Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

abff wrote: »
    Perez is currently in the last automatic qualifying spot in the Ryder Cup points lists. Shane is one place behind him, therefore would move into an automatic qualifying spot if he passes Perez (and is not passed by someone currently behind him).

There's a lot of water to flow under the bridge between now and the end of Ryder Cup qualification. So getting into the automatic qualification spots at this stage does not mean he would make the team, but it would be better to be inside the qualification spots defending a lead than outside them trying to break in. And I imagine it would be a huge psychological boost.

I must be thinking of Pat Perez who is American? Is there a Perez on the European team? If so I am unaware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    I must be thinking of Pat Perez who is American? Is there a Perez on the European team? If so I am unaware?

Victor Perez, good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rikand wrote: »
    Victor Perez, good player

Is JP still caddying for him?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think so alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That was some comeback from the young lad. Many would have folded after such a start. You look at Paul Dunne, he has fallen off the planet

Reassuring to see a 34 year old being referred to as a young lad :pac:

My claim to fame. I played on the same golf team in secondary school as JP and his younger brother David. Granted I was ****e and they were incredible. Those were the days of the Carmelite College in Moate. It's a long time ago

8.8 points behind Perez now in the latest World Points List. Fitzpatrick not too far ahead of that either.

All within striking distance with double points now on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

Apart from Jon Rahm, I don't think any other European is playing better than Shane at the moment.

Great to see. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yup he has definitely stepped it up recently and would deserve a pick as it stands

But I would still have issues selecting him for foursomes.....he seems have more bogies and birdies for similar scores as others so more suited fourball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Triple bogey for Shane on the 4th hole today. A bad start and if the leaderboard app is correct included a 4 putt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Doesn't do **** ups in small measures, triple bogey 7 on the 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

+1 after 6, didn't let the triple upset him like it might have done in the past.

Is it just me but I find Lowry most uncomfortable on the greens, especially over putts less than 10 feet. That 3 putt from 7 feet on the fourth was inexcusable. Putting by a country mile is his weakest link or achilles heel in an otherwise flawless all round game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

I can't think of a worse short putter in the top 50 in the world. This is the reason he only contends a couple of weeks a year, because he putts like a 10 handicapper from short range

If there was an important three footer in the Ryder Cup for example. You'd pick Sergio Garcia ahead of him all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

I can't think of a worse short putter in the top 50 in the world. This is the reason he only contends a couple of weeks a year, because he putts like a 10 handicapper from short range

If there was an important three footer in the Ryder Cup for example. You'd pick Sergio Garcia ahead of him all day

Would you stop. He contends a lot more than a couple weeks in the year. Rubbish talk

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Top 20 now after shooting a triple bogey is not a bad return

Finished +1. Came back well from the triple but didn't birdie any of the par 5's. That's become a bit of an Achilles heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Panrich wrote: »
    Finished +1. Came back well from the triple but didn't birdie any of the par 5's. That's become a bit of an Achilles heel.

I am hoping above works as a positive for him as shooting + 1 without any par 5 birdies and a 7 thrown in as well means he should feel good about tomorrow if he can stick to bogeys and get some return on the par 5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Panrich wrote: »

The par fives are 655, 677 and 690 yards long, genuine par fives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

not a bad round for 10 Handicapper :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blackcard wrote:
    The par fives are 655, 677 and 690 yards long, genuine par fives
    It doesn't matter what length they are, he's one of the worst scorers on Par fives on the PGA tour over the season.
    As said it's his Achilles heel.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what length they are, he's one of the worst scorers on Par fives on the PGA tour over the season.
    As said it's his Achilles heel.

4.66 average

.2 behind Schauffle who is currently leading the stats.

Exactly wrote:
    4.66 average

You do realise that's nearly a shot per round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Genuine question

What handicap do you think he would have if he was rocking up to your club for weekend comps?

I'd say over the course of a year he might get to +10 range.

Nothing these guys do is comparable to a low - mid handicapper. If it was they wouldn't get a sniff of a tour card never mind be a multiple tournament winner and major champion.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You do realise that's nearly a shot per round?

I stated a fact not an opinion. You are correct though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Exactly wrote: »
    4.66 average

Which puts him outside the top 100 for that stat.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Genuine question

What handicap do you think he would have if he was rocking up to your club for weekend comps?

Nothing these guys do is comparable to a low - mid handicapper. If it was they wouldn't get a sniff of a tour card never mind be a multiple tournament winner and major champion.

Some on here seem to think pros should hole everything from inside 10 feet and never miss a green from 100 yards, but the stats say otherwise.

Saw one on Twitter last week from a golf journo along the lines of PGA tour pros miss the green more often from 125 yards that they hit it inside 10 feet from that range, but if Rory (or to a lesser extent Shane) miss a green from there you’d think they were about to lose their card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Felexicon wrote: »
    Genuine question

The rule of thumb is +5 before you could even consider making a living from the game on a tour. Lowry’s last handicap in Esker Hills was +5.

