Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents allowing their children take up seats on buses/trains etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Just my 2 cents as i dont think it was mentioned, but did anyone think maybe this woman with the chlid in the op's post had a problem with a 'strange' man sitting beside her and her child? she didnt know him at all and suddenly he's demanding to sit on the seat next to her, some people have a thing about strangers...but yet need to use public transport and thus would sit next to their child rather than putting the child on their lap..i've seen people do iit with bags too...

i know myself in todays society i would be wary of random people sitting right next to me on a bus or train or whatever! nevermind letting them sit next to my child...i know it probally sounds paranoid but its just the way i feel.

People might feel like that, and it might be a good idea to bear that in mind, so as not to intimidate them unnecessarily - but at the same time though, its public transport - its not reasonable to be on the bus or train and demand no one else sit close to you, or to deny them a seat on that basis.

Its got to be a balance, and keeping a bag on the seat because you are afraid of strangers is on the wrong side of that balance... if someone has a mental condition, that might be different - you'd certainly try and be compassionate - but simply 'I dont trust strangers' shouldnt allow someone to take a second seat... Gotta live together somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

jessbud wrote: »
    In one way I can see the op point of view. I used to travel from Kildare to Dublin every day on the train and there is nothing worse than having to stand for the whole journey, especially after a long day at work.

On the other hand I think its her attitude which is annoying. We all know you paid for your monthly ticket and we all know the rules laid down by IE off by heart now. Even if that mother had bought a ticket for her child I'd say you would still give out as the child should have given up their seat for you as you are the elder.

This sums it up to me. From the very first post this thread was going to be a train-wreck. If the first posts tone had been nicer, I imagine the responses would have been different. My thought on reading it originally was that the OP had probably waded in feet first demanding the child be moved. That feeling will colour peoples responses. Unfortunately it is very easy to get the wrong impression from a post like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Really interesting thread, amazing how touchy poeple are.

I was raised in London in the 60's/70's . We rarely used the Underground in rush hour . But if we did my Mother would say to me . ' If this train gets busy you give up yor seat '

Now of course they were different times.

I am trying to think what I would do with my little one now . I think if the train got very busy I would pull her onto my lap to be honest. ( she is only 3 )

However how would I feel is someone asked me , not sure , to be honest.

On a wider context , we have lost respect for our fellow beings , OP , if the train was was packed and you had a seat and a pregnant woman/Elderly person got on would you stand ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Really interesting thread, amazing how touchy poeple are.

I found it interesting too!

Amazing how everyone was quite annoyed that the OP wanted a child to be taken on to a mothers lap so that they could then sit down.

There was some quite startling replies.

Some people felt that the child was just as entitled to the seat.

Others felt that if the person looking for the seat was pregnant, elderly, disable they would then take the child on to their lap. - i.e. they wanted you to justify your "need" for the seat - they would then consider moving their child on to their lap.

Some replies were even stranger - talk of strange men looking to sit next to a mother and child - even thought the OP had acknowledged that they were female. C'mon it is public transport!!!!!

Generally I was discouraged by the majority of sentiments in the thread and the lack of willingness to make the whole travelling situation more comfortable for ALL travellers on the bus/train.

When I said that it was the way I was brought up in the '70's and it was the done thing as a child to stand and offer a seat to an adult. It was thrown back in my face that someone used to have to buy ciggarettes for their Dad in the '70's. This to me illustrates how some people must have read the thread - that they actually thought it was the worse thing in the world to actually have to *shock horror* take the child on their knee on a crowded train/bus. The indignity of it all!!!! Especially for the child!!!! Who should be valued just as much as an adult and should be allowed keep their seat. They just didn't seem to get it the child still had a seat - it is just now on their mother's lap.

TBH I was a little bit sickened by the whole lack of manners and respect for people other then themselves.

I am going to leave it at this and won't be contributing further to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think its the whole "respect your elders" tone that was dragged in, when OP wont reveal her age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Have you complained to the train operators about the lack of seats and the need for more carriages?

I complained numerous times and my father in law works for IE too and got him to look into it. Now I'm going back five years since I was using the train and things have improved on that line since then.
    I used to be annoyed with people putting their bags and coats on seats and leaving them there even though people would be standing beside them, I would ask them to move them so I could sit down but I would never ask a mother to move her child, they are entitled to a seat as much as anyone else in my opinion.
    As a mother of a 4yr old I know he could not sit comfortably on my lap for any length of time, he is very tall for his age and I know it would be a case of arms and legs everywhere and one very fed up child and mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I really dont get the big deal either.

I distinctly remember getting the bus home from Belfast after a long day Christmas shopping with my mum. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, old enough to be on my feet all day shopping without a buggy or anything anyway.

Anyway, last bus from Belfast on a Saturday before Christmas, it was packed, and we and everyone else had tons of bags of shopping too.

I spent about two hours sat on my mothers lap. Yes it was uncomfortable for me, and I imagine very uncomfortable for my mother.

It hasnt done me any lasting damage, and I dont recall my mum having to see a physio or a counsellor for the trauma.

Very uncomfortable, but is that not the sort of thing that people just do?

I don't even think my mum waited to be asked. And... she had probably even paid for the bus ticket for me!!

Anyway, back to the OP. Don't ask people to move their kids... some people will take their kids on their lap, some won't. C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Enii wrote: »
    TBH I was a little bit sickened by the whole lack of manners and respect for people other then themselves.

Dramatic much?

As metrovelvet said, the OPs attitude of respect your elders is what has irked most people. I would absolutely offer my seat to a pregnant person, an elderly person or a disabled person. Will I expect my kids to get up to give some able-bodied woman in her 30s/40s a seat? Absolutely not. First come first served and all that.

I personally don't care how long your day has been, just like nobody cares how long my day has been or that I have been literally standing for the entire day while the majority of those on my train line have been sat on their holes for the day in their offices. Nor should they. If they make ti to a seat before me, so be it.

All this talk of respect is ridiculous. Where is the OPs respect for the woman and her child? Why is the OP entitled to more respect than anyone else?

Having a train ticket entitles you to nothing but entry to the train. Being older (with the exception of pensioners) entitles you to even less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The way I see it, it depends fully on the ticket they have.

If the child is really young, they don't need a ticket afaik. Therefore, in my opinion, they shouldn't be taking up a seat. I know, it's tough for the parent to have them on their lap etc., but if they want the child to sit on the seat beside them, then they should pay for a ticket for the child.

In my opinion, children (the ones that have to buy tickets) don't need to give up their seats for adults. What is the point? Since when do the needs of children become subservient to those of an adult?

However, I believe that both children and adults should give up their seats for an elderly person. Despite the fact that they are not paying a fare, doesn't mean that their fare is not being payed for - it's just that they have a free travel pass. AFAIK, money is claimed back off the government for this. Standing for a whole train journey can be physically exhausting for the elderly.

However, one incident comes to mind. My friend and I were travelling from Bray to Sydney Parade on the DART, when an old woman got on the carraige at Dun Laoghire. My friend stood up and offered his seat to the old woman, but she refused, looking a bit affronted at being singled out like this. About 2 stops later, the DART declerated fairly quickly (which it usually does, probably more than other trains do) and she fell over :rolleyes:. She wasn't hurt but four people stood up and gave their seats to her after that, which she didn't refuse this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

the way i see it is the seats are on 1st come 1st served basis,i have a young child and regardless of weather or not he paid for a seat he is entitled to be on the bus,i would move him for the elderly ect but the way i see it is he has just as much right(if not more) to sit down,his little legs couldnt manage standing and he would never sit on my lap so i have to say i would keep him in the seat unless a genuine person needed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

jaysus this thread is fupped up. i'm p!ssed of at the op with the "respect your elders" tripe but i absolutely would put my daughter on my knee if there was someone standing on the bus/train. but this is a personal thing and i know its not the same for everyone, because

1) i would never be on a train/bus for a long journey
    2)my daughter wouldn't mind

HOWEVER!
    i would NEVER expect a child to sit on their parents lap for me

they are little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

People in this country have little or no respect , If a child was sitting in a seat i'd say nothing but if there was a bag there i'd say who owns his bag like which i have done before on a train, Same could be said for all those able people who use the lifts in Dundrum use the stairs or the escalators,the only people that should be able use the lift are people with trolly's or buggies along with old people and people with disabilities! OP how old are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I wouldn't expect a small child to have to give up their seat for me, but they should be up on parents lap on a crowded bus/train. I'll remember some uncomfortable bus journeys when I was a child. I'm not traumatised from them and I assume my parents aren't either.

