Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I’d say he’s looking forward to an absolute switch off holiday, expected, but he is being pulled and dragged left, right and centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fair play to Shane.

he has been fantastic today in every interview and what i seen of Clara.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭liamoreilly

...That is an insane crowd, no chance he could ever have expected that, but amazing to see...Would Harrington/Rory have gotten that kinda welcome after their 1st major, can't recall it...

fair play to Shane.

he has been fantastic today in every interview and what i seen of Clara.

top guy in every respect.

...That is an insane crowd, no chance he could ever have expected that, but amazing to see...Would Harrington/Rory have gotten that kinda welcome after their 1st major, can't recall it...

Not sure any comparison is relevant.

All had a homecoming to their club etc.

But a homecoming in a GAA / rural area has a completely different historical / legacy context.

Of course helped by the bloke / sporting family background.

it kind of has a GAA feel .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Doubt it but Shane more of a “local” and embedded into the small community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

slave1 wrote: »
    Doubt it but Shane more of a “local” and embedded into the small community

Yeah this is true. It did have a feel of Offaly winning a hurling AI around the county these past few days. Not drawing a comparison but the level of excitement and happiness. What an evening for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Gutted I couldn't make it to clara last night but that's the joys of work. I'm still smiling from ear to ear for Shane and it's unbelievable the joy, happiness and excitement he has brought to our county and country the last few day. A great ambassador and role model. I hope he pushes on now and keeps winning on tour.

Now living in Laois I had great fun the last few days celebrating Offaly and talking about something different than Laois hurling rise this year VS Offalys downfall.

We're On The Up !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Good to see he finally got out of his golf gear! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Report that Lowry wants to carry the Irish flag at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic opening ceremony next year.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-wants-to-be-irelands-flag-bearer-at-tokyo-olympics/ar-AAELers?li=AAdf4rm

Report that Lowry wants to carry the Irish flag at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic opening ceremony next year.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-wants-to-be-irelands-flag-bearer-at-tokyo-olympics/ar-AAELers?li=AAdf4rm

Probably a possibility. But talk at this time should be considered pub talk.

Golf a questionable sport in Olympics and an emerging Oylmpic sport.

He hasn't even been and pulled out last time.

plenty of people in boxing , rowing , sailing , athletics etc to be considered first who have had life long Olympic careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Does he want to go to this one?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just as a matter of interest, is it the real claret jug that they let the winner haul around for a year, or is it a replica. Would they take the risk of such an historic trophy going missing during the course of a year.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, is it the real claret jug that they let the winner haul around for a year, or is it a replica. Would they take the risk of such an historic trophy going missing during the course of a year.

your given both is my understanding.

not sure timing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Roger_007 wrote: »

The real claret jug has not been given to anyone since 1927. From 1928 a replica has been given (which is the real one as we know it) that must be returned, along with a new replica for the winner to keep.

Interestingly, they mistakenly gave the original to Tom Watson for one of his wins, he damaged it while taking a practice swing

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2019-13-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-history-of-the-claret-jug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

newport2 wrote: »
    The real claret jug has not been given to anyone since 1927. From 1928 a replica has been given (which is the real one as we know it) that must be returned, along with a new replica for the winner to keep.

Interestingly, they mistakenly gave the original to Tom Watson for one of his wins, he damaged it while taking a practice swing

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2019-13-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-history-of-the-claret-jug

Great read. Also for one day a year, sometime in November, the R&A allow access to the clubhouse at St.Andrews to the public and it's in there you get to see the original Claret Jug (The one not awarded to the champion post 1927) and the original Championship Belt. I've not had the pleasure but I'd like to do that some day.

Well if Paddy didn't hold the flag with his three Majors......

no point on him in going overboard on the Olympics flag-bearer thing....

I presume somebody asked him the question as opposed to him saying that he wanted to do it - typical journo provocation to create a headline really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭gilly1910

Mod snip

Already said this Thread is not about whether Golf belongs at The Olympics
    Start another thread if you want but stop taking this Thread Off Topic Please.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Mod snip

Already said this Thread is not about whether Golf belongs at The Olympics
    Start another thread if you want but stop taking this Thread Off Topic Please.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The winners can also get another couple of scaled down replicas. That was as close as I’ve come to holding the claret jug. I believe they have to pay for them but I won’t divulge the price on an open forum.
    I would imagine that Bo could have one up his mantle soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seve OB wrote: »
    The winners can also get another couple of scaled down replicas. That was as close as I’ve come to holding the claret jug. I believe they have to pay for them but I won’t divulge the price on an open forum.
    I would imagine that Bo could have one up his mantle soon.