100% correct on your last point. There’s a reason there’s only 125 golfers with a PGA tour card. They are on a different planet in terms of the game they’re playing. Golf at this level is to be watched and admired and never imitated by those watching on tv. Those guys are spending thousands of hours a year working on a specific part of their game. Off topic slightly but I always get some laugh off guys up in the local clubs taking out a new putter or a wedge and saying “well I saw Lowry was using this and he got on great with it”. As if Lowry stopped off at his local McGuirks and picked up a putter to use on tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shane did well to recover, didn't watch any of it, but heard earlier on the sports news bulletin that he had a triple bogey, I think on the 7th. Take that out and it's an excellent round.

Making the Cut while not a formality by any means is important for him in Ryder Cup terms. With Perez on +4 and Rose on +7 being seen as challengers for automatic and wild card selections another good solid week with them missing the cut would be a big help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

fullstop wrote: »
    Some on here seem to think pros should hole everything from inside 10 feet and never miss a green from 100 yards, but the stats say otherwise.

Saw one on Twitter last week from a golf journo along the lines of PGA tour pros miss the green more often from 125 yards that they hit it inside 10 feet from that range, but if Rory (or to a lesser extent Shane) miss a green from there you’d think they were about to lose their card.

That’s one that always catches me. You follow him on shottracer or the Twitter tracker and so often you see he’s hit a good drive, he has 100-120 from the fairway, surely he’ll stick this dead. And he hits it to 40 feet and you’re disappointed. But I think that’s because you know he’d be disappointed himself, more than it being statistically in line with what he should do.

My feel would be he is a tier 2 driver of the ball. A tier 1 long iron player, a tier 2/3 approach player, a tier 1 scrambler and a tier 2/3 putter, and I’d think I wouldn’t be the only one with that assessment, but at the same time at these lofty heights Shane operates in it’s not that simple.

The 100 yard approach shots with greens reading 11-12 stimp, tiers everywhere, flags usually tucked in awkward corners means sometimes consistently sticking it to 20 feet and holing 1 in 5 is what needs to/has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

big_drive wrote: »
    Would you stop. He contends a lot more than a couple weeks in the year. Rubbish talk

He doesn't. He is very rarely contending( being in a good position to win a tournament with 9 holes to play?) The amazing quality and gift of Shane lowry is that the odd time when he his entire game is working and he is in contention, he usually wins. The only miss I can think of is the USA open when dj won

3 putt from 17 feet ,will be hard to bounce from that on such a hard course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

dublin49 wrote: »
    3 putt from 17 feet ,will be hard to bounce from that on such a hard course

You sure it was a three putt? Looks like he went through the green from the bunker and then left a chip back well short

His famed short game coming a cropper there on the 11th.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

tobsey wrote: »
    You sure it was a three putt? Looks like he went through the green from the bunker and then left a chip back well short

may have read it wrong,format on US OPEN SITE is different to PGA one ,it seems to have the info earlier though

may have read it wrong,format on US OPEN SITE is different to PGA one ,it seems to have the info earlier though

Every shot is on the app.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is he putting with an open stance? Looked like it on bogey putt on 11. Don’t like to see players with open stance like that on a putt. Might have been the camera angle

Another bogey and not challenging hole. Don’t like this open stance

He will be better for that double bogey. Now he is focused on each hole rather than a score. Earlier to happen the better

Amazing how the slumbering brain focuses on how to birdie every hole. But then with a good kick up the arse, the slumbering brain is replaced by the realistic brain. Not giving up on Shane's chances yet

• Advertisement

hes in a battle now to make the cut,the thing about these tough courses is once you make the cut you can make up huge ground with one low round. I suspect the cut will be circa +4 or 5 so will need to par from here.

Struggling manfully with 3 birdies in the last 4 holes but yet another 3 putt from 17 feet in there as well. If he misses the cut, he'll be very annoyed with himself.

He will be better for that double bogey. Now he is focused on each hole rather than a score. Earlier to happen the better

Don’t think the top pros have the same mindset as the Sunday morning 10 handicapper...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

All over the shop off the tee, hit one fairway all day. Hopefully he finds a few on way in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Level par for his last nine.

Gets into the weekend on the cut at +4, 9 brhind the leaders. A gritty performance to stick around for the weekend.

fair play ,he is definitely getting more comfortable at surviving when game isnt there as he has come out the right side of the cut a good bit this year.A decent round today and he could shoot up the ranking although not driving well at the US Open is a recipe for disaster so obviously needs to improve there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

fair play ,he is definitely getting more comfortable at surviving when game isnt there as he has come out the right side of the cut a good bit this year.A decent round today and he could shoot up the ranking although not driving well at the US Open is a recipe for disaster so obviously needs to improve there.

Yes, he seems to be mentally stronger in recent weeks and has been grinding out scores when his game has not been quite 100%. A decent move up the leaderboard over the weekend would bring him into the automatic qualification spots for the Ryder Cup (unless Richard Bland wins or finishes solo second) and would be a huge psychological boost.

Again the par fives are the issue. Basically between three and five shots worse than most of the top six in the tournament, he's +2 for them this week.
    He really has to work on improving on the par fives.

maybe silly question ,is Lowry only trying to overtake the guy infront of him on the world list and doesnt matter what movement happens on European list ,Haro must be worried at Rose +13 for 2 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shane is in the feature group on the U.S open app for those that want to suffer every shot :)

Advertisement