Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Shane Lowry to have his younger brother Alan on the bag for the next 4 weeks on the PGA Tour. A decision on a more permanent caddie will be made once he returns from America with his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

I think he has never fully got over finishing second in the 2016 US Open.Hope he can turn his poor form around.

I think there could well be a lot of truth in that, it really seemed to hit him hard. Hopefully its not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Not the first guy to struggle with a move to the states.
    Probably should return fully to the European tour next year and move back home.

He is too good to be away for a long time. Needs pro caddie though, so sticking the younger brother on the bag is a kind of write off rest of year in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do we know who left who between Lowry and Byrne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

I think they just decided to take a break from each other for a while no falling out and might resume back. A change of scenery is as good as a rest as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Dbu wrote: »

He is too good to be away for a long time. Needs pro caddie though, so sticking the younger brother on the bag is a kind of write off rest of year in my opinion.

His brother is supposed to be quite the golfer, and might give him the bump he needs..especially on putting.

His brother is supposed to be quite the golfer, and might give him the bump he needs..especially on putting.

Yes his brother is a scratch golfer, not a professional caddie though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Needs pro caddie though, so sticking the younger brother on the bag is a kind of write off rest of year in my opinion.

I think he is right to be honest, far worse to make a hasty decision that he would later regret, no need for a panic appointment and as has been pointed out he does look a little disillusioned with the game at the minute so a more relaxed approach with his brother on the bag might remove the shackles somewhat.

The 100/1 might be just worth a little nibble for snetimental sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

You prob said Harrington needs a pro caddy when he took on Ronan, and won 3 majors in the next 18mths.
    Caddy prowess is very overrated, most important thing is normality and basically good company.
    remember Shane and Dermot Byrne have lived in each others pockets for 9 years

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

During a big competition like the bad tradesman who always blames his tools he decided to sack the man carrying the bag. Can anyone imagine one of our top hurling free takers sacking the kit man when he can't put the ball over the bar.
    Maybe jogging around the golf course a few times might be a help to his midriff.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do we know who left who between Lowry and Byrne?

Yeah, and tbf thats not something for a public forum, the discussion is probably best served around him going forward with a new caddy.

Id say its a good move.

Fieldsman wrote: »
    During a big competition like the bad tradesman who always blames his tools he decided to sack the man carrying the bag. Can anyone imagine one of our top hurling free takers sacking the kit man when he can't put the ball over the bar.
    Maybe jogging around the golf course a few times might be a help to his midriff.

So he 100% sacked the caddy?

Yeah, and tbf thats not something for a public forum, the discussion is probably best served around him going forward with a new caddy.

Id say its a good move.

tbh I assumed Byrne left as he needs to look after his own interests first, I doubt he has been earning what he expected for the last while.

Probably the best thing for both of them, though it will be interesting to see who he gets and who is available.

Come back Bones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Are you seriously comparing the professional golfer-caddy relationship to that of a GAA player and the kit man for their team?

• Advertisement

There has been a lot of rubbish posted in the Golf forum over the last few days but fair play lad you have surpassed them all :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'll give you the benefit of doubt as you are new here, but please refrain from posting about Shane Lowry's weight, its been done to death here and not needed. Thanks.

Alan Lowry is a fantastic golfer and I actually think he'll be good for Shane on the bag. If he's not enjoying the game at the moment having the familiar face on the bag might help, also from what I've read he's also a huge family man so brother / caddy / familiar face when in the US, hopefully will play a huge part in him keeping his card. He certainly has the game to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Alan Lowry is a fantastic golfer and I actually think he'll be good for Shane on the bag. If he's not enjoying the game at the moment having the familiar face on the bag might help, also from what I've read he's also a huge family man so brother / caddy / familiar face when in the US, hopefully will play a huge part in him keeping his card. He certainly has the game to do it.
    I hope you're right. Shane has been having a miserable time of it and we all want to see him in a better place.

charlieIRL wrote: »

+1 means he is a talented amateur, but +1 wouldnt get you very far on any tour.

I think the only thing that will make Shane enjoy it more is playing better golf. Won't matter who is on the bag if he continues to miss cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

+1 means he is a talented amateur, but +1 wouldnt get you very far on any tour.

I think the only thing that will make Shane enjoy it more is playing better golf. Won't matter who is on the bag if he continues to miss cuts.

Luckily he's not trying to play on tour.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Luckily he's not trying to play on tour.

No, he is trying to support a guy who is desperately trying to stay on tour.

He has no experience of being a professional caddy or playing at that level to leverage to support him.

I'm not knocking him in the slightest, I just think its probably relevant to the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

He has no experience of being a professional caddy or playing at that level to leverage to support him.

I'm not knocking him in the slightest, I just think its probably relevant to the discussion.

Well if you are putting this forward as point to prove he doesn't have the credentials to be a caddy on tour could you please give a few examples of caddies who have played at that level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Jordan Speith's was a math's teacher...

Felexicon wrote: »
    Well if you are putting this forward as point to prove he doesn't have the credentials to be a caddy on tour could you please give a few examples of caddies who have played at that level.

"He has no experience of being a professional caddy or playing at that level to leverage to support him"

Is what I said, so please dont cut half of the context out of my point.

He has no real tour experience as a caddy or a player. - Thats just a plain old fact.

Another fact is that Shane is struggling, badly, at the moment. He could realistically lose his card.

In my opinion, at a time like that you need someone who knows what they are doing out there. Someone who has experience of getting the best out of a player who is naturally down in the dumps due to a prolonged slump. Someone who knows the US courses well, knows the greens, knows where to miss and frankly knows how to prep a player and a bag for a professional tournament. Its more than carrying a bag for a few days, its not the Jimmy Bruen.

Again, I'm not knocking his brother, I'm not saying that he can't become the worlds greatest caddy, I'm saying right now he isn't a caddy and I think Shane needs one.

As for examples, there is some young Molinari fella that I hear people saying good things about lately.:cool:

Keano wrote: »
    Jordan Speith's was a math's teacher...

He started caddying for him at the 2011 U.S. Junior Amateur and is 16 years older than him.

“Everything I have done in my life prepared me for this, specifically teaching for 10 years,” he told the Seattle Times last year. “Being able to think on your feet, being adaptable and having thick skin … you are going to mess up — and if you are not confident in yourself, your player picks up on that. You have to be willing to serve and encourage. Just like in teaching.”

Alan Lowry is 25.

Again, I'm not saying he wont become a great caddy, I'm just saying that right now he isn't one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He started caddying for him at the 2011 U.S. Junior Amateur and is 16 years older than him.

“Everything I have done in my life prepared me for this, specifically teaching for 10 years,” he told the Seattle Times last year. “Being able to think on your feet, being adaptable and having thick skin … you are going to mess up — and if you are not confident in yourself, your player picks up on that. You have to be willing to serve and encourage. Just like in teaching.”

Alan Lowry is 25.

Again, I'm not saying he wont become a great caddy, I'm just saying that right now he isn't one.

So let's maybe give him a go at it before shooting him down. :)

Alan Lowry is 25.

You would definitely want a thick skin caddying for Spieth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You would definitely want a thick skin caddying for Spieth.[/QUO

Why? he's a gentleman.. Im serious by the way have met him.

benny79 wrote: »
    You would definitely want a thick skin caddying for Spieth.[/QUO

Why? he's a gentleman.. Im serious by the way have met him.

I'm sure he is and does come across well off the course, but by god he is a moany fckuer on course between giving out to the caddy and the ball, it never seems to be his fault - I get that it is what makes him the great player he is but as his caddy you would definitely want to be able to bite your lip and as said above be thick skinned.

• Advertisement

So let's maybe give him a go at it before shooting him down. :)

It takes years to become a good caddy, maybe you think Shane as years to sort his game out, I dont think he does and I dont think his last caddy did either.

benny79 wrote: »

I'm sure he is and does come across well off the course, but by god he is a moany fckuer on course between giving out to the caddy and the ball, it never seems to be his fault - I get that it is what makes him the great player he is but as his caddy you would definitely want to be able to bite your lip and as said above be thick skinned.

Someone recently said, the only people nicer than Jordan Speith on tour are his parents:)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

It takes years to become a good caddy, maybe you think Shane as years to sort his game out, I dont think he does and I dont think his last caddy did either.

"It takes years to become a good caddie" Really

You’re writing a 31 year old off. The recent Open winner is 35 and he had a rough few years. Not saying Shane can reach that height but very naive to write off someone who’s still young.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭redhill

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Jaysus some nonsense in these threads recently.

Change can't do him any harm, mcllroy didn't fall off a cliff when he got rid of his "professional caddy"

One of the most accurate posts of the last couple of days on this thread. He has taken his brother on board for just 4 weeks, not as a full time caddy. His brother obviously knows him well, has played at a high amateur level ( which can’t be a disadvantage) and is in for a change of scenery for a short period only. That’s it basically, can’t see how this warrants talk about world class caddy attributes. It is indeed similar to Rory’s situation , he did similar with Harry Diamond, also a top amateur with no professional caddying experience. Without getting into a discussion about his caddying creditentals he has done at least as good as Rors previous caddy who was regarded in the upper echelons of tour caddys. Before Rory he caddied for Ernie Els, Clarke, McGinley etc and also was yet another top amateur

redhill wrote: »
    One of the most accurate posts of the last couple of days on this thread. He has taken his brother on board for just 4 weeks, not as a full time caddy. His brother obviously knows him well, has played at a high amateur level ( which can’t be a disadvantage) and is in for a change of scenery for a short period only. That’s it basically, can’t see how this warrants talk about world class caddy attributes. It is indeed similar to Rory’s situation , he did similar with Harry Diamond, also a top amateur with no professional caddying experience. Without getting into a discussion about his caddying creditentals he has done at least as good as Rors previous caddy who was regarded in the upper echelons of tour caddys. Before Rory he caddied for Ernie Els, Clarke, McGinley etc and also was yet another top amateur

I think you'll find the major difference between the two situations is the current rankings of both players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I do find it a little odd the caddie change tbh. Shane usually talks in glowing terms of Dermot in any interview he has done. But i mean i have no experience of any of this rather than observing from the outside so couldn't really say what is best. It would seem a bit crass for anyone on here to criticism that decision at this point without any evidence of what the new partnership or any future partnerships will be like.

Ill reserve judgement until some factual facts have been gathered rather than some dubious predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

kiers47 wrote: »
    I do find it a little odd the caddie change tbh. Shane usually talks in glowing terms of Dermot in any interview he has done. But i mean i have no experience of any of this rather than observing from the outside so couldn't really say what is best. It would seem a bit crass for anyone on here to criticism that decision at this point without any evidence of what the new partnership or any future partnerships will be like.

Ill reserve judgement until some factual facts have been gathered rather than some dubious predictions.

Sometimes people just need a change.

Indeed change can be good.

• Advertisement

Did anyone criticise the decision for them to split? I certainly didn't.
    I simply think that at the stage he is at right now regarding his card and future on the PGA tour, he needs a strong, experienced professional caddy on his bag, not his little brother who is probably going to be in awe of everything he is around for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You mean the echo chamber and thanks-whoring attitude that's being allowed to stifle any debate?

Or perhaps the plethora of posts that attack the poster rather than the content of the post?

Item #1 on the Agenda for Moyvalley I reckon.

To be honest GreeBo - the boards Golf Society and people who typically post are different groups of forum users. Maybe you have been gone too long :)

Item number 1 for Moyvalley would be Captains Day or Ryder Jug.

No - I love a bit of debate and different opinions, great to have you back , a bit of life in forum. Your Rory is not the definition of "World Class" was entertaining. He almost won the major in question :D , with bad wedge play and strong long game.

The issue I would have is you often multi quote and get focused on very small parts of posts to back up your view. You avoid direct questions that challenge your argument - I would define that as fairly stifling in debate. A bit of an internal echo chamber.

