Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Great weekend for Lowry. Can't see how he doesn't make the RC at this point.
    Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aoidondoi

Two Irish golfers T5 in a major, well done Shane and Padraig, both did us proud!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

looks like 425k for Shane and Paddy ,think Shane will be slightly disappointed as he played probably the best golf tee to green but great week for him ,and Paddy as well,

dublin49 wrote: »
    looks like 425k for Shane and Paddy ,think Shane will be slightly disappointed as he played probably the best golf tee to green but great week for him ,and Paddy as well,

I don't think he'll be disappointed at all. Everyone had their fair share of bad holes. Great major championship course and great week for Irish golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

I think they both win $462,250.

Prize money for the top ten is as follows:

1st (Winner): $2,160,000 -- Phil Mickelson
    2nd: $1,296,000
    3rd: $816,000
    4th: $576,000
    5th: $480,000
    6th: $413,000
    7th: $380,000
    8th: $350,000
    9th: $320,000
    10th: $297,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

9 players tied on -1. Finishing on -2 has been worth a lot to the guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Scrabbel wrote: »
    9 players tied on -1. Finishing on -2 has been worth a lot to the guys.

Yeah 16 beat par but only 3 better than 2 under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Shanes game tee to green is in great shape. If he can tidy up his putting a win might not be to far away. In or around top 10 in a lot of big events in recent months without really threatening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I thought it was well written in the past that PH's base was Ireland even when playing on the PGA tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Great result for Shane. A a shot here or there was a bigger difference in points as very bunched field.

He’s back in wild card selection now and another few good performance and he’ll be in team as an automatic selection. Still plenty to play for as Harrington be encouraged by rose return to closet to top also.

No matter who you are you can’t complain if you don’t get a pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Lowry will get a pick for definite. Himself and Harrington have become very, very close over the last 12 months and Harrington regularly stays with Lowry in his house in Florida. Lowry played well over the weekend he’s going in the right direction for an automatic pick but I think he’s a certainty to be on the team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

He’s only one outside the automatic slots now on the world list. A couple more top 10s and 5s may even be enough even without making a big ticket win, but that would clearly help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Motivator wrote:
    Lowry will get a pick for definite. Himself and Harrington have become very, very close over the last 12 months and Harrington regularly stays with Lowry in his house in Florida. Lowry played well over the weekend he’s going in the right direction for an automatic pick but I think he’s a certainty to be on the team anyway.

Being a pal or sharing nationality are not criteria for selection. Harrington will be thinking very deeply about his picks. If Lowry doesn't qualify automatically he will be evaluated the same as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

First Up wrote: »
    Being a pal or sharing nationality are not criteria for selection. Harrington will be thinking very deeply about his picks. If Lowry doesn't qualify automatically he will be evaluated the same as everyone else.
    Yeah. Harrington wants to win this. He'll pick the players he thinks will help him reach that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If he continues his form since the Players he will get in automatically. He still isnt playing great but it is most consistent points scoring since 2019

gypsy79 wrote:
    If he continues his form since the Players he will get in automatically. He still isnt playing great but it is most consistent points scoring since 2019

If he qualifies, no argument. If he doesn't qualify he'll be measured on his own form plus how his game fits with potential partners in fourball and foursomes, his leadership qualities, his response to pressure, his team/bonding qualities and whatever else Harrington thinks important.

He could score well on all of them but they don't include being pals, being Irish or both their dads playing GAA.

gypsy79 wrote: »

Give it a rest will you. He has just finished T4 in a Major on a tough tough course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That T4 was good enough to be Shanes 10th best finish ever in world ranking point terms.

A good weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Exactly wrote: »
    Give it a rest will you. He has just finished T4 in a Major on a tough tough course.

I am speaking about the last two months as a whole. He wasn't on much yesterday so not east to judge. Actually got very little coverage all weekend

Over the last few months it is quite clear there have been very good bits but he is unpredictable as hell. But his points toll is up there. They are the stats.

If he can remove the inconsistencies then he isnt far away. I think lots of guys will look back on this comp as a missed opportunity!!

It won't be missed by Harrington that Kiawah has some similarity with Whistling Straits, the RC venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

There’s some ****e talked on this website, and this thread features strongly, but saying Padraig Harrington will pick his mate because he bought his gaff from him in Florida is up there the most amusing.

If Lowry plays well for the rest of the summer, whether he gets there automatically or gets very close, PH will likely pick him.

If he gets cold rather than hot over the next few months, he just won’t get a pick. Imagine Harrington at the Ryder Cup committee meeting after the event if they lost explaining why he picked him. “Eeeeeehhhhhhh, yeah. So I know Shane hasn’t made a cut since May and was 27th on the points list, but the real estate market is gone to pot in Florida and he paid asking for my gaff in Palm
    beach before Christmas so I promised him a pick.”
    Well it may raise questions of a conflict of interest for Paddy. Imagine you were responsible for hiring someone for a job, and it emerged you had recent financial dealings with that person. It could be a potential banana skin.

Grey Fox wrote: »
    Well it may raise questions of a conflict of interest for Paddy. Imagine you were responsible for hiring someone for a job, and it emerged you had recent financial dealings with that person. It could be a potential banana skin.

If it was something you had been trying to keep secret, then it would definitely raise eyebrows. As it's already in the public arena, I don't see it as being an issue.

His friendship with Lowry is a much bigger issue. I have a feeling that if Shane is in need of a pick and is close to qualifying automatically, Padraig will weigh up his options very carefully and would be quite likely to consult with his vice captains and anyone else he feels is relevant before making a decision in relation to Shane.

I think there would need to be a clear consensus that Shane is a better pick than whoever else is in the frame, but is not getting one of the other 2 wild cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

He’s only one outside the automatic slots now on the world list. A couple more top 10s and 5s may even be enough even without making a big ticket win, but that would clearly help!!

34 world ranking pts behind Perez who he needs to pass at moment. In ranking pts is that a big lead to have to claw back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

abff wrote: »
    If it was something you had been trying to keep secret, then it would definitely raise eyebrows. As it's already in the public arena, I don't see it as being an issue.

His friendship with Lowry is a much bigger issue. I have a feeling that if Shane is in need of a pick and is close to qualifying automatically, Padraig will weigh up his options very carefully and would be quite likely to consult with his vice captains and anyone else he feels is relevant before making a decision in relation to Shane.

I think there would need to be a clear consensus that Shane is a better pick than whoever else is in the frame, but is not getting one of the other 2 wild cards.

harrington is not gonna just pick his mate.

That’s exactly the point I made, and completely at odds to what you said before. To my mind a friendship or a financial transaction (which is a complete and utter irrelevance/red herring) is only likely to make it LESS likely that paddy would pick him, to avoid that accusation, rather than more likely as you were arguing initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

gypsy79 wrote: »

If he can remove the inconsistencies then he isnt far away.

Surely T4 isn't far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Great weekend Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

That’s exactly the point I made, and completely at odds to what you said before. To my mind a friendship or a financial transaction (which is a complete and utter irrelevance/red herring) is only likely to make it LESS likely that paddy would pick him, to avoid that accusation, rather than more likely as you were arguing initially.
    Thats not human nature, we all show favouritism to our mates or people who have benefitted us.

The point made earlier about Shane being the top or close to the top European at the 2 majors so far and the tour championship means if the pick was today I am sure he would get it.things can change but Currently I think he is in the team and bad form over the coming months is the only thing that will stop him playing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Harrington is a clever man, I wonder was there a bit of psychology in yesterday's interview where he was talking about how great it was paying with Lowry. IMO this makes it LESS likely that Lowry will get a captain's pick. Lowry will know this and it could help him push himself to play his way into the automatic places. In which case, everyone wins.

Poker Face wrote: »
    34 world ranking pts behind Perez who he needs to pass at moment. In ranking pts is that a big lead to have to claw back?

Not that big. Double points are being awarded between now and the cut off date.

Shane earned 23 world ranking points for his tied 4th finish yesterday, giving him 46 points in the Ryder Cup World Points table. A couple of top 10s over the coming weeks would probably get him past Perez's current total.

But the likelihood is that Perez will also pick up world ranking points, so the key issue is the extent to which Shane can outperform Perez. And I would be more concerned about those who are currently just below Shane in the rankings, given how poorly Perez has performed since finishing 4th in the WGC matchplay.

Shane is only 22 points ahead of Justin Rose, with MacIntyre, Willett, Garcia, Wiesberger and Wallace next in line behind Rose. I think it's quite likely that at least some of these will be ahead of Perez by the time qualifying finishes.

Grey Fox wrote:
    Thats not human nature, we all show favouritism to our mates or people who have benefitted us.

Not when you have been entrusted with something like the Ryder Cup captaincy you don't.

Harrington would be happy (and relieved) if Lowry qualified in his own right or is playing so well that picking him is beyond argument.

Poker Face wrote: »

He got 23 points for his T4 yesterday which I think is worth double in the Ryder Cup rankings at the moment so it's not that big a gap but then again not all tournaments carry the weight of a major championship. This also helps him as well in that he won't be swallowed up by players behind him unless they bring in big results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Harrington is a clever man, I wonder was there a bit of psychology in yesterday's interview where he was talking about how great it was paying with Lowry. IMO this makes it LESS likely that Lowry will get a captain's pick. Lowry will know this and it could help him push himself to play his way into the automatic places. In which case, everyone wins.

