Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

dublin49 wrote: »
    maybe silly question ,is Lowry only trying to overtake the guy infront of him on the world list and doesnt matter what movement happens on European list ,Haro must be worried at Rose +13 for 2 rounds.

Not a silly question at all. Both lists matter, but Lowry is currently a lot closer to getting into an automatic qualifying spot on the World Points list than he is on the European Points list. But someone could hop from one list to the other, distorting who needs to do what in order to make either list.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Shane is in the feature group on the U.S open app for those that want to suffer every shot :)

And he just sank a great putt on 8 to get back to level par for the round and has a makeable birdie putt coming up at the par 5 9th.

And it’s in! Back to 3 over for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Back to back birds. 1 under for the front 9

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

just missed a very short put on the 16th back to 4 over

• Advertisement

Shocking miss from around 2 feet on 16. Back to level par for the day, +4 overall.

abff wrote: »
    Shocking miss from around 2 feet on 16. Back to level par for the day, +4 overall.

4ft 7 according to the tracker...

Exactly wrote: »
    4ft 7 according to the tracker...

No way was that 4ft 7. And a 6 on the 18th to put a tin cap on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Himself and his playing partner both looked pretty disinterested I watched most of his round they both were chatting away and the caddies were having a good old natter too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

No way was that 4ft 7. And a 6 on the 18th to put a tin cap on it!

+2 for 3 attempts at 18 is losing about 3-4 shots to the field.

He hit more greens in regulation than the Bland in the first two rounds despite his driving being a little wayward. He is ranked first for strokes gained with his approaches though. Off the tee and putting has been his biggest weaknesses this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shane's body language was poor today. Hopefully getting home for the Irish Open and then on to Royal St. Georges will give him momentum.
    I mentioned this in a post recently, would he benefit from a change of caddie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shane's body language was poor today. Hopefully getting home for the Irish Open and then on to Royal St. Georges will give him momentum.
    I mentioned this in a post recently, would he benefit from a change of caddie ?

He did benefit from a change of caddy :D

He did benefit from a change of caddy :D

He did,two years ago. I just feel it's gone a bit stale now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He did,two years ago. I just feel it's gone a bit stale now.

Top 10 in 3 of his last 4 events including top 5 in a major? Hardly stale tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Top 10 in 3 of his last 4 events including top 5 in a major? Hardly stale tbf.

Sure don't you know if he is not competing in every competition it is stale, he is only playing against a bunch of amateurs 😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

A hungover 10 handicapper playing in his monthly weekend Medal competition would not have missed a 15 inch putt like that!

Very poor round from Shane today. 6 over after 16 holes with not a single birdie. Down to tied 62nd overall and only going to pick up the minimum 1.5 world ranking points he was guaranteed for making the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Very poor round from Shane today. 6 over after 16 holes with not a single birdie. Down to tied 62nd overall and only going to pick up the minimum 1.5 world ranking points he was guaranteed for making the cut.

Only thing he should be thankful is Perez is playing rubbish. I did wonder if scraping through the cut in us open is any benefit for your game as if not playing well you can hit some high scores and do your confidence no good.

After this very poor week he will be coming home. He is a self confessed home bird, so seeing his family here, and playing in Mount Juliet could be a big positive for him and then after that The Open in Royal St. Georges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

wouldnt be stepping in front of Shane with a microphone after that 7 on 18,might be anatomically dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

dublin49 wrote: »
    wouldnt be stepping in front of Shane with a microphone after that 7 on 18,might be anatomically dangerous.

Only himself to blame so he shouldn't be angry with anyone else. He looked half-arsed for the last two days.

Panrich wrote: »
    Only himself to blame so he shouldn't be angry with anyone else. He looked half-arsed for the last two days.

Nah, sometimes the course just wins,look at Rose +13 for 2 rounds,I would imagine Shane took one or two too many body blows and that was him done.Some big numbers being posted by good players and for Shane to be competitive he needs to drive it reasonably well and have a good week with the putter and that didnt happen.

The 7 at the 18th makes no difference to his world ranking points and minimal difference to his FedEx Cup Points and Prize Money. No idea what happened to home over the last 22 holes. He left a putt in the jaws at the 15th yesterday when 1 under for the day, then missed a tiddler at the 16th and found water at the 18th.

That seems to have knocked the stuffing out of him and he looked totally out of sorts today. Hopefully, the return to these parts for a few weeks will allow him to reground himself.

Nice closing round of 66 by Shane today. Currently tied 12th, but will no doubt fall back during the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Who knows, some wicked weather about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

heavyballs wrote: »
    more chance of Ronan Rafferty coming back and winning a major imo,i said it at the time here that he was too hasty to turn pro and i beleive this has been proved.It took him 3 or 4 months before he started to do any proper physical training and it was stated in the media(could well be bs)that he was doing very little practice compared to the other pro's.
    He'll be running a pro shop in 5 years imo

Lol. This post is from 12 years ago but it made me laugh so had to quote it :D

Nice closing round of 66 by Shane today. Currently tied 12th, but will no doubt fall back during the day.

His first bogey free round in a long time. Hopefully an good omen for The Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

He's going well. A shoe in for the Ryder Cup now!!!

few early birdies tomorrow and get in or close to the mix and you never know ,would take top 3 for him now though

• Advertisement

Nice birdie by Shane on the 6th after starting with 5 pars. He is in one of the featured groups on open.com, so you can watch every shot live. And a nice drive on the par 5 7th.

Finished with a 69 that could have been so much better if a few close calls had dropped. Should move him into the automatic qualifying spots for the Ryder Cup.

watched most of Shanes shots and he played pretty well,drew an almost unplayable in the bunker on 10 and had to hit it backwards in the sand and made incredible bogey from there.With a bit of luck could have finished a few better but was never winning today the way the scoring is going..He was certainly getting his putts close and was very unlucky with a few,Casey was the same as nothing dropped for him,might be partners in Ryder cup as seemed to get on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Good show again from Shane. Surprisingly he couldn't birdie the easiest hole the par 5 14th (one of two players in top 32 to miss out ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Any idea if that finish gets him into the automatic Ryder cup spots?

As mentioned above, yes. Maybe my choice of words could have been less ambiguous - i should have said will move him into the automatic qualifying spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A very solid defense of his title

I thought when he went to 7 under that he would finish in the top 5, still tied for 12th is a very good finish.

Updated table has been published and Lowry is currently in the final automatic qualifying spot - 19 points ahead of Perez and 34 points ahead of MacIntyre. Better to be on the inside looking out rather than on the outside looking in, but relatively small margin bearing in mind double weighting now applying to all points earned.

will Perez and MacIntyre qualify for the playoffs,dont see them in Fedex rankings.

Neither of them is a member of the US tour, so they won’t be eligible for the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Really consistent major form

21st masters

4th Pga championship

12th Open championship

The bones of 600k in prize money too from the majors this year, handy stuff

I think that's great stuff from Lowry , previously there was question marks about consistency. At least now even on weeks where he's not realistically going to win he's grinding out a decent result.

I can see him winning very shortly

A win in the Olympics would do nicely. Although it wouldn’t earn him any Ryder Cup points.

Regarding Ryder Cup qualification, I think the main threat to his place among the automatic qualifiers will come through the European Points table. There are a number of players, including Wiesberger, Perez, MacIntyre and Migliozzi who aren’t that far behind Fitzpatrick in 4th and Hatton in 3rd.

If either of them drops out of the European points top 4, they will then get a place through the World points list, where they are currently significantly ahead of Shane. So he needs to keep playing well if he is going to retain his place in the automatic qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Has to be a shoe in for the ryder cup team at this stage, even if he narrowly misses out on merit id be shocked if he wasnt a captains pick.

If he needs a pick, it will put Padraig in a very awkward position. I think he would only get the nod if there weren’t three other strong candidates in need of a pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Out of interest how does Rory McIlroy qualify as Irish. Great to see both Rory and Shane doing well in the Olympics but I am at a loss to understand how Rory qualifies as ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Where is RTE getting these pictures from? They’re going out of their way not to show any coverage of Lowry. Very annoying.

If Lowry needs a pick, he’ll be picked, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

All NI athletes are UK representives at the Olympics. So how did Rory get the choice to be ROI athlete. Simple question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

All NI competitors can choose between Ireland and the British at the Olympics. It's their individual choice. Over 20 NI competitors chose the Ireland team, including McIlroy. Seven competing for the Brits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement