Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

On a knife edge -now at 31 !

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

boardise wrote: »

Did he make the putt on 17?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Did he make the putt on 17?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

boardise wrote: »

Making the Tour Championship would be fantastic.

Unless one or two guys mess up-Shane needs 2 birdies I reckon to clinch it. Not sure if one would be enough.

At 32 with 6 to play .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Kokrak birdieing the last doesn't help the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Kokrak birdieing the last doesn't help the cause.

Neither does Shane failing to birdie the par 5 5th. Probably needs to score 3 under for the last four holes.

Solid bogey free round but lodges at 33. ( psychologically preferable to 31st ! )
    Poor second round did for him. Gets 190.000 dollars . ( 30th place guaranteed 395,000.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Now official - he finished 33rd.

Lowry (25 ==> 33), Harold Varner III (29 ==> 38) and Andrew Putnam (30 ==> 34) dropped out of the top 30.

https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/official-standings.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It's easy to sit on an armchair or couch with a laptop or phone and comment positively or negatively on a player who is out there for 4-5 hours on a golf course doing his best to win or to qualify for a big tournament,without being smart arsed,it is really tough out there and requires a lot of skill,consistency and mental ability.Unfortunately Shane still lacks consistency in his game.He had a wonderful win in the Open and deserved the adulation and celebration that he had,but he hasn't built on that and now his season is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He had a wonderful win in the Open and deserved the adulation and celebration that he had,but he hasn't built on that and now his season is over.

You make it sound like he has to pack his bags and go into hibernation until January. The 2019-20 PGA Tour season starts on Sept 12th though there is no big money tournament stateside for the remainder of 2019.

In the meantime, he can play on the European Tour where he currently leads the Road to Dubai rankings. The BMW PGA Championship in September has a prize fund of $7 million, the Alfred Dunhill ($5 million) the following week and the Italian Open ($7 million) two weeks later. He can then play in the WGC-HSBC in China ($10 million) followed by the final three events on the ET which collectively have a prize fund of >$20 million.

A bit premature to write him off for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

It's easy to sit on an armchair or couch with a laptop or phone and comment positively or negatively on a player who is out there for 4-5 hours on a golf course doing his best to win or to qualify for a big tournament,without being smart arsed,it is really tough out there and requires a lot of skill,consistency and mental ability.Unfortunately Shane still lacks consistency in his game.He had a wonderful win in the Open and deserved the adulation and celebration that he had,but he hasn't built on that and now his season is over.

Seriously? He's played two events since wining the biggest tournament in the world, the season is really just starting on the European tour with some big events and I'm sure he will be in contention in some of those.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Making Atlanta would have been the icing on the cake for sure, but not to be, shame but I doubt he will dwell on it.
    Back to ET and start raking up some RC points from the PGA in Sept....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

He has a great opportunity to win the OoM in Europe. Hope he plays well in the last few events and closes that out. Shame to miss the Tour Championship but doubt he will be too upset after winning the Open. He plays well at Wentworth usually(in May) so hopefully a good showing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I presume Atlanta wasn’t even on his radar at the start of the season co soldering he had no card on the PGA tour. To finish 33rd on their OOM means he has had a great year. Tiger is the only other player in the top 50 who played fewer PGA tour events and out of the top 125 only Wolff and Morikawa played less.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    He has a great opportunity to win the OoM in Europe. Hope he plays well in the last few events and closes that out. Shame to miss the Tour Championship but doubt he will be too upset after winning the Open. He plays well at Wentworth usually(in May) so hopefully a good showing there.

If I recall correctly, it was holing a monster putt on the 72th hole to finish second on his own behind Rory in the PGA Championship at Wentworth in May 2014 that kickstarted Shane's move into the top 50 after a spell in the doldrums for the first few months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

coylemj wrote: »
    You make it sound like he has to pack his bags and go into hibernation until January. The 2019-20 PGA Tour season starts on Sept 12th though there is no big money tournament stateside for the remainder of 2019.

In the meantime, he can play on the European Tour where he currently leads the Road to Dubai rankings. The BMW PGA Championship in September has a prize fund of $7 million, the Alfred Dunhill ($5 million) the following week and the Italian Open ($7 million) two weeks later. He can then play in the WGC-HSBC in China ($10 million) followed by the final three events on the ET which collectively have a prize fund of >$20 million.

A bit premature to write him off for 2019.

No big money stateside? everyone bar 1 had winners cheque less than a million and that's cause it clashed with HSBC. Every event on PGA tour is literally big money.

Korea had a 9.5 million prize fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's brilliant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

For a while I've been checking the Open online shop to see if the 2019 Open Championship DVD is on sale. Last week I bought three recent Open DVDs.
    Today I sent them an e-mail asking when the 2019 DVD will be on sale.

• Advertisement

Shane's on the Late Late tomorrow night

+1 for first round of the Italian Open today,8 shots behind the leader,so playing catch up again the same as in Wentworth.

Missed the cut,unfortunately not going too well since the great Open win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He can be a bit streaky like that

How many events has he played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Remind me wrote: »

How many events has he played?

This was his 5th since The Open. There's a couple of finishes in the 50s in the 2 after Open, then T11 and T15 and now the missed cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

He is probably still adjusting to the demands on him at the moment.

New year and new start.

Any ideas where he is planning to plan come Jan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He has a massive chance to win the Race to Dubai. That isn't insignificant

Never winning one and winning 2/3 majors would be noted. I think he really will want to win an order of merit. Not be the opposite of Montgomery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Opportunity lost this week. Tough ask to catch Rahmbo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Opportunity lost this week. Tough ask to catch Rahmbo.

Wiesberger is #1 now after he won.

The last three tournaments before the final event in Dubai have good points going. There's a chance but I wouldn't have him as favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He's been struggling with form since The Open. Would be nice to see him get some of that back, even a Top 20 finish in the next comp would be good.

etxp wrote: »
    He's been struggling with form since The Open. Would be nice to see him get some of that back, even a Top 20 finish in the next comp would be good.

To be fair, he had two top-15s in the last 2 comps before the weekend just gone (BMW at Wentworth and Dunhill Links). He hasn't fallen apart but he should be looking at a strong finish.

People do realise these tournaments are all ultra competitive right? You can't just rock up and expect a Top 10, Top 5 or a win. They have to be earned through excellent play.

I think Shane has been doing fine since the Open win with all the extra attention.

Exactly wrote: »
    People do realise these tournaments are all ultra competitive right? You can't just rock up and expect a Top 10, Top 5 or a win. They have to be earned through excellent play.

I think Shane has been doing fine since the Open win with all the extra attention.

He has been shooting par or over in his first rounds since the Open while the leaders have been 6 or 7 under after the first day.He needs to start playing sub par first rounds again and be in the top ten instead of
    70th or 80th

Open Champion, 2 wins so far in 2019, 3rd on race to Dubai, just misses out on Tour Championship, card, majors, career sorted for the next five years, inside top 20 in the world from a very precarious position at the end of 2018 and people still having a pop!

Hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

He has been shooting par or over in his first rounds since the Open while the leaders have been 6 or 7 under after the first day.He needs to start playing sub par first rounds again and be in the top ten instead of
    70th or 80th

Since the open he has played 5 times I think, 3 in Europe & 2 in the US making 4 out of 5 cuts

https://www.europeantour.com/players/shane-lowry-36489/

2 top 15 finishes with 6 out of 8 rounds under par in the 2 ET events after the Open.... picking out his over par or par first rounds is a bit odd since there are so many factors to take into account, predominately weather and in the dunhill which course.

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.33204.shane-lowry.html
    Made 2 cuts on the PGA - nothing spectacular but hardly a catastrophe either

A bad weekend in Italy no doubt, but it's hardly the doomsday scenario you are painting

First round of ZOZO Championship in Japan today,leader Tiger Woods -6,Shane Lowry in 33rd place on +1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lowry is in a tie for 33rd which isn't a bad start.

3 shots off T7.

But early for the panic button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lowry is in a tie for 33rd which isn't a bad start.

Good weekend, currently T12

• Advertisement

Looks like he was one off the lowest final round finishing 13th

Nice progression throughout the tournament - 71, 69, 67, 65.

Once again playing catch up after a level par first round in Shanghai.Strange that the sluggish indifferent first rounds continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Started off well but fluffed it towards the end. A good second round could get him back in the mix. Would agree that he seems to be starting tournaments slowly and building into them but leaving himself too far behind early to mount a challenge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Luckily there is no cut,so he has a chance to improve in rounds three and four

Chance for Shane to move back to the top of the Race to Dubai this week. He's not in the entry list for next week's tournament, so needs a good week to keep his hopes of winning the Race alive.

I see that Shane is playing alongside Wiesberger and Rose tomorrow. Tee off at 12 noon local time - 3 pm Irish time.

Fancy him to do well this week. Has played a few events recently so hopefully in the groove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

12 noon Turkey time is 9am Irish time.

12 noon Turkey time is 9am Irish time.

Sorry, got that backwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement