Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Well done Shane. Great few weeks. Just imagining in my head a little bit of awkwardness in the Lowry/Dunne shared house arrangement they often have when there this much of a disparity between results :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Well done Shane. Great few weeks. Just imagining in my head a little bit of awkwardness in the Lowry/Dunne shared house arrangement they often have when there this much of a disparity between results :D

Lowry was the first to congratulate Dunne on his win in the British Masters last year when Lowry was in the middle of his slump. It's part and parcel of life on tour for thsoe lads. If there's another post-victory party for Lowry like the one on Saturday I doubt Dunne will mind too much :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Didn't catch any of it but solid looking round, nice way to play after a win, hard to keep it up weeks in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All catching up with him today. Hopefully he can battle back to par and a good round tomorrow could still get him a top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All catching up with him today. Hopefully he can battle back to par and a good round tomorrow could still get him a top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes 3 over for today’s round and back to -5. His driving is not too good and you won’t get away with it consistently.

A birdie and eagle good way to get round back on track. Back to even for the round at -8, 6 behind the leaders.

And a birdie on the last to finish -9. Great recovery from the Offaly man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That’s a load of nonsense. The fitter you are physically the better you are mentally and a lot of golf is decided upstairs. All the greats were extremely fit and lean. Of course you can still win the odd tournament even a Major but the chances increase if in excellent physical shape.

Btw I love Shane Lowry. He is a typical Irish lad who has a special golf talent. Comes from great Gaa tradition and never forgets his roots. Also has great pride in representing where he is from.

To anyone watching Shane he is in a fantastic place mentally - and to win that event it needed unreal ability "upstairs".

Golf is a very unusual sport and it isn't one size fits all , or straight from a text book amateur sports psychology. .

From your user name - you are probably into Rugby, you should probably be aware that one size does not fit all.

If Shane was to do a Rory style program - he probably would end up in the pro shop selling Mars bars as was predicted here.

• Advertisement

To anyone watching Shane he is in a fantastic place mentally - and to win that event it needed unreal ability "upstairs".

Golf is a very unusual sport and it isn't one size fits all , or straight from a text book amateur sports psychology. .

From your user name - you are probably into Rugby, you should probably be aware that one size does not fit all.

If Shane was to do a Rory style program - he probably would end up in the pro shop selling Mars bars as was predicted here.

Lowry has a natural sporting talent. There is obviously genes in there too what with his father and coping with playing sport at a high level.

Anyway rugby players at the top level they are are not overweight but all muscle just different heights and shapes. All the top golfers that I can think of were lean machines. Of course anyone can win a tournament here and there but to be consistently good you have to be in great shape. What you say goes against every known sports training manual but sure fire ahead.

To be mentally good at any sport which is what you are referring to, the better physical condition you are in the better you will do. Its the same in life healthy body healthy mind.

Lowry has a natural sporting talent. There is obviously genes in there too what with his father and coping with playing sport at a high level.

Anyway rugby players at the top level they are are not overweight but all muscle just different heights and shapes. All the top golfers that I can think of were lean machines. Of course anyone can win a tournament here and there but to be consistently good you have to be in great shape. What you say goes against every known sports training manual but sure fire ahead.

To be mentally good at any sport which is what you are referring to, the better physical condition you are in the better you will do. Its the same in life healthy body healthy mind.

But they are just sound bites.

Shane's putting has improved incredibly.

To do that it takes more hours than you can imagine standing on a putting green.

It isn't a physical thing, it is just will, determination, desire.

There is no correlation to other sports there. More in line with games like snooker or darts.

Is that even sport.

Your comparison of golf to other sports is just too simple.

80% of golf improvement is just mind dumbing, daft repetition.

People tend to try make golf out to be something it isn't.

Tiger Woods tried to change his body and shape and from fairly close sources, it wrecked his body and cost him a few majors at his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Shane works on his fitness, it was even commented on last week. His fitness is at a level to which he can perform like he did last week in such a mentally challenging situation. His woes on the course the last couple of years are not down to any possible lack of fitness.

It is well documented players who went fitness mad and there swings went to pot.

Being a ‘lean machine’ does not mean you are physically fit, far from it.

Also to say overweight rugby players are all muscle is just simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Amazing back 9, might get a top 10 out of the week yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Mushy wrote: »
    Amazing back 9, might get a top 10 out of the week yet

-6 for the back 9 is a hell of an impressive way to finish a round.
    -32 for 8 days of golf isn't bad lol

Bryson is in some form and could win by 5 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

woodyg wrote: »
    -6 for the back 9 is a hell of an impressive way to finish a round.
    -32 for 8 days of golf isn't bad lol

Bryson is in some form and could win by 5 today

Especially impressive for a lad who should just about be collapsing in a heap at this stage if you believe all you read on this thread ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Looks like Shane will creep into the top 10. Should solidify his world ranking position.
    Bryson is the man to watch for the majors this season . Had 5 wins I think last season but still kind of went under the radar . Worth a few quid for Augusta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

rooney30 wrote: »
    Looks like Shane will creep into the top 10.

Needs a lot to happen to get into the top 10. 7 players finished who are ahead of him, 6 on course who can still finish ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

"Would the defence like to present it's case as to why Shanes win last week WASNT a miracle win".

Certainly my Lord - may I present to you that after a double bogey which is known to fequently derail a round of Golf - Shane went on to do the rest of the round in 8 under par.

The defence would also like to draw your attention to the fact that he also won last week with a similar fight back in the final round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

He's in Top ten at moment (10) If Ells birdies one of last 2 the Lowry is out of top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Old diesel wrote: »
    "Would the defence like to present it's case as to why Shanes win last week WASNT a miracle win".

Certainly my Lord - may I present to you that after a double bogey which is known to fequently derail a round of Golf - Shane went on to do the rest of the round in 8 under par.

The defence would also like to draw your attention to the fact that he also won last week with a similar fight back in the final round.

So childish....

I said in numerous posts it needed to become consistent...Which for this weekend anyway, is a good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

callaway92 wrote: »
    So childish....

I said in numerous posts it needed to become consistent...Which for this weekend anyway, is a good start

I actually meant it in good humour :(.

And I had actually completely forgotten who was making the point about "Miracle win" last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

callaway92 wrote: »
    So childish....

So touchy........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

With these lads winning in the middle east do they pay the 0% income tax on winnings or is it where they are tax resident?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So touchy........

Ya, good man - I am for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭YoTaro

Has Lowry got his PGA tour card back?

YoTaro wrote: »
    Has Lowry got his PGA tour card back?

No. These are European Tour events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭YoTaro

Exactly wrote: »
    No. These are European Tour events.

Right. He's heading off to play a few tournaments in the states next anyway

YoTaro wrote: »
    Right. He's heading off to play a few tournaments in the states next anyway

Correct. He qualifies for these based on his world ranking but he doesn't have full playing rights on the PGA Tour. I know he could probably look for sponsors exemptions etc but he has said he is not actively chasing getting his card back in the states.

With these lads winning in the middle east do they pay the 0% income tax on winnings or is it where they are tax resident?

Where they are resident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Especially impressive for a lad who should just about be collapsing in a heap at this stage if you believe all you read on this thread ;-)

Ugh, really? This nonsense again?

Why not just rename all the threads about Irish(ish) golfers as "The positive comments only <player> thread" and be done with it?

Its *supposed* to be a discussion forum, not a love-in.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ugh, really? This nonsense again?

Why not just rename all the threads about Irish(ish) golfers as "The positive comments only <player> thread" and be done with it?

Its *supposed* to be a discussion forum, not a love-in.

It doesn’t have to be a love in and some discussion can be interesting but when it is slagging off/abuse towards him it doesn’t make sense to most.

It borders on the ridiculous when people think they know what is best for someone else, especially someone making plenty of money, winning big tournaments and surrounded by a professional set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Remains 41st on WR after this week. Adam Scott and Matt Wallace went above him but he overtook Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Kevin Kisner

Don’t see him listed in the field in Saudi this week, was assumed to be his next stop.

Don’t see him listed in the field in Saudi this week, was assumed to be his next stop.

No, think it was on an original schedule but he is playing in Pebble Beach next week so 4 in a row with a Saudi - West coast journey would have been mad.

Remind me wrote: »
    No, think it was on an original schedule but he is playing in Pebble Beach next week so 4 in a row with a Saudi - West coast journey would have been mad.

Cheers, had missed that. It’s a no brainer of course, he likes pebble beach so a good event to get into for him.

Cheers, had missed that. It’s a no brainer of course, he likes pebble beach so a good event to get into for him.

Plus US Open is there this year

He's back in Dublin since last night.

It doesn’t have to be a love in and some discussion can be interesting but when it is slagging off/abuse towards him it doesn’t make sense to most.

Where is the slagging/abuse?:confused:

People have commented that he might do better if he was carrying less weight.
    It borders on the ridiculous when people think they know what is best for someone else, especially someone making plenty of money, winning big tournaments and surrounded by a professional set up.

This is the guy who lost his card and his caddy last year right?:eek:

Shane & Tommy Fleetwood the first big names confirmed for the Irish Open.

• Advertisement

Lost his caddy? Felt it was time for change and has clearly worked.

It doesn’t take much searching on this forum to see the abuse he has received.

I would agree with Greebo that if people are on forum to slag or take piss out of Shane based on his weight or lifestyle there is no place for that anymore.

If I see that stuff here, I will be reporting it.

So a time for real moderation

Lost his caddy? Felt it was time for change and has clearly worked.

It doesn’t take much searching on this forum to see the abuse he has received.

Which one of them felt it was time for a change...

Highlight and report the abuse then as its against the charter.
    Saying something that you dont happen to like or agree with is not abuse though.

Can I ask moderators to place some rules on forum for Shane.

There is a crazy rule on Rory's nationality.

Considering Shane is now our number 1 Irish pro.

There should be a bit of respect on the forum.

Tone of posts towards Shane is unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Can I ask moderators to place some rules on forum for Shane.

There is a crazy rule on Rory's nationality.

Considering Shane is now our number 1 Irish pro.

There should be a bit of respect on the forum.

Tone of posts towards Shane is unacceptable.

I second that, Totally agree

1) There is no "Rory" rule, there is a general rule on discussing players nationalities.
    2) There is already a rule on abusing players/public figures.

The issue here is that there *is no abuse*, there is a difference of opinion on what may or may not impact a player.
    Trying to shut down someone elses viewpoint is pathetic censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Specific rules for one player on a forum because people can't handle other posters opinions FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Respect. Hes one of our own. Hes living the dream folks.

Coolaboy wrote: »

The following must be worn before posting on this forum.

41ekGOG77JL._SX425_.jpg

Coolaboy wrote: »

The following must be worn before posting on this forum.

41ekGOG77JL._SX425_.jpg

Yes and the way it should be.

If you want to start a slag off Shane Lowry thread, do it.

The bandwagon lads should have their own thread.

The rugby World Cup coming up, they can jump on to that. Probably on it already about how amazing Ireland are as they fall apart when they meet a decent team.

Again, no real insight into Shane's game here, the thread is derailed with his image, weight and lifestyle.

Then the roll eyes, smart comments and quotes.

So again time for moderators to act.

Yes and the way it should be.

If you want to start a slag off Shane Lowry thread, do it.

The bandwagon lads should have their own thread.

The rugby World Cup coming up, they can jump on to that. Probably on it already about how amazing Ireland are as they fall apart when they meet a decent team.

Again, no real insight into Shane's game here, the thread is derailed with his image, weight and lifestyle.

Then the roll eyes, smart comments and quotes.

So again time for moderators to act.

Just lol.

Because they are Irish you cant be honest about them?
    What about foreign posters, are you ok with letting them make comments?

• Advertisement
Advertisement