Sounds painful :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

etxp wrote: »
    Sounds painful :eek:

So that's why it's called the Claret Jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wdm

Ireland should be proud of Shane Lowery I know I have a complete different opinion about him. He seems like a very down to earth guy, not hard to pull for a guy like him. If he continues to play at the same level he did at the Open he will be in the winners circle quiet a few more times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

glasso wrote: »
    put up some photos

EALsjgNWwAEhR_6?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Dev1234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nothing new in that, said it all in interviews on Sunday and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Jazuz, he’s gonna need surgery to get that Jug removed from his hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Looks like the post Open celebrations finally caught up with Shane this afternoon. Hopefully he'll be back on form next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

abff wrote: »
    Looks like the post Open celebrations finally caught up with Shane this afternoon. Hopefully he'll be back on form next week.

6 over already! Nightmare stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

What happened was -1 and -6 overall earlier ?

What happened was -1 and -6 overall earlier ?

Found water several times on the front nine. He's inevitably a little flat, will find his rhythm in the coming weeks. Can't see him pulling a 'Clarke' and coasting on his achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He has work to do no w to make the finals

Found water several times on the front nine. He's inevitably a little flat, will find his rhythm in the coming weeks. Can't see him pulling a 'Clarke' and coasting on his achievements.

He sounded ambitious for the future in his post Open interviews,so hopefully that rhythm will return in the coming weeks.He probably still needs to find more consistency in his game,.

He sounded ambitious for the future in his post Open interviews,so hopefully that rhythm will return in the coming weeks.He probably still needs to find more consistency in his game,.

Take the round in progress, for instance. After dropping 7 shots in 6 holes, he's birdied 4 out of the last 5. Didn't let his head drop, the man is a ferocious competitor.

Take the round in progress, for instance. After dropping 7 shots in 6 holes, he's birdied 4 out of the last 5. Didn't let his head drop, the man is a ferocious competitor.

Excellent recovery by him, to be fair. Probably won't help his overall position that much, but should give him some confidence heading into next week. I reckon a top 30 finish next week should be good enough to get him into the Tour Championship.

Not too bad in the end considering he nearly missed his tee time apparently!

Lying second last in the BMW at present.There is no cut,but getting into the top thirty appears slim.Unfortunately the inconsistency continues.

• Advertisement

In last place fourteen shots behind leader Matsuyama after round two,not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

In last place fourteen shots behind leader Matsuyama after round two,not good.

Won his first major within the last month. Most guys that do so have a fairly long golfing hangover. I think we can cut him a bit of slack

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Mciiroy does not get to much slack around here but it’s ok for the big lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

He can show Bryson how you can do a round under 3 hours today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

-3 today with four holes to play. PGA Tour Leaderboard has him at projected 35 so a couple of birdies in the last four holes just might do it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Birdied the 17th so finished -4 today, -1 overall but is way down the table on T60. He started this week in 25th place but there is now only one player below him on the leaderboard (Harold Varner III) who started the week in the top 30. Lowry is currently projected to finish 35th so he is going to need a really good round tomorrow to make it into the top 30 to play next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Caddy cart wrote: »
    Mciiroy does not get to much slack around here but it’s ok for the big lad.

This is a joke, right?!

What are the projections for Shane to stay in the top 30 tomorrow, another -4/5?

coylemj wrote: »
    -3 today with four holes to play. PGA Tour Leaderboard has him at projected 35 so a couple of birdies in the last four holes just might do it.....

I think he was -5 today after 8 holes,pity he wasn't a few shots under par over the first two rounds.

Currently projected as 31st and the guy in 30th has just found water on the 17th. So he's definitely in with a chance of making it through to next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

abff wrote: »
    Currently projected as 31st and the guy in 30th has just found water on the 17th. So he's definitely in with a chance of making it through to next week.

PGA Tour website has him projected 33. Needs a similar score tomorrow probably to get in?

Advertisement