Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents allowing their children take up seats on buses/trains etc

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

OP, I think you are being pedantic when it comes to the regulations of Iarnrod Eireann. Some rules are there as a guidline only, and can be interpreted at the readers discretion. Are you saying that you never break any sort of rules if it would add to your conveniance? You've never been in a long line of traffic and happily skipped into the bus lane and bipassed it all? ... Let he who is without sin throw the first stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

No offence amdublin, but have you ever seen the effects of forcing a young child to remain still for a long journey, the exorcism has nothing on them!!!!!

They cannot remain still, they are under 5 for the love of God!!!

And for the sake of the sanity of the entire 50 something person carriage I would rather stand than listen to a children wriggle and scream for a 3 hour journey.

And the only time you are guaranteed a seat is to book online so that way you dont have to worry about the disabled, the elderly or the young wont be in your seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

amdublin wrote: »
    Why should I, after a long day at work and having bought my monthly train ticket have to stand beside a mother and her 1.5 year old child taking up two seats after having paid for only one.

Oh btw I asked had she bought him a ticket. She said no. That is the only reason she moved him, she said she wouldn't have otherwise. (Some example for her child in the future that!)

all I'll say is that your lucky she was niceish about it. Because as nice a person as I am if you had of asked me the same thing you would have been told in no uncertain terms where to stick your monthly ticket.

By the time you got off to find an inspector who might actually be bothered to enforce these bye laws the train would be gone anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So laws don't apply to mothers then? The same people that are an expert on everything as per any ad (they're really just milking your ego to buy their product)

If you want a seat for your child, BUY A CHILD TICKET

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't know why the mother didn't just tell the OP she had a ticket for the child and to please mind her own business and **** off tbh.

It's not as if you're under any obligation to show other customers your ticket(s).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Should we not be considering all travellers? If the bus is really busy and you could give up a seat to a fellow traveller by taking your young 'un on to your lap would you not do it?

I would take my child on to my lap so as to allow another traveller (male, female, young, old, whatever) be comfortable on the bus.

The reason I would do this is that I travel on a very busy route and I have been the woman who has fainted because of the heat and over filled bus. Not nice. If I could prevent this happening to anyone by purely taking my child on my lap I would do it. For me there is no issue, we have to think of others and not just ourselves. Otherwise what hope do we have for society?

C'mon peeps, take your child on to your lap (if possible) and offer up a seat to a fellow traveller. It is not child abuse to ask this of a child - but by the reaction of some, you would think it was! Think of others and not just yourself.......

Advertisement