Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 - Windows XP Mode: Worth the Extra Cost?

• 06-12-2009 3:16pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be buying Windows 7 for a new PC and I'm looking at the various different editions and their differences URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#cite_note-rdteamblog2-37"]here[/URL.

I'm not looking to install a mini-network and can't conceive that I'll need over 16GB of RAM any time soon, so the big difference in the higher-priced versions appears to be Windows XP Mode.

Is Windows XP mode worth the extra cost? Are there many compatibility problems (I'm on XP SP3 currently). FWIW, I imagine I'll be installing games that could be up to 4 years old (as an example). I doubt I'll have hardware/driver issues as I'll be building a new system.
    I'd be interested to know if Windows 7 users have had to use XP Mode much or have they been getting along fine (or indeed if there's any other compelling reason to get Professional/Ultimate editions).

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

While XP Mode is a useful addition, I have to be honest I rarely use it. Unless you have some very old software (and even still most will work zero probs on 7) you will probably find it to be more a gimmick than having any use. Also as its running in a emulated enviornment, XP mode isnt for gaming as it uses generic drivers, basicly it is a stripped down version of XP, which can ,load apps without need for booting up virtual machine manually, it mounts your Windows 7 drives and shares the network connection, thats it really.. Also your 4 year old games should run zero probs in Windows 7, although I would reccomend downloading patches if available for them..

Nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I use it quite a lot.

I find it useful for testing and installing junkware that I only need for a short time, and would not be bothered installing on my main OS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Doesn't sound too useful as I tend not to install much junkware. Didn't know about the generic drivers there either - that's an important one!

Is there any good reason for an average home user then to get Windows Ultimate or Professional?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not really a home-user-oriented thing - it's aimed at business that have legacy apps that use, say, web-based interfaces that require IE6. (Like Orange UK for example).

I think you'd be better off keeping your existing XP licence and buying a full Win7 licence, then dual-booting the two. Aside from anything else it means that if you're unfortunate enough to get caught up in the ongoing Vista/Win7 display driver nightmare scenarios you can still at least boot into a working XP installation. (If you're buying a new PC from Dell or whoever this shouldn't be an issue, but it is something to be aware of if you're planning on upgrading your graphics card any time soon...)

Edited to add:

I went for Win7 Pro because I work in Windows support, so it's useful to have access to most if not all of the components that might be considered relevant only to business/professional users. Whether you need Win7 Pro or Home Premium is a question you'll need to answer, though you can always buy the upgrade key from MS further down the line if you decide it's necessary after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I actually tried to install a game on Win 7 last night, no joy. It was CSI: Hard Evidence. Don't even think it's that old.

Does XP mode not come with Win 7?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Vyse wrote: »
    I actually tried to install a game on Win 7 last night, no joy. It was CSI: Hard Evidence. Don't even think it's that old.

Does XP mode not come with Win 7?

It's a feature available with Win 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise editions, but you have to have suitable hardware - a processor that supports hyperthreading & a minimum amount of RAM (I think 4GB but it differs between 32- & 64-bit editions). Once you meet the criteria you can download it from Microsoft's site for free. (I think it checks for the version of Win7 you have installed so there's no point in trying to use it if you've got Win7 Home Premium, for example).

That being said, if you can't run XP Mode you could try to just set up an XP Virtual Machine if you have a suitable licence available. Though by that point you may as well just dual boot them rather than take the performance hit involved in the virtualisation process.

Advertisement