I have given up my seat for kids before. Mainly because the parents are having an impossible time managing to hold them down, but I've still done it.
    Just my 2 cents as i dont think it was mentioned, but did anyone think maybe this woman with the chlid in the op's post had a problem with a 'strange' man sitting beside her and her child? she didnt know him at all and suddenly he's demanding to sit on the seat next to her, some people have a thing about strangers...but yet need to use public transport and thus would sit next to their child rather than putting the child on their lap..i've seen people do iit with bags too...

i know myself in todays society i would be wary of random people sitting right next to me on a bus or train or whatever! nevermind letting them sit next to my child...i know it probally sounds paranoid but its just the way i feel.

I have to reply to this. It's called public transport. You don't want someone beside you? Buy a car. It's one of those things that annoy the hell out of me. Oh no, a strange man/woman is sitting beside you! Get over it or just don't use public transport. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If the child can comfortably sit on mum or dad's knee and the place is packed I think its good manners to do that...I know I would anyway

But I've had situations where I've been on a bus or train with my daughter whose nearly 13 and she's been asked to stand up to let someone sit down. Now she's a good kid and she would stand up for someone who needed it say a pregnant woman or an elderly person but if its an able bodied person I'd tell her to keep sitting.

She's paid her fare the same as the rest of the people there so she's entitled to have her seat the same as anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

wow.

i travel by train and then bus every day with my two year old. its extremely difficult, not only on the train/bus but also getting there, buying a ticket etc. but thats a whole other story! :rolleyes:

i used to bring her everywhere in the buggy when she wasnt walking yet but on busses i was constantly made to fold up the buggy, which is difficult when carrying a young child, my bag for college, her bag for creche and then trying to fold up the buggy and lift it up onto the storage space- people dont jump to help, which i dont expect them to but it'd be nice!!

when she was of walking age i gave her a seat of her own on the bus. id sit with my bag on my bag and her wearing hers. i do this not only for my own and her benefit but also so people dont sit beside us cause it makes things awkward!

if i was to sit her on my lap there wouldnt be room for the bags so they'd have to come off and be put under the seat.

which is grand until i need to get off- ive to hand my child over you and the seat you stole from my child (low blow! :P), then throw her bag over to her while she struggles to keep her balance.

then ive to put my bag on my back, probably accidently elbowing you while doing so, then squeeze past your legs with a bag on my back which will prob knock off you as i do it.

meanwhile my daughter is barely standing because at 2 years old she doesnt have any balance. then ive to put her bag on her bag for her while we both sway! then eventually we get off the bus!

theres alot you've to factor in when travelling with kids that people just dont realise and not all mothers are just being rude when they give a seat to their kids, sometimes they just know its easier for everyone.

(oh and by the way i know i could sit on the outside seat but lets be honest if someone has asked you to move your child i doubt they'd be too happy with you making them wait while you move everything around!)
    sorry for the long essay on travelling with kids! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I like how you direct your instructions to me, thankfully I do not use public transport so would not come across people like you asking me to move my children, what I was saying was if I did and to be honest I would quite enjoy the fact that the bus driver would need to ask me to put my child on my lap, it would then point out to the rest of the travellers that the man sitting next to me was happy to put myself and my child in an uncomfortable position quite selfishly.

Fire with fire and that.

Ive read the whole thread and this post is the one that sticks out to me the most.

Im lost for words. Why on earth should someone politely asking you to take your child on your lap, in accordance with the conditions of carraige be embarrassed to do so?

And how could you not be embarrassed for causing such a scene, when all you had to do was take your child on your lap - to sit down - so another passenger could also sit down?

It beggars belief!

If I were another passenger on a train where this happened its YOU Id be giving the funny looks to and thinking was selfish!!

I think the OP has a perfectly valid point, conditions of carraige state a child should be in the lap if the seat is needed by a fare paying passenger. If you want your child to have a seat then buy your child a ticket - simple as.
    I personally would be mortified if I was preventing someone else from sitting down on public transport because I had a child who COULD sit on my lap.

Now in saying all of the above, Ive never asked anyone to move a child, I am a seat giver upper, in fact I offer my seat to other ordinary people my own age just in case they need it more than me (maybe theyve got a sore leg - I dont know).

