Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yes and the way it should be.

If you want to start a slag off Shane Lowry thread, do it.

The bandwagon lads should have their own thread.

The rugby World Cup coming up, they can jump on to that. Probably on it already about how amazing Ireland are as they fall apart when they meet a decent team.

Again, no real insight into Shane's game here, the thread is derailed with his image, weight and lifestyle.

Then the roll eyes, smart comments and quotes.

So again time for moderators to act.

Embarrassing

Leave it out lads, let's appreciate the fact that Shane has found form after two years in the doldrums. Irrespective of girth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Debate is good and no one is going to be censored from posting an opinion. Trolling on the other hand is not cool, if you think someone is doing that then hit the report button and we will review. Oh and anyone responding to this message send a PM rather than in thread as a)that'll get you a card and b)it'll derail the thread.

Edit; I'm ignoring everything up to this point. This place has ran fine but cards are just going to be given out where we see fit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Leave it out lads, let's appreciate the fact that Shane has found form after two years in the doldrums. Irrespective of girth.

Leave the bad jokes out thanks.

Keano wrote: »

Leave the bad jokes out thanks.

What joke? I'm dismissing the jibes about weight, and celebrating recent successes that his talent warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

But I'm being serious - the guys posting any criticism of Shane just after he just won a Rolex Series event - need to put all their efforts into fixing the Irish soccer team or get the Rugby lads across the line.

I mean - look what they did for Shane off their 12 or whatever handicap. They can sit in Doheny and Nesbitt and be proud of their contribution to the Irish Rugby team cause.

Honestly lads - your nation is calling, in what after all is Rugby Country.

Don't worry - we know you will be back when Shane misses a cut.

But I'm being serious - the guys posting any criticism of Shane just after he just won a Rolex Series event - need to put all their efforts into fixing the Irish soccer team or get the Rugby lads across the line.

I mean - look what they did for Shane off their 12 or whatever handicap. They can sit in Doheny and Nesbitt and be proud of their contribution to the Irish Rugby team cause.

This is a golf thread, please stick to talking about golf. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

This thread has taken a very strange turn.

I'm a big fan of Shane and disagree with the assumption that he has performed below his best over the last few years due to his weight.

But I definitely do not want people stopped from voicing their opinion on the subject even when it directly opposes my own thoughts.

Saying that Irish people should not post criticism of an Irish sports star after a win purely because he is Irish is crazy. I happen to agree with a number of points people made after the win about improvements that are needed to turn 1 win in to a consistent season for Shane. That does not mean I am not a fan of Shane. It means I am a realist and have a decent understanding of the game of golf.

And as for the poster claiming you can't have an opinion if you are a 12 handicapper. Just stop pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This might be news to you, but nobody here or otherwise did anything for Shane.
    Shane did things for Shane.
    Some people think he could do more and achieve more.
    Others seem to think that we should celebrate this win like the world cup rather than treat it like the stepping stone it hopefully is.

Felexicon wrote: »
    This thread has taken a very strange turn.

I'm a big fan of Shane and disagree with the assumption that he has performed below his best over the last few years due to his weight.

But I definitely do not want people stopped from voicing their opinion on the subject even when it directly opposes my own thoughts.

Saying that Irish people should not post criticism of an Irish sports star after a win purely because he is Irish is crazy. I happen to agree with a number of points people made after the win about improvements that are needed to turn 1 win in to a consistent season for Shane. That does not mean I am not a fan of Shane. It means I am a realist and have a decent understanding of the game of golf.

And as for the poster claiming you can't have an opinion if you are a 12 handicapper. Just stop pal.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    This might be news to you, but nobody here or otherwise did anything for Shane.
    Shane did things for Shane.
    Some people think he could do more and achieve more.
    Others seem to think that we should celebrate this win like the world cup rather than treat it like the stepping stone it hopefully is.

Back to talking, discussing, debating or whatever you are having about GOLF please and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Can I ask moderators to place some rules on forum for Shane.

There is a crazy rule on Rory's nationality.

Considering Shane is now our number 1 Irish pro.

There should be a bit of respect on the forum.

Tone of posts towards Shane is unacceptable.

He's not, Rory is. Have a look at OWGR. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads, I must say I’m very disappointed at some of the comments posted here. Please have a think about what you are posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Does anyone know when Shane is playing next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

abff wrote: »

First poster to say they cannot WAIT gets a ban? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Next week at Pebble Beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭YoTaro

"The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament"

So this is what's required for Shane to get into the Masters, be great if he got in. Currently ranked 44

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Needs top 10s, was lucky (through maths) not to slip after missing the cut at the Pebble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

slave1 wrote: »
    Needs top 10s, was lucky (through maths) not to slip after missing the cut at the Pebble

The next 3 tournaments he's playing in will all have a lot of points available. Great chance to consolidate his top 50 position if he can play well.

WGC Mexico Championship

21st-24th February

Mexico City, Mexico

Arnold Palmer Invitational

7th-10th March

Tampa, USA

The Players Championship

14th-17th March

Jacksonville, USA

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Even with JB Holmes moving from 100th to 42nd, Shane remains 44th in the rankings. Hopefully he has a good week in Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Poker Face wrote: »
    Even with JB Holmes moving from 100th to 42nd, Shane remains 44th in the rankings. Hopefully he has a good week in Mexico.

I would have thought JB would have been "slow" to move up the rankings?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The next 3 tournaments he's playing in will all have a lot of points available. Great chance to consolidate his top 50 position if he can play well.

The Players Championship

14th-17th March

Jacksonville, USA

The PGA Tour website doesn't list him as qualified to play in the TPC and the webpage (link below) has been updated as recently as last night or this morning by adding the exemptions that JB Holmes earned by winning the Genesis Open yesterday .......

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

coylemj wrote: »
    The PGA Tour website doesn't list him as qualified to play in the TPC and the webpage (link below) has been updated as recently as last night or this morning by adding the exemptions that JB Holmes earned by winning the Genesis Open yesterday .......

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html

He'll qualify by being inside the world top 50. So he has not qualified yet. However, I saw something recently that indicates this its mathematically unrealistic that he'll drop out by then but could very soon after i.e. the Masters ain't certain for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He’d be perfect for the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Drops 1 place in the WR to 45th after this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Poker Face wrote: »
    Drops 1 place in the WR to 45th after this week

When are the final round of invites for the Masters issued to the top 50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

glack wrote: »
    When are the final round of invites for the Masters issued to the top 50?

Needs to be in top 50 on April 1st. So week after WGC matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Are the top 5 in race to Dubai invited or is is solely his world ranking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Solely his world ranking in Shane’s case. Think he’s virtually guaranteed players at this stage and should be good for the matchplay. Hopefully get into valspar as well, think he’s going to need another decent performance somewhere to nail down that masters slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Remind me wrote: »
    Are the top 5 in race to Dubai invited or is is solely his world ranking?

No his only remaining chance is to stay in the top 50 or win a PGA event between now and then. Which would of course keep him in the top 50 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Good few below him has just as bad as week as him so wasn’t as bad as he would have expected if he knew he would have a blank week

Trampas wrote: »
    Good few below him has just as bad as week as him so wasn’t as bad as he would have expected if he knew he would have a blank week

+1 only one player passed him out and that was Aphibarnrat who was one behind Lowry last week on 45th. He finished T3 with Casey and Poulter in the WGC and jumped to 35th in the rankings, pushing Lowry back to 45th (from 44th) in the process.

The next nearest threat to Lowry in the rankings was Charles Howell III who was 49th last week, he finished 14th in the WGC but that was only sufficient to raise him two places to 47th.

Lowry's position in the world rankings is helped by the fact that the 48 points he picked up in Abu Dhabi will stay in full in his OWGR profile until week 16 which will see him well past the cutoff date (April 1st) for the Masters. The biggest threat to his place in the Masters is players just below him passing him out and pushing him out of the top 50. Even if some of those players have already bagged their invites to Augusta, it won't matter, Lowry has to be in the top 50 on April 1st or have won a PGA tour event between now and then.

Results in the Honda were very favourable to Shane so he stays at 45 in the rankings. The top 5 finishers were either already well inside the OWGR top 50 (Koepka and Fowler) or reasonably well outside it. The winner Keith Mitchell moved from 161 to 68 while tied for fourth was Lucas Glover (110 to 92) and Ryan Palmer (75 to 64).

But Shane needs to keep an eye in the rear view mirror as, for example, Lucas Bjerregaard (51 last week) came 12th in the Honda and that was enough for him to swap places with CHez Reavie (50 last week) i.e. he bumped him out of the top 50.

Great bounce back by shane after a bogey bogey start. -2 thru 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Hopefully a good round out of him today. Worth an E/W punt at 66/1.

MC upcoming by the looks of it. Really poor today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

fullstop wrote: »
    MC upcoming by the looks of it. Really poor today.

They showed a chip earlier it was very poor. What did he finish?

PGA tour app is down for me but leaderboard just went as far as +3 and he wasn’t seen

He would still have a few to play

They showed a chip earlier it was very poor. What did he finish?

He’s +5 for the day through 14,+3 overall and 2 shots outside the cut. Had a chance to push on after the win in Abu Dhabi and really hasn’t taken it, down near last place in the WGC last week and the weekend off here. Will be looking over his shoulder for his Augusta spot now.

fullstop wrote: »
    He’s +5 for the day through 14,+3 overall and 2 shots outside the cut. Had a chance to push on after the win in Abu Dhabi and really hasn’t taken it, down near last place in the WGC last week and the weekend off here. Will be looking over his shoulder for his Augusta spot now.

Indeed, another missed cut and valuable ranking points lost. Hopefully he can regroup quickly, staying in top 50 is gateway to the kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't remember him making a cut at Bay Hill, thought he would turn that around after Thursday but alas no, if after a few goes at it he should just relook at his schedule and drop it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

slave1 wrote: »
    I don't remember him making a cut at Bay Hill, thought he would turn that around after Thursday but alas no, if after a few goes at it he should just relook at his schedule and drop it

Said it himself on Instagram, 3 APIs 3 MC.

He’ll be fine for Augusta but just puts pressure on him to do well again soon to stay in top 50.

With the huge ranking points on pga tour you can be jumped from a long way back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kevin Kisner and Charles Howell both looking good to jump him after this week. Both riding high in the API as it stands

Good round from Ben An tomorrow and he could jump him too

Remains at 45 in the rankings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭YoTaro

So the players is his last tournament before 1st April by the looks of it

YoTaro wrote: »
    So the players is his last tournament before 1st April by the looks of it

Match play is before April 1st

Right now, the biggest threat to his top 50 position before April 1st is probably if a few players ranked just behind him (46-60) have good finishes in the Valspar which he is not eligible to enter. The WGC and TPC have elite fields which makes it less likely that multiple players curently ranked just below Shane are going to occupy top 10 places but that's precisely what could happen in the Valspar if the top boys take that week off.

Another weekend off for Shane.

• Advertisement

Must not want to go to Augusta as doing his best not to go

Advertisement