Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

gypsy79 wrote: »
    We asked where does he rank against current US golfers....A better question might be where would he rank versus Irish golfers of old?

My initial thoughts were Darren Clarke but quick google and he has someway to go to have a similar career overall. Maybe it was the fact that Darren won his major when he was on way down that altered my memory of where he was in the game

On this forum, Shane has his lovers. His common man appeal. And they elevate him way above his station which causes it to look like people like me are pedantically fighting and rooting against him. We are just realists!

Way above his station? What the hell does that mean? Ridiculous comment. Being bitchy and negative does not equate to being “realists”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

TheCitizen wrote: »
    1 under for the day. Even par for the championship. 5 behind Mickleson that’s good going.

Fantastic, cant see anyone making ground this afternoon so right in the mix now, some great scrambling today , held it together really well,

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Well there at even par..I agree with Brad Faxon when he says that Shane's putting is holding him back.

Would be great to see him go to Faxon for putting coaching like Rory has done.

I reckon he would improve him massively.

Lowry played with DJ and Sergio who both ended plus 6 , cut currrently at +3, if it blows they cud make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

dublin49 wrote: »
    Lowry played with DJ and Sergio who both ended plus 6 , cut currrently at +3, if it blows they cud make it

But they're thoroughbreds and Shane's a pit pony! :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Will Big Shane make the Ryder Cup team?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Well there at even par..I agree with Brad Faxon when he says that Shane's putting is holding him back.

Would be great to see him go to Faxon for putting coaching like Rory has done.

I reckon he would improve him massively.

He said in an interview recently that he started using a putting coach who's originally from Donegal. It's his first time having a putting coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Hes moved to a conventional grip and a very open putting stance. Dont like the look of the open stance myself. He looks uncomfortable

out with poulter ,playing in pairs which will speed things up which I think suits Shane who doesnt hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Grey Fox wrote: »
    Will Big Shane make the Ryder Cup team?!?!

Yes he will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

willabur wrote: »
    Open Question:

Which American golfer is most like Shane in terms of Talent & Success?

The first name that jumped out at me was Jason Dufner. A bit mercurial, inconsistent, eye catching iron play. I think they are both confidence players, capable of competing in any field, and both are nice, down to earth sort of people.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Hope Shane can have a big weekend here and earn the respect he deserves from some on here.

He led a US Open by 4 after 54 holes. Eventually shrugged off that disappointment to win an Open by 6 shots!

You don't do that unless you have real top drawer talent. Hope he shows some of that from again this weekend. Come on Shane!

Shane battling away but nothing much happening for him ,unlike his partner Poulter who is all over the shop.There are some funny cards out there,Justin Rose had 8 birdies .and finished 1 over for the day.+4 overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Birdie free round so far.

You feel he’s moving in right direction and then a round like this to annoy us

Shot of the week into 17 for a tap in birdie.

big_drive wrote: »
    Yes he will
    With a Captains pick from Harro? He's not on track to play his way on to the team.

With a Captains pick from Harro? He's not on track to play his way on to the team.

3 Europeans ahead of him at the moment this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

I got the impression, paddy was looking at Sergio, Poults and Shane as WCs

great finish ,win may be out of reach but top 5 very doable with good round tomorrow,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

he's not a particularly good driver off the ball

112th on tour for FIR, 70th in distance which is not a good combo

he is also not a good scrambler, he is 172nd on tour for scrambles.

46 strokes gained on approach - again not great

you are correct about his putter though

Current best in the field in strokes gained off-the-tee

1. Shane Lowry

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Out with Harrington today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

big_drive wrote: »
    Yes he will

He’ll need to be a wildcard pick if he’s to be in it? I think he’d be a good pick, I think the team work element will suit him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Out with Harrington today

A good round/finish will go a long long way to securing a wildcard pick.

PARlance wrote: »

2 or 3 under would be a great result for Shane and probably top 10 finish.The wind is scheduled to pick up towards the end of his round so they should put the foot down and get in .Hope a few drop for him because he has battled well and deserves a decent finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

dublin49 wrote: »
    2 or 3 under would be a great result for Shane and probably top 10 finish. The wind is scheduled to pick up towards the end of his round so they should put the foot down and get in .Hope a few drop for him because he has battled well and deserves a decent finish.

Some low scores on the course today.
    He should attack everything today.
    Driving it brilliantly well.
    Putting cat malogen.

I think he needs a 68 to fin top10. Maybe even a 67.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    I heard Shane did Padraig a big favour earlier in the year by buying his house in Florida when no one else wanted it, and so Shane will be highly likely to get a Captain's nod come Ryder Cup time.

I heard Shane did Padraig a big favour earlier in the year by buying his house in Florida when no one else wanted it, and so Shane will be highly likely to get a Captain's nod come Ryder Cup time.

Haro won't pick Shane if hes not there or there abouts as would totally undermine him with the other players.He may favour him in a marginal call but thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

At this rate Padraig should be selecting himself as a wild card

Massive 6 and a half footer for Shane coming up at the last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

he's not a particularly good driver off the ball

112th on tour for FIR, 70th in distance which is not a good combo

he is also not a good scrambler, he is 172nd on tour for scrambles.

46 strokes gained on approach - again not great

you are correct about his putter though

Another top 10 finish in a major for the extremely limited Shane Lowry.

• Advertisement

Massive 6 and a half footer for Shane coming up at the last

Opportunity missed unfortunately.

3rd best European at the Players, 4th best at the Masters and top European at the PGA but doesn't deserve to be on team.

Whatever, go on Shane!

fantastic display from Shane .and Haro,cant see them being more than 2 or 3 off the winners score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Opportunity missed unfortunately.

-3 and he'd have been a very interested spectator for the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Amazing day for my two favorite golfers. And it ain't over yet. Incredible stuff from the two lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Never really contended but still a very good week from Lowry.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

There’s some ****e talked on this website, and this thread features strongly, but saying Padraig Harrington will pick his mate because he bought his gaff from him in Florida is up there the most amusing.

If Lowry plays well for the rest of the summer, whether he gets there automatically or gets very close, PH will likely pick him.

If he gets cold rather than hot over the next few months, he just won’t get a pick. Imagine Harrington at the Ryder Cup committee meeting after the event if they lost explaining why he picked him. “Eeeeeehhhhhhh, yeah. So I know Shane hasn’t made a cut since May and was 27th on the points list, but the real estate market is gone to pot in Florida and he paid asking for my gaff in Palm
    beach before Christmas so I promised him a pick.”

Backdoor top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Panrich wrote: »
    -3 and he'd have been a very interested spectator for the next few hours.

The way the field is coming back, a top 3 finish is on the cards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

OEP wrote: »
    Backdoor top 10

Mcilroy does it most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

The way the field is coming back, a top 3 finish is on the cards!

Stamped his Ryder Cup card me thinks

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Mcilroy does it most of the time

I was actually joking. It's the fact the when mcilroy does it its a backdoor top 10 but anyone else, it's a good top 10. Shane did well this week

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Harrington commenting how enjoyable a round it was to play with Lowry, and how he put him at ease. Surely a good sign for a wild card pick if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

That Harrington interview! He bloody loves Shane! Definitely getting a pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great finish and a really big boost to his RC hopes. Just has to hope Padraig doesn’t get on the team instead now :D

Ooof, that putt on the last could've got him second alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Ooof, that putt on the last could've got him second alone![/quote

Or a playoff! Need a big collapse by Phil and a bogey for Oosthuizen for a 6 way playoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Ooof, that putt on the last could've got him second alone!
    Just came on to post the same . Great weekend for Shane all the same

cud be 4 or 5 on minus 2 and it might be joint 2nd

• Advertisement

I think second alone would've out him in the Ryder Cup places.

Either way he's going to right in the cusp after this.

Advertisement