But - I do believe the OP was entitled to make the request she did and should not be berated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

amdublin wrote: »
    No bollocking. I politely asked. She didn't like it. I explained the rule. She moved the child.

then what's your problem.. you got the seat what's the big deal??? i mean if the woman said no way and didn't give it to you then you have something to bitch about but to be honest i think you're being really childish. i've travelled on buses and trains and would have no problem putting one of the kids on my knee but maybe the way you went about asking and pointing out rules and regulations got her back up it would really p1ss me off to have someone spout them at me... i mean when you say she didn't like it did she get angry and give out to you or just your perception of how she was feeling or can you read minds??? get over yourself please i mean what if the woman had said no?? would you have had a stand up row?? child or not it's the way you approach someone that can determine they're reaction to you.. you were obviously very impressive?! if it's all you have to worry about aren't you lucky:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Totally right!!! you nailed it in onE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Personally I would be more annoyed with adults taking up seats and not letting parents with young children sit down!

Example: I was on the bus into the city centre recently with my nearly 2 year old and there were no free seats. No one offered me a seat or tried to let me sit down so for 30 minutes I stood holding my child!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ive read the whole thread and this post is the one that sticks out to me the most.
    You are missing the context, I of course would lift my child onto my lap, the whole point I have been making here is that if I had a valid reason in not doing so, i.e. pregnancy, illness whatever and someone deicded to cite a rule book to me I would not be best pleased, maybe you wouldnt find it embarrassing to do this but I sure as hell would and I'm sure a lot of people here would agree that they would tale a dislike to someone asking a mother to lift a child onto her lap when she had something physically preventing her to do so.

You also miss the point where the op says the child should stand or sit on a lap and also respect for elders etc etc etc, there is so much more in context to the whole debate going on here than just one paragraph. I note you say you have read the thread in its entirity so maybe you choose to ignore these other points or have not noticed them but there is no way I would be putting my very very tall 7 yr old on my lap or asking her to stand so she could learn respect for her elders and let this op or any other woman sit down, in fact I would be more inclined to give my seat up to my child if I felt an adult was forcing her out of one.

• Advertisement

You are missing the context, I of course would lift my child onto my lap, the whole point I have been making here is that if I had a valid reason in not doing so, i.e. pregnancy, illness whatever and someone deicded to cite a rule book to me I would not be best pleased, maybe you wouldnt find it embarrassing to do this but I sure as hell would and I'm sure a lot of people here would agree that they would tale a dislike to someone asking a mother to lift a child onto her lap when she had something physically preventing her to do so.

You also miss the point where the op says the child should stand or sit on a lap and also respect for elders etc etc etc, there is so much more in context to the whole debate going on here than just one paragraph. I note you say you have read the thread in its entirity so maybe you choose to ignore these other points or have not noticed them but there is no way I would be putting my very very tall 7 yr old on my lap or asking her to stand so she could learn respect for her elders and let this op or any other woman sit down, in fact I would be more inclined to give my seat up to my child if I felt an adult was forcing her out of one.

The OP wasnt talking about a situation where something was physically preventing a mother from lifting a child onto her lap. Nor were you in your 'fire with fire' posts.

Nowhere does the OP say she wants a child to stand, only to be seated on its mothers lap when there are adults without a seat standing.

Nor is the OP referring to children of 7 years of age, but children under 5.

Perhaps you are missing the context in which the OP makes her original statements?

I agree that in an unusual situation where there is some physical issue then a mother shouldnt be expected to do this, but in the ordinary case, where a child is just taking up a seat when they could be on the mothers lap I think the OP is right to ask the mother to move the child.

I didnt understand your attitude with causing embarrassment, fire with fire, etc... It seems to me that in the context the OP is making a reasonable request and for someone to state they would 'enjoy' making the OP ask the driver for the child to be moved is just bad mannered and downright weird. Why would anyone 'enjoy' causing a scene on public transpost for the sake of allowing another adult to have a seat? That in itself would seem to me to be a bad attitude to be taking in front of a child, surely it would be better to agree to a reasonable request and not try to make the person be embarrassed or treat it as a situation where 'fire' must be fought with 'fire'?

The OP wasnt talking about a situation where something was physically preventing a mother from lifting a child onto her lap. Nor were you in your 'fire with fire' posts.

Nowhere does the OP say she wants a child to stand, only to be seated on its mothers lap when there are adults without a seat standing.

Nor is the OP referring to children of 7 years of age, but children under 5.
    Even aside from the fact that the child is actually not entitled to the seat I was always brought up to "give my seat up for an adult". What sort of example are these parents setting for their child?
    When my children are older and I have paid for tickets for them I will still expect them to stand and offer their seat to any adults standing.

Just on the first couple of pages, I thought you said you read it all.

Just on the first couple of pages, I thought you said you read it all.

Whats your point? In the first OP post you quote she doesnt mention standing and in the second she is talking about children of her own, not those of other people. Nowhere does she mention asking someone to make their own child stand.

Whats your point? In the first OP post you quote she doesnt mention standing and in the second she is talking about children of her own, not those of other people. Nowhere does she mention asking someone to make their own child stand.

My point is that by saying she would expect her own children to stand for an adult suggests to me and others here she would expect any child to stand for an adult. Now to me this discussion is dead in the water, quotes should be taken in context within in a debate otherwise it resorts to multiquoting pages of debate which to be honest, I dont have time for nor do I care to do but whatever floats your boat.

At the end of the day my view has not changed, I would of course put my child on my lap for another person to sit down but if I was in a situation where I could not and someone started reeling off rules to me, yes I would be highly insulted and advise I would move my child when told to do so by authority not by any joe soap who thinks they need the seat more..

Unfortunately people do seem to get hung up on guide books and rules and forget about common courtesy and mutual humanatarian respect. I do think its a bit high and mighty to assume ones need is greater than those around them. I stood on a bus myself once at 8 months pregnant for almost 45 minutes before I got a seat, in the heat of summer, close to fainting but never would I have assumed my need for the seat was greater than any of those people who were seated, although I dont think I have used a bus since that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Alib2009

hi
    Have to say i see where OP is coming from i.e the past! Yes my mum made us stand and offer a seat when we were old enough and it was safe for us to hold the handles etc. However as a mum of one very bouncy toddler who weighs over two stone and insists on his own chair i see the other side. If i am on my own i will always offer my seat but with my little boy sorry, it is a simple health and safety issue. If there is a seat belt it is leathal to have him under the an adult belt if i am going long distance i will have him in his car seat so it is impossible to put it anywhere but on a seat.And if god forbid there is a break i want him to be the safest possible that means his own seat.

On the other side last week i travelled on the Dublin to Sligo Train at 7pm, it was delayed for 30 mins before departure with a gang of loud drunk bouncy teenagers falling over my toddler. Then as i had a buggy everyone jumped in front - yes you know who ye are in your city suits!"!!! so i stood for two hours with my screaming child in his buggy in a dirty nappy because the changing facility was been occupied by a gang of young guys, boasting about the 8 bulmers they had drank - if one more person threw filthy looks at me i was going to commit murder not one and i mean in a carriage of over 50 people got up an offered me a seat yes i am able boddied with a screaming child that if i had a seat could change him placify him and rock him to sleep. I have to say i will never, ever travel by train again.

Meanwhile in Dublin i use dublin bus all the time, every driver on the 27, 42, 43 and 128 are absolute angles, they will always wait until the buggy is properly secured. they all say hi to the little fella and it makes his day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

Particularly the weakest and most vulnerable of our fellow travellers.....who have not paid for their seat and could be sat on the lap of their parent thus giving the seat to a person who has paid for it.

forget about the fact that the ticket isnt a paid ticket!!! they dont have to pay anyway because they r under the age limit!! they can still ride on the train as a normal person.

im reading this thread in disbelief really, i cant believe youd be so up yourself to make this such a massive issue, i dont think anyone enjoys being on local transport when its full and theres no seats, but put yourself in the place of the mums and dads as well and get off your high horse, sorry everyone doesnt hold the same values as you, most people would look after theyre babies first, and i dont see anything wrong with that. ive taken my 2.5 yr old little boy on the luas now and then, but not often because i hate it... but if he was sat on a seat and enjoying the thrill of being on the train and a man came up to me and told me to move him so he cud sit down id laugh,and ask him to show me his wooden leg. dare u risk the tantrums of moving a screaming toddler who doesnt want to b moved and make the journey hell for everyone else!!!
    id move my little boy to my lap for a pregnant lady or elderly person or someone with no hands to hold on tight.(shopping bags etc)

civic duty my ar$e !! its hard enough being a parent and doing your best these days without this kind of old fashioned codswallop. from the moment they are born, people in the street will think they can tell u what to do, and how they wud do it, and oh he has a red cheek is he teething? hes no shoes on, his feet will turn black and drop off, ooo you dont dress him in 10 layers check hes not cold will you? breastfeeding? when r u going to stop? it endless!!!!!!!!! u dont need to deal with that kinda crap when ure trying to get a breather for 5 or 10 mins on the train. be a man, (oh sorry! you are) be a woman then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

forget about the fact that the ticket isnt a paid ticket!!! they dont have to pay anyway because they r under the age limit!! they can still ride on the train as a normal person.

