what the hell are you waiting for"
    I thought that Hamil had taken far too many unanswered shots (some heavy ones at that) and wasn't even trying to escape.

Btw i am not a big fan of GnP at the best of times and found that quite disturbing.

The problem is that the people crying that he let it go on too long would be crying that he stopped it too early. Complainers will always complain.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The problem is that the people crying that he let it go on too long would be crying that he stopped it too early. Complainers will always complain.

I'm not really sure what your point is ?
    Should we all agree with each other:confused: That would make this a very boring forum.
    An early stoppage, although frustrating, is alot better for fighter safety than a late one. With an early stoppage they can have a re-match in a short space of time.

Jones obviously knew that Hamil was hurt and requested that the ref stop the fight several times. Maybe the ref forgot that hamil couldnt hear his commands or questions etc:o

I'm not really sure what your point is ?
    Should we all agree with each other:confused: That would make this a very boring forum.
    An early stoppage, although frustrating, is alot better for fighter safety than a late one. With an early stoppage they can have a re-match in a short space of time.

Jones obviously knew that Hamil was hurt and requested that the ref stop the fight several times. Maybe the ref forgot that hamil couldnt hear his commands or questions etc:o

Jones was doing no damage.

None.

When was the last time that you saw somebody knocked out with a strike to the forearms?!!
    Maz told Jones to stop askiong him to call the fight, because he hadn't done enough.
    Matt was defending himself, moving, and responsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

None.

When was the last time that you saw somebody knocked out with a strike to the forearms?!!
    Maz told Jones to stop askiong him to call the fight, because he hadn't done enough.

None??

None.

Not sure if we were watchin' the same fight. Who was hitting Matt when we weren't looking to cause the damage to his face? Even if they were illegal 12-6 elbows.

Hamill was finished as his shoulder had popped during the take-down. He couldn't have continued any longer anyway. He has great heart but it was a bad decision to DQ Jones. He should have just got the warning as the elbows didn't end the fight.

A NC should have been called or a TKO should have been given to Jones as Hamill couldn't continue with his shoulder.

Another bogey UFC result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Not sure if we were watchin' the same fight. Who was hitting Matt when we weren't looking to cause the damage to his face? Even if they were illegal 12-6 elbows.

Hamill was finished as his shoulder had popped during the take-down. He couldn't have continued any longer anyway. He has great heart but it was a bad decision to DQ Jones. He should have just got the warning as the elbows didn't end the fight.

A NC should have been called or a TKO should have been given to Jones as Hamill couldn't continue with his shoulder.

Another bogey UFC result.

Did Matt cover up constantly?

Yes.

Did Matt move constantly?

Yes.

Did Jones just randomly punch and elbow Matt's arms?

Yes.

Did Jones gas?

Yes.

Is there anyway, whatsoever, that Maz would have known Matts shoulder had popped?

No.

Did Jones get frustrated?

Yes.

The only real damage done by Jones, once on the ground (the takedown had nothing to do with the ineffectual Gn'P) was with the illegal strikes.
    And Maz then stopped it instantly.

Maz has to keep the fight going as long as the fighter is defending himself.
    Mat was.
    Hands up, moving constantly, trying to improve his position.
    If Jones hadn't resorted to illegal strikes, then as far as Maz was concerned (he didn't know about the shoulder, as none of us did at the time), so it looked quite likely that Matt could ride out the rest of the round.
    Jones was gassed....who knows.

Interesting points. I'm going to watch the fight again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Did Matt cover up constantly?

Yes.

Did Matt move constantly?

Yes.

Did Jones just randomly punch and elbow Matt's arms?

Yes.

Did Jones gas?

Yes.

Is there anyway, whatsoever, that Maz would have known Matts shoulder had popped?

No.

Did Jones get frustrated?

Yes.

The only real damage done by Jones, once on the ground (the takedown had nothing to do with the ineffectual Gn'P) was with the illegal strikes.
    And Maz then stopped it instantly.

Maz has to keep the fight going as long as the fighter is defending himself.
    Mat was.
    Hands up, moving constantly, trying to improve his position.
    If Jones hadn't resorted to illegal strikes, then as far as Maz was concerned (he didn't know about the shoulder, as none of us did at the time), so it looked quite likely that Matt could ride out the rest of the round.
    Jones was gassed....who knows.

When Mazzagatti stopped the fight he had the intention of restarting it. The doctor told him that it was over so he looked at a replay of the finish to decide whether it had ended via the illegal strikes or not. That's the first time that the instant replay rule was used in Nevada

• Advertisement

Ok, watched it again. Hamil was 'bleeding badly' according to joe Rogan's commentary before the illegal blows were landed.
    Jones started the gnp at 2.15 of the round and for the 1st 15secs landed several heavy blows and plenty of lighter shots(some getting thru, some being blocked and some not that powerful).
    The gnp lasted about 30 secs and in my opinion there was no way back after the initial onslaught.It is supposed to be a sport after all.

Anyway not worth getting worked up over, I wont be shoving FACTS!!??! down anyones throats (just giving an opinion). So for that reason, as the dragons would say "I'm out"

Advertisement