Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm so proud to say I'm from the same county as that guy! Some man for one man. So when is the thread title being changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Brilliant.

Sterne may will feel that was one that got away though.

If you are Sterne - you are joint leader on -3 for the day - with your co leader only par for the day - you had to be fancying your chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Think there is already only one goal in his golf head now and that is already the Ryder cup in 2020 to be captained by his buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He does seem to get a tough time from some golf fans here.

It is a strange thing.

We don't have that many players at the very top at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

Super win. Great mental strength in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

F*cking delighted for him.

Get's a very hard time from Irish golf "fans" when things aren't going his way. Everyone is an expert with regards to his weight, family commitments etc.

fullstop wrote: »
    You have to get it off the tee first. You said it’s a joke of a course, but you seem to have an issue with the tournament anyway.

Have you played the course ?

Yes I would have an issue with the tournament the country and the human rights record there.

European Tour shouldn't be there.

But anyway - not sure how you could see it as a great course.
    I haven't played it - perhaps you know more.

Felexicon wrote: »

Get's a very hard time from Irish golf "fans" when things aren't going his way. Everyone is an expert with regards to his weight, family commitments etc.

yes and then they all jump on the band wagon - when we get an Irish win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Have you played the course ?

Yes I would have an issue with the tournament the country and the human rights record there.

European Tour shouldn't be there.

But anyway - not sure how you could see it as a great course.
    I haven't played it - perhaps you know more.

I have, and it’s a fine course. Not one of my favourites, but still a very good course. I didn’t say it was great, and yes, I do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Wonderful return to form. He fell of a cliff after his meltdown at the 2016 US Open. Hit him hard.

• Advertisement

I have, and it’s a fine course. Not one of my favourites, but still a very good course. I didn’t say it was great, and yes, I do ;)

you couldn't pay me to play it :D

yes and then they all jump back on the band wagon they had jumped off when he was 3 behind after 9 holes - when we get an Irish win.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

The way he won today showed so much character! He must have been shellshocked after 11 holes to find himself 4 shots behind. He really had to dig deep to claw his way back. In many ways, this is a lot more satisfying than if he had run away with the tournament.

Perhaps you are looking at the course , in tax free glasses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Shots of the year candidates already even though we are in week 3 of the year. The third shot at 17th and 2nd shot at the last. Quality, quality stuff from Lowry. This win gets him in to all 4 WGC's, all 4 majors and the Players Championship. To say this is a huge win for the Offaly man would be an understatement. Brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

you couldn't pay me to play it :D

Yeah, Corballis is far superior :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Great character in the run in, under serious pressure and really held his nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delighted for him. Huge year now for the tournaments, may need to change some plans, but it's a nice headache to have.

Be a great night in Clara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

fullstop wrote:
    Yeah, Corballis is far superior

It's in the Irish top 100 courses this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Delighted for him. Did very well to hold it together after losing the lead; never let Sterne pull away and Sterne felt the pressure too.

I thought he'd need a 69 to be sure but that's as good a 71 as you'll see.

He looked knackered at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Sterne's body language over his second on 18 was never right. After that putt on 17 by Lowry his mind must have been frazzled. Either way Lowry finished as a champion should. Delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I stopped watching after the 11th and went for a swim, didn't give him a hope. Shows what I know. Congratulations to Shane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played this morning, legged it home to turn on the TV and see him on the 18th green turned around from his putt and smiling...almost great timing.
    Caddie happy days too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

What an absolute ledgebag, delighted for him and never doubted him;).

Sterney will have to work on his "hard question" asking ability, eh First up!!!

Sterney will have to work on his "hard question" asking ability, eh First up!!!

Sterne asked a lot of questions on the front 9 and Lowry took a while to find the answers. But he did and when he asked a few questions of his own, Sterne struggled too.

Great win and his caddy is getting a lot of praise for how he calmed him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Well done Shane.Great win and badly needed after some bad days on the golf course over the past two years.Come on the Faithful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

First Up wrote: »
    Sterne asked a lot of questions

Did he really? like what, was Sterne miked up?

Oh dear #2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sickened to have not been able to go today

He must have played the wind superbly. I work 10 minutes from the course and the wind was bringing up a lot of sand!

This thing you're doing just isn't working pal.

• Advertisement

wow - sets him up for the year especially with being back in the big events and the top 50 - perfect start. changes everything.

needed Sterne to lose his flow to win but Shane stuck at it on a day when his driving was dire and knocked in some clutch puts - well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Felexicon wrote: »

You can be a fan and still call it out when he is playing rubbish, which he did a lot last year.

Backing then and talking them up web they are playing purely just ecause they are Irish is belittling and erodes any value in praising then when they do well.

Blind jingoism is pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

HighLine wrote: »
    And that's all she wrote. Shame. Great 3 days golf though so hopefully it's the start of a good season.

Yep hands up.. I stupidly called it too early. Went out to play golf so missed his last four holes but from what I saw from 1 to 14 and how he hit it off the tee, I didn't give him a chance to come back.

Delighted to be wrong however. His iron play and putting this week has been so good so hopefully it's the start of a great year ahead.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You can be a fan and still call it out when he is playing rubbish, which he did a lot last year.

Backing then and talking them up web they are playing purely just ecause they are Irish is belittling and erodes any value in praising then when they do well.

Blind jingoism is pointless.

Equally kicking him when he is down erodes the value in opportunistic praising.

Supporting a team or a player is about talking them up - is about getting behind them, even when they are playing rubbish.

Being a fan isn't a fully rational process. It isn't possible to apply rational thinking to an irrational process.

From the day I seen him win the Irish Open , I fully believed he would win a major (The Open Championship) - he has impressed me even more playing and winning at different styles of golf.

I've learnt a lot from watching Shane's full career - the pro game is simply a different standard than top amateur. It is bloody hard at the top top.

Top 50 is just incredible stuff. Yet when Shane got there he was still criticised about his weight, his lifestyle , he is "useless", not "good enough".

Backing and talking them up is part of the fan/supporter process.

Look at Liverpool there, 29 years - and the fans have been loyal all that time.

So I don't agree with you. Blind jingoism and faith have a part in sport. Without hope - sure why would an underdog bother.

Look at Leicester. It makes the win even more sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Equally kicking him when he is down erodes the value in opportunistic praising.

Supporting a team or a player is about talking them up - is about getting behind them, even when they are playing rubbish.

Being a fan isn't a fully rational process. It isn't possible to apply rational thinking to an irrational process.

From the day I seen him win the Irish Open , I fully believed he would win a major (The Open Championship) - he has impressed me even more playing and winning at different styles of golf.

I've learnt a lot from watching Shane's full career - the pro game is simply a different standard than top amateur. It is bloody hard at the top top.

Top 50 is just incredible stuff. Yet when Shane got there he was still criticised about his weight, his lifestyle , he is "useless", not "good enough".

Backing and talking them up is part of the fan/supporter process.

Look at Liverpool there, 29 years - and the fans have been loyal all that time.

So I don't agree with you. Blind jingoism and faith have a part in sport. Without hope - sure why would an underdog bother.

Look at Leicester. It makes the win even more sweet.

Thing to remember for prospective is that there is around 2000 guys with curgent ranking points in the world rankings.

To consistently be in the world top 100 is impressive.

Cant do that without having talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I looked back on the first page of the thread for the craic...that pro shop comment is great. Wonder how that lads time on tour is going?

Any thread title change going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

Great to have an Irishman to cheer on in 2019.
    Opens so many doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Good on him, didn't see much of it, only a few holes yesterday. Sterne was chipping in from all angles, should have been 3 or 4 worse than his score. Great win and well deserved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thread title updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Shane went from unranked in the race to dubai to being number 1 in the race to dubai :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Super win to kick off an epic year for Irish golf. Who knows this might even get a mention on RTE sports bulletins, They shamefully neglect to highlight significant happenings not just in Irish golf but in racing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done Shane.

€1m.....nice start to the year!

Good interview here with Greg Allen

https://twitter.com/RTEgolf/status/1086681102503346176

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

boardise wrote: »
    Super win to kick off an epic year for Irish golf. Who knows this might even get a mention on RTE sports bulletins, They shamefully neglect to highlight significant happenings not just in Irish golf but in racing too.

Ah come on, Greg Allen was all over his progress from 11 this morning, never mind the last three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Shots of the year candidates already even though we are in week 3 of the year. The third shot at 17th and 2nd shot at the last. Quality, quality stuff from Lowry. This win gets him in to all 4 WGC's, all 4 majors and the Players Championship. To say this is a huge win for the Offaly man would be an understatement. Brilliant stuff!
    I haven't been able to find evidence of this in any online article. One of the commentators yesterday (I think McGinley) seemed to suggest he'd have to continue playing well to stay in the top 50 to make sure he'll be in the majors. Shane seemed to be talking about Augusta as if it was a sealed deal. But I'm not sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard it on the news reports after Day 3, they said he got entry into all 4 if he could hang on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Delighted for him. Thought it was getting away from him at the turn and we would not even get a battle going down the back 9. Great days golf in the end.

How will the win impact Shane's position in the OWGR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Watched bits of the final round yesterday. Thought he had let it slip but fair play to him for battling hard. There was immense pressure on every hole. His put on the 17th and 2nd on the 18th were brilliant.

Hopefully he can push on and have a great 2019!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can’t post link on phone but it’s all in Irish Times report. Win is likely to push Shane up to estimated 41 in OWGR. Gains him automatic entry to all WGCs, Mexico championship, Dell Matchplay. Needs to stay inside top 50 for Players and Masters cut off points in March and April. Further down line it’s top 60 for us open.

Great times but needs to sort out his driving. Plenty to work on still!

• Advertisement

Can’t post link on phone but it’s all in Irish Times report. Win is likely to push Shane up to estimated 41 in OWGR. Gains him automatic entry to all WGCs, Mexico championship, Dell Matchplay. Needs to stay inside top 50 for Players and Masters cut off points in March and April. Further down line it’s top 60 for us open.

Great times but needs to sort out his driving. Plenty to work on still!

Yeah that's right for the Masters anyway.

"The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament"

https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2019.html

Advertisement