Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

What world ranking now

According to the OWGR website, he will move up to number 17th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

How ya heavyballs...... What no response?

Congrats Shane delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

He'll be back in some pro shop regripping clubs soon enough....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

5 year exemption to all the majors, the open until he’s 60, 5 years on PGA tour and 10 on European tour.

Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully he pushes on and stays up in the OWGR and secures a spot next year to the Ryder Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is well up.in the Fed ex Cup after that win. A week off and then back at it Stateside, you gotta keep playing when you are playing like he did this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Remind me wrote: »
    5 year exemption to all the majors, the open until he’s 60, 5 years on PGA tour and 10 on European tour.

Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully he pushes on and stays up in the OWGR and secures a spot next year to the Ryder Cup.

Cheers for that, was wondering about the PGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Think that has made my mind up to go to Wisconsin now. Last year in Paris was ridiculous so want to experience an away Ryder cup now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's only a 5 year exemption on the European Tour now. They previously dropped it to 7 years and it's down to 5 from this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Before he walked off 18, to greet his family and friends, Shane stopped to shake the hand of the lad who raked his bunkers all day.

Touch of class.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've no interest in golf really, but any time I've seen him interviewed or anything, and today after winning it, he comes across as a gentleman..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Before he walked off 18, to greet his family and friends, Shane stopped to shake the hand of the lad who raked his bunkers all day.

Touch of class.
    Every player did that in every group, see it at every tournament, lets not get carried away and make it out that Shane is somewhat different for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Good on him, did it easily too, never in doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Touch of class.

Ya, spotted that too. Top class gentleman.
    Sat near him at a Gaelic Football match in Limerick just 2 weeks ago and he had a constant smile on his face and a salute for everyone.:)
    Nice guys don't always finish last.!!
    Well done Shane. A proud day to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kmart6 wrote: »
    Every player did that in every group, see it at every tournament, lets not get carried away and make it out that Shane is somewhat different for that.

I know that.

Many other golfers who had just won the Open for the first time wouldn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is anybody saying otherwise..??

The open is the only tournament that have rakers with them.

Completely normal for the scorers to be acknowledged so you’re right, nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Many other golfers who had just won the Open for the first time wouldn’t.

Like?
    washman3 wrote: »
    Is anybody saying otherwise..??

By calling it out as something different when it is standard practice its implying he's different and others wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He’d be a good wild card pick even if he doesn’t make the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

EABHl-V0-Ws-AAQke-H.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

slave1 wrote: »
    Super to see Padraig waiting to congratulate him

Delighted to see Lowry win. Always thought he had the talent to be a major winner.
    Harrington missed the cut, but still hung around for the weekend to greet him.
    Two great ambassadors for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Lowry win. Always thought he had the talent to be a major winner.

McDowell also greeted him on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Today was the first time I watched a full round of golf , good stuff Shane, you made Ireland proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

stockdam wrote: »
    McDowell also greeted him on the 18th.

I know that and not knocking him. But he played today so it wasn't a huge effort to hang around.
    Bit of class from Harrington to show up having missed the cut imo.
    That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ah lads...that thread title give a me some goosebumps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Few posts deleted. This is a great day for Irish golf so let’s keep it that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

yaboya1 wrote: »

Yeah brilliant to see Harrington there to congratulate Lowry along with McDowell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Huge 5 year PGA exemption, 10 year European Tour exemption, in all the Majors for the next 5 years,up to 18 in Fed Ex cup.....it goes on and on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Where is the party ? Imagine Dublin tonight then esker hills Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

heavyballs wrote: »
    more chance of Ronan Rafferty coming back and winning a major imo,i said it at the time here that he was too hasty to turn pro and i beleive this has been proved.It took him 3 or 4 months before he started to do any proper physical training and it was stated in the media(could well be bs)that he was doing very little practice compared to the other pro's.
    He'll be running a pro shop in 5 years imo

Got that one wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Unbelievable performance from Lowry. Absolutely delighted for him. Up until the win in Abu Dhabi his game and his career looked like it was stagnating. Today aside, turned a corner in 2019 and I’d imagine it’s to do with him playing more regularly. Without looking at his stats, would it be fair to say he has played more this year than he has over the last three or four years?

My worry is that he’ll see this as the pinnacle and his form will tail off, something like what happened Garcia in 2017 after the Masters? It would be great to see him go up a notch and bring a level of consistency that we haven’t seen since the days when Harrington was top 3 in the world and was contending on the PGA tour on a constant basis.

It was such a thrill to see an Irish player do that today. Hopefully it will inspire Paul Dunne, a great pal of Lowry’s, who hasn’t had much luck since his win in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

heavyballs is no longer on boards so it's a pointless "ya boo" :D

I only see golf on the odd ocassion since Sky bought it all but watched the BBC highlights and was most impressed by Lowry, such brilliant short game soft hands. Good touch for a big man as they say.

(as an aside the Roadie will win a big one as well I'd say)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why Dublin tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    Huge 5 year PGA exemption, 10 year European Tour exemption, in all the Majors for the next 5 years,up to 18 in Fed Ex cup.....it goes on and on

He shouldn't need exemptions from anything from now on...needs to stay in top 30 at worst just by playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

17th in the world.

Savage

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    It's only a 5 year exemption on the European Tour now. They previously dropped it to 7 years and it's down to 5 from this year.

Still 10 year exemption

Why Dublin tonight?

see paddy mention it on Twitter. but not sure.

logistically they would have planed to come home Sunday id imagine ?

and for all the ideas with drink. Is portrush a town you go around drinking from a trophy with tricolours swinging.

not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

What age is the caddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

riddles wrote:
    What age is the caddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Has he not got obligations with the r & a this morning?

I assume he’ll be flying off to states today or worse case tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

eagle eye wrote: »

Really?! I would have though late 50’s!

Shanes in studio BBC interview was excellent.

Not sure if online ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Really?! I would have though late 50’s!

Just had a baby as well, which is why he wasn't on the bag at the Irish Open

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

great footage.

isn't "ole ole " a bit mindless at this stage.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

That fookin clown Ross is on the sor show. He was there...surprise surprise. Couldn't get onto the 18th,;) so went back and watched the telly. His dept will fund in full any celebration that SL wants. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

I really hope Shane has decent people behind him and a close circle of friends. Every fcukwit is going to want a piece of him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That fookin clown Ross is on the sor show. He was there...surprise surprise. Couldn't get onto the 18th,;) so went back and watched the telly. His dept will fund in full any celebration that SL wants. ;)

In all fairness he is the Minister of Sport.

Imagine the criticism if he had not been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

murpho999 wrote: »
    In all fairness he is the Minister of Sport.

Imagine the criticism if he had not been there.

He obviously wasnt there in an official capacity, he was there to be seen there

• Advertisement
Advertisement