im reading this thread in disbelief really, i cant believe youd be so up yourself to make this such a massive issue, i dont think anyone enjoys being on local transport when its full and theres no seats, but put yourself in the place of the mums and dads as well and get off your high horse, sorry everyone doesnt hold the same values as you, most people would look after theyre babies first, and i dont see anything wrong with that. ive taken my 2.5 yr old little boy on the luas now and then, but not often because i hate it... but if he was sat on a seat and enjoying the thrill of being on the train and a man came up to me and told me to move him so he cud sit down id laugh,and ask him to show me his wooden leg. dare u risk the tantrums of moving a screaming toddler who doesnt want to b moved and make the journey hell for everyone else!!!
    id move my little boy to my lap for a pregnant lady or elderly person or someone with no hands to hold on tight.(shopping bags etc)

civic duty my ar$e !! its hard enough being a parent and doing your best these days without this kind of old fashioned codswallop. from the moment they are born, people in the street will think they can tell u what to do, and how they wud do it, and oh he has a red cheek is he teething? hes no shoes on, his feet will turn black and drop off, ooo you dont dress him in 10 layers check hes not cold will you? breastfeeding? when r u going to stop? it endless!!!!!!!!! u dont need to deal with that kinda crap when ure trying to get a breather for 5 or 10 mins on the train. be a man, (oh sorry! you are) be a woman then!!

*sigh*

I don't know how to multiquote your post so I've highlighted items and replied to them in order below.

1. No they can't travel as a "normal person" (your words). Condition of carriage is that they are free as long as they are not taking up a seat of a fee paying customer. ie.they can sit on a seat if available but once the train/bus gets full up they need to be moved.

2. Who says I am a man? Does my sex matter in this scenario? You and your child are not entitled to two seats when you have only paid for one.

3. This is probably why you should explain to your child that s/he can sit on the seat but if the train/bus gets full s/he will need to give the seat to an adult. Good opportunity to teach good manners and civic duty etc etc (see all my previous points in thread)

4. Maybe they are just trying to help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I dont know if this has already been mentioned thread was to long but in France it is the law for an adult to give up a seat to a child on public transport for safety reasons
    I witnessed this first hand adults standing up for the child and it makes sense tbh having a child standing on a moving bus/train is a major risk they could get injured badly if the bus was to jerk suddenly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some shocking responses in this thread.

Seems that some people think children don't deserve a seat of their own just because of their age, or because they are not required to have a ticket.

When I read the first few replies, I couldn't help but think of how black people where denied seats on public transport purely because of their colour. And yet, it seems ok with some people here to deny children a seat purely because of their age. It's discrimination plain and simple. Shameful.

I for one treat everyone the same regardless of their race, sex, religion or age. A child has no more or less right to a seat on public transport than any other member of the public. Those under a certain age are entitled to a free journey.

Oh, and if there is frequently a lack of seats, then I suggest you go complain to the relevant people and get more frequent services.

EDIT: Oh, and FYI in regards to Dublin Bus...

"No person shall molest or interfere with the comfort or convenience of any passenger or person in or about the vehicle." from http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/
    That applies to all passengers regardless if they bought a ticket or not.

However, for Irish Rail....
    "Children under the age of five years are entitled to travel for free on intercity services when accompanied by a fare paying adult provided children do not occupy seats required for fare others passengers."
    from http://www.irishrail.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=53#53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A child has no more or less right to a seat on public transport than any other member of the public. Those under a certain age are entitled to a free journey.

This is not correct.

They are entitled to a free journey as long as they do not occupy seats required for fare paying passengers.

As per train's "condition of carriage" 14.1
    https://www.irishrail.ie/seat_reserv...nsOfTravel.pdf

14.1 Except as may be specified in the publications and notices of and applicable
    to Iarnród Éireann, children under five years of age may travel free of charge
    when accompanied by an adult passenger holding a valid ticket for the journey
    provided such children do not occupy seats that are required for fare paying
    passengers.

Advertisement