Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Does the same apply when you're watching the football World Cup?
    Comparing soccer and golf?
    Nothing remotely similar about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

its an interesting comparison. There is such saturation coverage of sport these days that 'major' tournaments are not nearly as alluring as they were before 1998. Most of the best players play in a couple of leagues which in turn monopolise the highest level competitions (Champions League). I would say there are similarities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Nice to see a lot of Shane now on sky in a featured group with Phil Michelson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Nice to see a lot of Shane now on sky in a featured group with Phil Michelson

He's looking good the last few holes too. -3 with 6 left to play on the front 9. He's already played the bear trap so should post a good first round.

It's pretty windy out there which is sure to suit and he looks in control of his swing. Here's hoping for another big week, hopefully he can be in the final few groups over the weekend and we can enjoy watching him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dublin49

wonder how far away we are away from being able to watch the player you want to follow,imagine cant be too far,with probably the caddies wearing cameras as well.I have watched alot of American golf over the years to catch a glimpse of an Irish player,Mcllroy being the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

dublin49 wrote: »
    wonder how far away we are away from being able to watch the player you want to follow,imagine cant be too far,with probably the caddies wearing cameras as well.I have watched alot of American golf over the years to catch a glimpse of an Irish player,Mcllroy being the exception.

[rant]I hate the "featured group" ****e with a passion! Bloody American crap. Just don't be lazy and show the coverage properly. How many majors etc go by and you don't see a player that could be in contention until the weekend.

Augusta are the worst of all. That place needs to be given a kick in the arse and move into the 21st century despite how much their "up their own arse" members wouldn't like it.[/rant]

The coverage is something else now alright. I used too hate the old PGA tour coverage on sky sports where they basically just showed birdie putts being made from everywhere on the final two days. You were lucky to see a tee shot.

Made the game look like a glorified putting contest. It's fantastic now to see every shot of a group, to actually see the shape of the shots, how many bad shots a pro hits on average (way more than you think in terms of drives and approaches). It's just around the greens they hardly make any mistakes and that's all we ever saw previously, making them seem completely superhuman :P

Only drawback is wall to wall coverage can eat up all your time and little to no work gets done! :pac:

Theres cameras on every hole ,coverage should be much more interactive,I like to speed watch golf and rugby and condense 2/3 hrs into less than an hour,unfortunately a text can ruin your delayed viewing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

eagle eye wrote: »
    Comparing soccer and golf?
    Nothing remotely similar about them.

Yes there is. Do you support Liverpool, Man U, etc or is it Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Theres cameras on every hole ,coverage should be much more interactive,I like to speed watch golf and rugby and condense 2/3 hrs into less than an hour,unfortunately a text can ruin your delayed viewing .

I'm down to the PGA highlights on YouTube these day, let sports sub lapse and never bothered going back

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm down to the PGA highlights on YouTube these day, let sports sub lapse and never bothered going back

.It was great when your sky subcription got you all Golf ,tennis Rugby and cycling,now its totally fragmented .especially tennis that we used to love watchin.I am goin to try the day pass from Now TV when Lowry is in contention.Wonder has it worked for anyone on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

techdiver wrote: »
    [rant]I hate the "featured group" ****e with a passion! Bloody American crap. Just don't be lazy and show the coverage properly. How many majors etc go by and you don't see a player that could be in contention until the weekend.

Augusta are the worst of all. That place needs to be given a kick in the arse and move into the 21st century despite how much their "up their own arse" members wouldn't like it.[/rant]

Augusta release a completely free of charge mobile app that allows you to watch every shot from every player on demand. Seems pretty 21st century to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Augusta release a completely free of charge mobile app that allows you to watch every shot from every player on demand. Seems pretty 21st century to me.

It's top class, far ahead of anything else. Was last year the first year of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

slave1 wrote: »

ahhh if it's really good, you gotta watch it live. like if Lowry was in the mix back 9 Sunday. the networks know this and that's why they pay so much for sports

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Got a link for that? Is this after the event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As we know Shanes form tends to be streaky.

Following last weeks good showing it looks like he is warming up nicely now.

Great chip in on the last there to move up to T5.

If he's going to play his way into the Ryder Cup it could happen in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Great to see Shane continuing his fine form of last week, prospect of some brilliant times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Bookies have him 4th favourite at about 8/1 after chipping in for eagle on the 18th for a 66 to take him to 7 under, 5 behind leader but only 2 behind 2nd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Great position going into the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Got a link for that? Is this after the event?

Just have to install the masters app and itll be on there. Very close to live

• Advertisement

Golfhead65 wrote:
    Yes there is. Do you support Liverpool, Man U, etc or is it Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers
    No I don't support any of them.

I see Shane remarking on wind due for the weekend.Wonder what he thinks that does for his chances

dublin49 wrote:
    I see Shane remarking on wind due for the weekend.Wonder what he thinks that does for his chances
    Well he won an Open on a links and he's a great scrambler so I'd guess it helps.

Well he won an Open on a links and he's a great scrambler so I'd guess it helps.

yeah I am inclined to agree although wind can also cause carnage,I see Paddy was +6 yesterday for holes 15&16 so those holes with stronger wind could destroy your chances.Was watchin Poulter goin along nicely yesterday and then checked later and he had missed the cut ,theres no coasting home on this course and Shane will need to keep big numbers off his card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Putter letting Shane down early on, good few looks at birdie on the easier front 9. Needs another-3/4 under round to have a shot at winning tomorrow.

If Shane keeps getting the pars he'll be in serious shape at the end of this round by the looks of things.

On the tenth he just hit a 358 yard drive. Insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If Shane keeps getting the pars he'll be in serious shape at the end of this round by the looks of things.

On the tenth he just hit a 358 yard drive. Insane.

Yeah he’s in great shape. Nobody looks to be going too low. I’d say he’d happily take 9 pars to finish if you offered them to him.

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah he’s in great shape. Nobody looks to be going too low. I’d say he’d happily take 9 pars to finish if you offered them to him.

He certainly would now

good bogey on 11th .par from here will do

• Advertisement

good bogey on 11th .par from here will do

Radars opinion is worth a lot more than mine but I think -13/14 not -10 wins this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Low ranking points this week compared to most weeks on tour.

Doing well but not a great day today but he is in his streaky run.

Is he playing in matchplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Shane shooting 5 over on his back nine . Pretty awful stuff. Hopefully he can get a top ten finish tomorrow

Shane shooting 5 over on his back nine . Pretty awful stuff. Hopefully he can get a top ten finish tomorrow

His putting is a big, big problem for him. That’s a very bad back 9.

Just when we thought a corner had been turned......

Still wouldn't rule him out but looks unlikely now.

• Advertisement

I hope today was Shanes bad day and hopefullly tomorrow will be better.if Jones has a bad day tomorrow Shane is only 4 behind although there is a big number of players back in the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’d like t see him try and shot as low as possible by playing aggressive and signs with whatever. Nothing to lose

Trampas wrote: »
    I’d like t see him try and shot as low as possible by playing aggressive and signs with whatever. Nothing to lose

nah.sensible head ,shoot 2 under get top 5/10 and continue good run and try a get a good run next week.Play agressive there and you could look silly.just putt better.

Shocking weekend for Lowry. Last 2 rounds have really undone any momentum built up through the previous 6.

If shot tracker is accurate on the greens his putting has been his achilles heel this week. Plus a few brain farrs but they're always going to happen. Hes had plenty of birdie looks but couldn't convert.

Full-on implosion. +8 for his last 18 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

Trampas wrote: »

+4 for final round. Probably got a bit aggressive alright and didn’t work out.
    It’s a very difficult course and he has played some good golf. Just needs a bit more consistency.

Hopefully continues to improve for Augusta.

Crazy how he can go from 67-66 to 74-74 on the weekend.

It's mad, he went from the most likely winner on 10 yesterday to midfield also ran.

His putting will worrying him but there's definitely a lot of encouragement and he has the Matchplay next, a good run there and he'll be in great shape, will also want to show that he can handle the Matchplay environment, be a good chance to take a big American scalp maybe.

He'll need to putt better but once it's going against you on those grainy bermuda greens it can be hard to regain your confidence. Add in high winds and loads of water and it can get away from you fast.

There's more reason to be upbeat than not I would say

Very disappointing seeing Hagy on -7 finishes second and Shane was on -8 before that awful back 9 yesterday.

It's mad, he went from the most likely winner on 10 yesterday to midfield also ran.

There's more reason to be upbeat than not I would say

dont think so .he was fragile when playing well ,the last 27 holes wont have done his fragile confidence any good although matchplay might be better for him after that .He struggles to get back on track after a few bad holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well beaten today in the matchplay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Gets our first today as his match is a dead rubber

Needs a result of something to get some ranking points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think this week as ruined any chance he had of gett6a wildcard pick for the Ryder cup. His only hope now is to make the team on points.

I think he was unlikely to get a pick anyway but this week has put to bed any slim hope

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think this week as ruined any chance he had of gett6a wildcard pick for the Ryder cup. His only hope now is to make the team on points.

I think he was unlikely to get a pick anyway but this week has put to bed any slim hope

I’d reckon the match play forms only a tiny percentage of any captains decision.

Shane is clearly not in great form at all at the moment, he had been driving well with a sketchy putter but the driving seems to have not been great last 2 days.

I’m not pretending he’s not going to have to have a massive improvement in results to get into contention, but we have 4 majors and a bunch of WGCs before the cutoff date. are you really implying if he went on a run but came up just a slot or two short of the automatic places Harrington will discount him because he was poor in the match play 6 months previous? Nonsense.

But he absolutely needs to put a run together, as the longer it goes on the points target gets higher higher.

I’d reckon the match play forms only a tiny percentage of any captains decision.

Shane is clearly not in great form at all at the moment, he had been driving well with a sketchy putter but the driving seems to have not been great last 2 days.

I’m not pretending he’s not going to have to have a massive improvement in results to get into contention, but we have 4 majors and a bunch of WGCs before the cutoff date. are you really implying if he went on a run but came up just a slot or two short of the automatic places Harrington will discount him because he was poor in the match play 6 months previous? Nonsense.

But he absolutely needs to put a run together, as the longer it goes on the points target gets higher higher.

He did well in players and first two rounds last week. Gone off the boil since then.

Performance this week could have a say in it. It’s match play like Ryder cup

• Advertisement
Advertisement