Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway City Christmas Booze Bargains

• 06-12-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I know there was a local bargains thread but wanted to keep this one just for bargain booze for boards members to stock up for christmas without the need to head up north( or is that impossible to avoid)

wine
    beer
    spirits

the lot

my first advice is super valu- jacobs creeks rose 6.99- thats as good a price as you'll get south off the border

anybody see any good prices or deals on absolute vodka let me know-thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭quotaj

I think this does deserve a seperate thread, mods please don't merge!

Other current SuperValu Offers;

24x500ml cans Budweiser = €27.50
    (Last week they had Guinness, I'm guessing that offer has gone)

700ml Baileys = €18.60 €15
    700ml Smirnoff Vodka = €22.49 €18
    700ml Jameson = €27 €19 :)
    700ml Henessy = €30.99 €25

Well done Supervalu!

There's a load of Half-Price wines in Dunnes: http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=391

Oh and Tesco are putting up a strong counter-fight...

mainbanner_09_wk40_3-wed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

20 for the vodka is prob as cheap as its going to get

dunnes were doing it for 17 a few weeks ago but missed the offer

hopefully we'll see a real price war over the next few weeks

booze in the number one reason people shop north and then buy all the other extras- so its up to supermakets to nearly go cost price on the booze and try and get us in to do all our food shopping there

shaggykev wrote: »
    20 for the vodka is prob as cheap as its going to get
    quotaj wrote: »
    Other current SuperValu Offers;
    700ml Smirnoff Vodka = €22.49 €18

Also Tesco, 700ml Smirnoff for €17.

Or were you talking about a 1L bottle?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

quotaj wrote: »
    Also Tesco, 700ml Smirnoff for €17.

Or were you talking about a 1L bottle?

;)

Think they were talking about the Absolut.

I really wish I'd bought some of that when it was €17.50 in Dunnes, I got it for €22.50 instead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

tesco had smirnoff vodka for 15 euro and jameson for 20 and hennessy brandy for 25 bout a month ago so i stocked up then havent seen them this cheap since,also joyces 365 had 24 cans of bud for 20 euro a week ago but think they sold out pretty fast,hoping prices might drop a bit more before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

There is an off licence in westside called fine wines. they have a deal 5 bottles of wine-white,red and rose for 23euro. Cant remember the name of the wine but its a spanish brand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cant26 wrote: »
    There is an off licence in westside called fine wines. they have a deal 5 bottles of wine-white,red and rose for 23euro. Cant remember the name of the wine but its a spanish brand..

Yeah that offer is still on. The Rose is actually quite nice, but as I mentioned in another thread, for the life of me, I couldn't get drunk off the stuff.

Nice to have on the dinner table though I guess

Looking for deals on Heineken cans if anyone knows of any going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking for Heiniken myself, plenty of mentions in the main Bargain Alerts Board but the offers never seem to appear in Galway for some reason, not fair, people are paying a Euro or less for bottles and cans of Hein in other parts of the country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Someone mentioned yesterday that Dunnes (knocknacarra) were/are selling 24 500ml cans for €27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

€17 for vodka will keep me happy for the xmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

londis salthill

Draught Guinness 50cl can 6 for 10.99
    Heineken 50cl can 6 for 10.00
    Budweiser 50cl can 6 for 10.00
    Carlsberg 50cl Can 6 for 9.00
    Cork Dry Gin 70cl 19.99
    Smirnoff Vodka 70cl 18.99
    Paddy / Jameson whiskey 70cl 24.99
    Hennesy Brandy 70cl 29.99
    Martell Brandy 70cl 24.99
    Smirnoff 1lt 27.99
    Jameson 1lt 36.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Joyces in Knocknacarra have 24 x 500ml Carlsberg for €24 and 24 x 33ml bottles of Stella for €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Acidflash wrote: »
    Joyces in Knocknacarra have 24 x 500ml Carlsberg for €24 and 24 x 33ml bottles of Stella for €15

They also have great deals on wine. Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc €7.99 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

Buckfast now 8.79 in Tesco. Not sure if it's permanent...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

got a text message from whats for dinner yesterday, they do the off licence delivery service, was a choice of smirnoff, jameson, bacardi or cork dry gin and a 2 litre mixer delivered for 25, had crates of bud delivered for 35. not quiet is cheap as supermarkets but its pretty decent. better then the likes of small off licences like harvest, fine wines and slainte, and its to your door :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

They also have great deals on wine. Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc €7.99 at the moment

Great bargain - that's a really nice wine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

does anyone know where i can get Ameretto di sarronno, and cherry brandy? i can get Bols ameretto in joyces but its not the same as di sarronno, have had to order it previous years which is expensive. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

does anyone know where i can get Ameretto di sarronno, and cherry brandy? i can get Bols ameretto in joyces but its not the same as di sarronno, have had to order it previous years which is expensive. :(

possibly o'learys,they could get them for you if not there already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

pretty sure Mc Cabridges on shop street have it, and or the bigger harvests - in Woodquay and Spanish Arach

secondly.......Amaretto, YUM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

O Briens might be able to sort you out on amaretto/cherry brandy?

I'd imagine pricewise they'd be more competitive than McCambridges aswell!

O Briens defo cant help, i ordered it in from fine wines last year but its €10 on top for the order, lohans have cherry brandy but at a price
    im gonna try the cash and carry in doughiska if not off to Mccambridges thanks for that guys!!!
    need my amerretto di sarrono wouldnt be christmas without it, and cherry brandy to make the cranberry sauce lol.. :):)

i bought the ameretto and the cherry brandy in the value centre in doughiska, €20 each which isnt too bad, was the Bols ameretto though still cant find the di sarronno, but not too bothered as they taste the same theres only a marginal difference in alchol content:)
    happy days i shall be getting well and truly piiishhhed after i have cooked the family feast lol... thanks guys x:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Joyces seem to have some good deals in the paper this week.

Jagermeister is only [FONT=&quot]€9.99 if thats your tipple. Sounds cheaper than up north even! Is it nice?
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Anyone spot good prices for champagne? I've one present that has to be champagne this year for a friend. Not the cr*p stuff but not the million dollar stuff either. Decent stuff like Moet or Veuve or what's usually around the 40ish mark?

Tawny wrote: »
    Joyces seem to have some good deals in the paper this week.

Jagermeister is only [FONT=&quot]€9.99 if thats your tipple. Sounds cheaper than up north even! Is it nice?
    [/FONT]

That's almost certainly a typo. Notice on all the prices in the ad, the price format is like €xx.xx, however with the Jager it's €€x.xx - I'm guessing that where one of the €'s is, it's supposed to be a 1, making it €19.99 instead of €9.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's almost certainly a typo. Notice on all the prices in the ad, the price format is like €xx.xx, however with the Jager it's €€x.xx - I'm guessing that where one of the €'s is, it's supposed to be a 1, making it €19.99 instead of €9.99

You never know with that shop. Actually, they probably don't either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Looking for deals on Heineken cans if anyone knows of any going?
    According to the Advertiser today, Supervalu have slabs of 500ml Heineken for €26.50. I'll be checking out Clarke's Supervalu in Barna and possibly the one on Fr Griffin Road tomorrow for it to see if it's legit.

Please Santa/Kwanzabot make it so. I need Sweet Lady H.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sweet Jehovah, it's true.

Budweiser and Heineken slabs, 500ml cans, proper strength: €26.50 in Clarkes Supervalu, Barna.

Have a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukah, a Krazy Kwanzaa, a Tip Top Tet, and a solemn, dignified Ramadan.

Robbo wrote: »
    Sweet Jehovah, it's true.

Budweiser and Heineken slabs, 500ml cans, proper strength: €26.50 in Clarkes Supervalu, Barna.

Have a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukah, a Krazy Kwanzaa, a Tip Top Tet, and a solemn, dignified Ramadan.

That's very expensive for 12 litres of p1ss :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Try it before you knock it but ....
    IN Aldi you will find a six pack of OeTTINGER German Lager, 4.7%, 500mL Cans

It has a very refreshing taste, crisp, like Bud but with a better taste, not too strong, kinda towards Hein but not quite there.

It was selling for 6.99, but at the moment you can get the six pack for 5.99, a bargain.

I love the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Any suggestion for a decent Brandy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

mikebites wrote: »
    Any suggestion for a decent Brandy?

Yep. Lidls premium one. Its called majestat or somethin like that. Not as good as Hennessy but much nicer than Martel. And its only 15 quid. They also have a regular brandy for 11.99. That ones just ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Yep. Lidls premium one. Its called majestat or somethin like that. Not as good as Hennessy but much nicer than Martel. And its only 15 quid. They also have a regular brandy for 11.99. That ones just ok.

For 15 quid, its worth trying
    Specially if its for Hot ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought from "Napoleon" from Dunnes for just less than fifteen bucks. Decent stuff. They also had something for 12.

Advertisement