I mean... You're reading into the interview too deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Early doors yet, but as of today, but if it was being picked today, Lowry would be going I think.

Rahm/Fleetwood/Hatton/Rors/Hovland/Casey/Westwood/Matty Fitz and Victor Perez are the automatic selections.

That leaves Lowry, Bobby Mc, Sergio, Rose, Bernd, Willett, Mike Wallace for the top 3.

His experience of the big pressure events, would definitely favour him over at least 4 players there, think Podge would take Rose, Lowry and Sergio.

It can very quickly change, but Lowry's ryder cup hinges on his performance at Torrey/RSG for the next two majors.

• Advertisement

It can very quickly change, but Lowry's ryder cup hinges on his performance at Torrey/RSG for the next two majors.

It isn't just down to him. The team needs RC experience. The more rookies who qualify automatically, the less rookies will be picked.

It isn't just down to him. The team needs RC experience. The more rookies who qualify automatically, the less rookies will be picked.

doesn't always come down to Ryder Cup experience, rookies who are playing well are far more valuable than veterans playing poorly (hi Phil). Normally RC rookies are not major champions. I think he is in a little different category for that reason. The fact that he plays week in week out on the PGA tour is a big plus. Think he makes the flight even if he is rookie 3/4 or even 5.

But again depends on his game in the really big events.

I think they both win $462,250.

Prize money for the top ten is as follows:

1st (Winner): $2,160,000 -- Phil Mickelson
    2nd: $1,296,000
    3rd: $816,000
    4th: $576,000
    5th: $480,000
    6th: $413,000
    7th: $380,000
    8th: $350,000
    9th: $320,000
    10th: $297,000

The six footer on 18 was worth $353,750. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's interesting to read all the talk of will he/won't he with regards Harrington picking him.

It's a bit of an underestimation of Shane himself imo. He knew he needed a big year and he's going about it the right way.

Players 8th
    Masters T23
    USPGA T4

All in the last 10 weeks or so. With the US Open and his defensive of The Open coming up... I don't think he'll be even thinking about relying on a favour from his friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

PARlance wrote: »
    It's interesting to read all the talk of will he/won't he with regards Harrington picking him.

It's a bit of an underestimation of Shane himself imo. He knew he needed a big year and he's going about it the right way.

Players 8th
    Masters T23
    USPGA T4

All in the last 10 weeks or so. With the US Open and his defensive of The Open coming up... I don't think he'll be even thinking about relying on a favour from his friend.

Yeah but you're also forgetting he bought his house his florida and brought the lucozade & dairy milk for the round yesterday so the favour is in the bag anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

BrianD3 wrote: »

Does not compute

doesn't always come down to Ryder Cup experience, rookies who are playing well are far more valuable than veterans playing poorly (hi Phil). Normally RC rookies are not major champions. I think he is in a little different category for that reason. The fact that he plays week in week out on the PGA tour is a big plus. Think he makes the flight even if he is rookie 3/4 or even 5.

It comes down to lots of things but there is limited room for rookies so the fewer the better would be in his interests.

are you sure,he would have been 4th on his own getting 500k+ instead of 400k,am I missing something?

One name not been mentioned for a pick is Poulter,if he comes up at all the clamour for his inclusion will be deafening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

can you imagine the blowback from SKY Sports if he doesn't pick Poulter. Every single time he is on screen they talk about it in some shape or form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

willabur wrote: »
    can you imagine the blowback from SKY Sports if he doesn't pick Poulter. Every single time he is on screen they talk about it in some shape or form

Poulter will be there in one way or another imo. Paddy has still to name another VC doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think Poulter isn’t a mile off warranting a wildcard pick. Had had a really steady year - always seems to makes cuts.

Distance is his issue but Ryder Cup format allows for that.

Wouldn’t say he’s a no brainer pick but I’d like him there ahead of a Wiesberger anyway.

dublin49 wrote: »
    are you sure,he would have been 4th on his own getting 500k+ instead of 400k,am I missing something?

One name not been mentioned for a pick is Poulter,if he comes up at all the clamour for his inclusion will be deafening.

The calculation seems to have been based on finishing 3rd on his own. Simple enough error to make.

I agree with you about Poulter. Will definitely get a pick if he’s showing any type of form coming up to the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The six footer was "only" worth $114 k.
    It would have moved him from T4 to 4th all on his own, giving him the fourth placed cheque all on his own for $576k.

In positions of responsibility it’s often not the case, as deemed ethical and moral obligation may make people negatively discriminate also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Not many of the other wildcard options can boast of being a recent Major winner, this will count for a lot in the final reckoning if Shane needs a pick

• Advertisement
Advertisement