Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is massive - delighted , haven't had time for it to sink in.

I'm taking time out with 6 holes of golf to try work it out.

Shane a class bloke , already seems to have a few hanger-oners around - will be a challenge going forward. Everyone will want more of him and he is a very generous bloke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Glebee wrote: »
    I really hope Shane has decent people behind him and a close circle of friends. Every fcukwit is going to want a piece of him now.

I think Conor Ridge knows how to look after both Shane and himself, just ask Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Glebee wrote:
    I really hope Shane has decent people behind him and a close circle of friends. Every fcukwit is going to want a piece of him now.

His "close circle of friends" has been getting a piece for quite some time. He needs less of that, not more.

The next few days and weeks will be mental but the sooner he gets back to home cooking the better for his golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

First Up wrote: »
    His "close circle of friends" has been getting a piece for quite some time. He needs less of that, not more.

The next few days and weeks will be mental but the sooner he gets back to home cooking the better for his golf.
    I don't think the above is the case. Have you anything to back that up or just talking for the sake of talking?

His brother is a very normal lad that works away in a financial job for a large multi-national. They seem a very grounded family. He's not going around like Neymar with an entourage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

I haven’t played a game of golf in 3 years due to other commitments family work etc. Was playing a lot for the 10 years before that and a member of a club. After watching the last few days I feel like getting back at it and I’m in my late 30’s so can only imagine the impact this win will have for the game in Ireland on young boys & girls and teens.
    Probably a good time for clubs to roll out offers, membership incentives, etc

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I don't think the above is the case. Have you anything to back that up or just talking for the sake of talking?

His brother is a very normal lad that works away in a financial job for a large multi-national. They seem a very grounded family. He's not going around like Neymar with an entourage.

I doubt he was talking about his brother.

I doubt he was talking about his brother.

I wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Who do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Keano wrote: »
    Does a good caddy help? It sure can but he had an experienced one on the bag when he let the US Open too...

Shane has come out and said he owes Brian a lot.

Who do you mean?

I'm not getting into that. He knows who I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm not getting into that..

Why not? Is this widely known? I just thought he was well regarded. Are there people using him to that extent like you said earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Lads although this is the biggest tournament he's won he has won big tournaments before! Is already a muti millionaire. I think he's going to be just fine!

(next) 40 Major appearances/chances guaranteed and even if all over at that stage another 22 Opens after that, he's laughing, made for life

Why not? Is this widely known? I just thought he was well regarded. Are there people using him to that extent like you said earlier?

Yes it is widely known. He is generous with his friends and some of them have been known to go a bit far.

I'm not getting into it any more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Yes it is widely known. He is generous with his friends and some of them have been known to go a bit far.

I'm not getting into it any more than that.
    Absolutely not the case from what I have seen but I have as much right to say that as you have so c'est la vie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes, let's move on from that and celebrate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Shane’s nanny on RTÉ news was gold if anyone can link it in here.

Smiling from ear to ear watching it here for the 10th time

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

slave1 wrote: »
    (next) 40 Major appearances/chances guaranteed and even if all over at that stage another 22 Opens after that, he's laughing, made for life

Is it not next 5 years? So next 20. Plus Open after that until 60.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lowry will surely finally make a long overdue appearance in the Ryder Cup next year, if not automatically then as a captain`s pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭gilly1910

Remind me wrote: »
    The open is the only tournament that have rakers with them.

Completely normal for the scorers to be acknowledged so you’re right, nothing new.

I actually didn't know that, but as they say you learn something new everyday :)
    What a tournament, what a result, and what an absolute credit Shane Lowry is to himself, to his family, his country and golf in general. Well done Shane, you've won the biggest one of them all, yeah maybe there is an argument of whether the Open or Masters is the biggest, but I would hazard a guess that the Open means more to golfers from these Islands?

Lowry will surely finally make a long overdue appearance in the Ryder Cup next year, if not automatically then as a captain`s pick.

that's what is driving him next in golf he said himself in interviews after the win.

I'm sure that he'll be aiming to get there on ranking.

But being good friends with Harrington won't be a disadvantage assuming he's showing some form heading into September 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont actually think this will help him get into the RyderCup at all (other than his own confidence to play his way on) as its too far away.
    He should just make it by merit, though he might suffer the post major dip which would be bad timing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont actually think this will help him get into the RyderCup at all (other than his own confidence to play his way on) as its too far away.
    He should just make it by merit, though he might suffer the post major dip which would be bad timing...

Always a lovely ray of sunshine :D

GreeBo wrote:
    I dont actually think this will help him get into the RyderCup at all (other than his own confidence to play his way on) as its too far away. He should just make it by merit, though he might suffer the post major dip which would be bad timing...

The European list doesn't start until the PGA in September but he's already well positioned on the World Rankings and he is guaranteed entry into everything that matters for the next year.

In his own hands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

GreeBo wrote: »
    I would agree. Ryder cup is a long way off and just because he won a major in 2019 doesn't entitle him to his spot in 2020. Don't believe Shane would expect that either and would prefer to secure his spot rather than relying on captain's pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Keano wrote: »
    I would agree. Ryder cup is a long way off and just because he won a major in 2019 doesn't entitle him to his spot in 2020. Don't believe Shane would expect that either and would prefer to secure his spot rather than relying on captain's pic.

Also agree, he wouldn't want to be another Danny Willet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

etxp wrote: »
    Also agree, he wouldn't want to be another Danny Willet.

If only because of the low standard of trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If only because of the low standard of trousers.

You should have seen them on Wednesday....the caddy had them in all white!:eek:

• Advertisement

The whole world looking for Shane but they can only get his impressive nan, lads from club and the butcher on radio.

He is on lash with mates.

you got to love him.

where is he.

like where's wally at present.
    my guess boars head ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    He's only 22! I see no reason to believe why he cant go on and be great and win a major(s). Harrington didnt even reach the World's top 10 until he was around 30, so Lowry has plenty of time. The last thing that is needed though is for everyone to be putting loads of pressure on him to be successful quickly. Let him develop in his own time.

First, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

glasso wrote: »
    I'm sure that he'll be aiming to get there on ranking.

But being good friends with Harrington won't be a disadvantage assuming he's showing some form heading into September 2020

Actually, quite the opposite! Harrington is such a straight arrow that he would find it very difficult to give a wild card to a friend unless he was clearly in better form than the other candidates. I think he may have already gone on record saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

abff wrote: »
    Actually, quite the opposite! Harrington is such a straight arrow that he would find it very difficult to give a wild card to a friend unless he was clearly in better form than the other candidates. I think he may have already gone on record saying this.

Similar to Bjorn and Olessen

I did say if he's showing form.

but if it's close between Lowry and some Spanish or German guy I think that Lowry will be on the plane!

Yep, Shane will have to play his way in, P said exactly as you have outlined

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

You would hope that beating the world's best golfers by 6 shots would stand to Shane if he ever gets into contention again. On the other hand, you have Danny Willet, Michael Campbell and Ian Baker Finch whose play deteriorated after winning a major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

blackcard wrote: »
    You would hope that beating the world's best golfers by 6 shots would stand to Shane if he ever gets into contention again. On the other hand, you have Danny Willet, Michael Campbell and Ian Baker Finch whose play deteriorated after winning a major

Clarke, duval. The list gones on.

Never win the open in a year ending in 1 is key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Trampas wrote: »

Clarke was coming towards the end of his career

Lowry has backed up a WGC win and big European wins with a major. I have no doubt he will push on but he certainly has nothing to prove to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

The whole world looking for Shane but they can only get his impressive nan, lads from club and the butcher on radio.

He is on lash with mates.

you got to love him.

where is he.

like where's wally at present.
    my guess boars head ?

He just left the Blue Light pub in Stepaside, doubt he’s been to bed at all since it finished!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

deaglan1 wrote: »

Nails G Mac :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Trampas wrote: »

Eh.... I give you Arnold Palmer in 1961 and Lee Trevino in 1971 both of whom won big tournaments including majors well after those Open victories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Shane Lowry's driving reminds me of Sam Snead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Great crowd here in Clara

• Advertisement

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Great crowd here in Clara

put up some photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

glasso wrote: »
    put up some photos

It's on RTE News Now, They have him mobbed in the town so they've gone away from it for a while but they'll be back to clara when he gets to the stage I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Is he going to turn up in Memphis on Thursday or has he pulled out?

durkadurka wrote: »
    Is he going to turn up in Memphis on Thursday or has he pulled out?

he's out. next tournament that he will play is the Fedex playoffs he said.

that starts Aug 8.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clara was good craic this evening..... Perfect weather, lots of families.

• Advertisement
Advertisement