On the point of a caddy - would agree not a fan of family and friend caddies.
    But over the years I've softened on that. It is not like they are putting a mate who hasn't swung a club in their lives - they are top top amateurs. Technology and information has totally changed the caddy game too, any of us could walk out on a course and give a fairly accurate distance with the modern pro course booklet. Gps / Laser in practice rounds and walks.

Knowing your pros numbers is not brain surgery
    Lasers have helped here too
    Intimate knowledge of their game is as easy when you are a brother or best mate. Some of these would in fact know your game over a longer period than picking up a new pro caddy.

But the idea that a caddy thinking he is winning events - the likes of Steve Williams - has placed the caddy in an over vaulted position. Yes there are top top caddies - but equally their are pros that don't want or need much input.

There are a few freak exceptions - but tour pros with caddies are not just created - golf is a game of hours and hours of work alone , playing along, practicing alone, golfers know their game backwards. Yes when they get to the top top - they can forget all this info , but it is very easy for them to jump back into club selection. You often hear them go over the figures and change the club themselves.

In the 80s/90s it wasn't unusual for caddies to be picked up at the event or be looking for one the week of a top pro event.

If a pro knows his game
    You have the distance
    You have his distance
    You have walked the course
    You have played the course with the pro on multiple days / rounds.
    Are a + level golfer.

You are a long long way there - I'd fancy it myself - but would use an electric trolley :D

It is very easy for a very good golfer. the hardest thing is the physical part.

Lads, will ye have a read back over some of your posts there, i have and i'm telling you i'm having a hard time not to ban a lot of posters from here with what's been said.

I try to give the benefit of doubt as generally this place needs very little moderation thankfully but I can tell you from this moment on, any further abuse / rubbish / needless arguing is going to end up with cards - red not yellow. Final warning.

You’re writing a 31 year old off. The recent Open winner is 35 and he had a rough few years. Not saying Shane can reach that height but very naive to write off someone who’s still young.

I'm still waiting for you to show me where I am writing anyone off?

By the looks of things here, no tour pro should employ any caddy unless the new caddy has been a former major winner, world no1 or similar. Anything less than that and they will be deemed unsuitable and under-qualified. The manure talk is strong here these days.

Ive had loads of people caddy for me over the years in Championships and on Teams, and tbh once the person does the simple things, and to be fair ive often stepped back and taken advice from a caddy that might never dream of paying at any level, Why? Because 2 opinions are better than 1 regardless.
    The bottom line is, only one person can pull the club, make a final decision and hit the ball.

You said

maybe you think Shane has years to sort his game out, I dont think he does.

Me and the rest of the world read that as you think a 31 year olds career is ending soon but alas you’ll tell me different.

• Advertisement

You said

maybe you think Shane has years to sort his game out, I dont think he does.

Me and the rest of the world read that as you think a 31 year olds career is ending soon but alas you’ll tell me different.

I believe his PGA & European Tour exemption for winning the Bridgestone runs out after 2018 season ends?

So he will lose his card unless he starts playing better.
    He only has until the end of the season to do that, i.e. not years.

Therefore, he doesn't have years to sort out his game because unless he sorts it out PDQ, he isnt going to have a tour to play on next year.
    For me anyway, the above scenario would lead me to believe that he doesnt have the time left this year to both sort his game out and hope his little brother can learn how to be a professional tour caddy. He needs a top quality, experienced guy on the bag who can help him play better rather than him helping his caddy.

That's totally different than me saying his career is ending, I don't even know how you came to that conclusion tbh. :confused:

As I thought. Ok.

A good idea playing this week anyway before the Bridgestone. He obviously knows the pressure is on so hopefully he can get into a good place before the end of the year. The limited field also next week will surely help and would be great to see him bounce back strong.

Has he played this event before? I wouldnt think so but thats a guess.

As I thought. Ok.

:confused:

Is that an apology?

Has he played this event before? I wouldnt think so but thats a guess.

Missed the cut last year, thats the only time he played it AFAIK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement