Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You might also ask how Aidan Walsh from Belfast is representing us in boxing. Or Wayne McCullough, Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan (among others) in the past.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When your base point is 100% incorrect, everything that comes after makes you look silly

Also wondering how Rory McIlroy has switched to playing soccer (for ROI). 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Clearly trolling here, but why not ask Rory questions in the Rory thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Decent 2nd rounds from both Shane and Rory. Both in contention.

Great work from the lads. Would love to seem them both on the podium. The two are great pals as well. Often practice together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Assuming that’s a genuine question and not an attempted troll, your basic premise is wrong.

A number of boxers from NI have chosen to represent Ireland in the Olympics. I can think of at least two, Jim McCourt and Hugh Russell, who have won Olympic medals for Ireland. And Ciara Mageean, who is representing Ireland in the current Olympics, is from County Down. And I’m sure there are plenty of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Boring

For anyone interested in the actual golf I recommend Eurosport pass. Get live and delayed coverage. Which is also great for the boxing.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/olympics/tokyo-2020-sports.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

My understanding is that it depends on how the sport is governed, as Golf,rugby the combat sports etc are all ran on an Ireland basis you would represent Ireland (not the republic of Ireland).

Now any competitor can declare for any country if they wish to do so but they need to prove that they can compete for that country.

I don’t think that it was a genuine question from the original poster. I suspect he got the attention he wanted and I think those accusing him of trolling were probably right.

There are sports run on an All Ireland basis but even in sports not run on an All Ireland basis you can represent Ireland if you wish if you’re born on the island of Ireland in any of the 32 counties. The GFA ensures anyone born on the island is entitled to an Irish passport if they want it.

Is it a different feed than what RTE are showing which seems to be from an Australian TV company. The commentators seem to be Australian anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

how come there are 4 U.S golfers. Obviously I'm wrong when I thought it was restricted to 2 from each country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Top 15 ranked automatically qualify with a max of 4 per country in that cohort. After that its limited to 2 per country. In the women's tournament both US and South Korea have 4 in it as they have at least 4 ranked in the Top 15 taking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They seem confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

What time is it on tonight and what channel? Probably too late for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's on from 1am, expect the two Irish lads to tee off at around half 2 or 3, although the official tee times haven't been confirmed yet because Round 2 was not completed.

It may be on RTE, BBC, one of the Eurosport channels or on red button if you have access. If not you can stream it on Discovery+, there's a three day free trial I think, although I have paid for one month for £5/€6 to get access to the entire Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Thanks. Yeah, I won't be staying up for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Guys, keep away from Nationality comments please, this is against Golf Forum charter as it's a flaming post and we don't need that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

So they begin Round 3 shortly. How many rounds will they play in total, and is there a cut to make.??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

He has some eyesight. Could identify his golf ball from 30 feet below it while stuck in a tree. Shane wouldn’t be one to bend rules but I thought it was risky as if found out to be wrong could end up getting dq. Get the camera man beside you to zoom in

Big week for Shane and the other Ryder Cup hopefuls this week. A top 5 finish would go a long way towards ensuring automatic qualification.

Decent enough first round for Shane. 3 under par for the last 6 holes to finish 2 under for the round and currently tied 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

It seems the big green shamrock he has on his ball was what was visible. Beyond reasonable doubt that anyone else has that marking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Shane needs to stay ahead of MacIntyre tomorrow as he is probably his main rival now for the 4th world place.

I think MacIntyre’s best chance of making the team is through the European points list. He’s not a member of the PGA Tour, so he won’t be in the playoffs that are starting the week after next. But the fact that most of the top Europeans will be playing in at least one, if not two or more of the playoff events means that there will be weakened fields in the European Tour events those weeks and a win in one of these or even a couple of high finishes would probably be enough to catapult him into the top 4 in the European points list. That in turn would push Shane out of the automatic qualifying places as things stand.

In all likelihood, a couple of the automatic places will still be up for grabs when they go to Wentworth for the BMW PGA Championship, which is the final qualifying event.

true,but MacIntyre is 1000 points behind Rory who he would have to displace on the European list which is unlikely unless he wins the BMW,Wiesberger is more likely to catch Rory on the European list .I think Poulter and Sergio will definitely get a pick the way they are playing currently and imagine the other spot is between Rose and MacIntyre.I think Shane would definitely get a pick today if needed .So it looks like Shane wont be surpassed on the World list unless Rory is pushed off the European list .Unless Poulter wins tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Two decent looks at birdie inside 10 feet for Lowry early doors. Neither taken unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unfortunately it's happening too often in Shane's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just 3 putt for bogey from 14 feet if shot tracker is correct :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Finished tied for 23rd place.

I hope that playing in the Olympics doesn’t derail Shane’s chances of qualifying for the Ryder Cup. There were no Ryder Cup points awarded for the Olympics and he is now, understandably, taking next week off. This means he will fall out of the top 70 in the FedEx Cup rankings and will need a strong performance in the first round of the playoffs to make it through to round two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd say Shane has been told he'll be on the team, guaranteed

I heard the opposite - that Padraig has told him that he needs to play his way into the team as he doesn’t want to be put into the invidious position of being seen to give a wild card pick to his close friend.

I think the only circumstance in which Shane will get a wild card pick is if he misses out very narrowly and is a clear and obvious choice ahead of all but two of the other candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

what 2?

I would imagine Poulter and Sergio are IN.

It will be one other - won't it

Poulter will definitely be a pick,Sergio probable,Rose ,Wiesberger and Mac Intyre for last spot.

It’s possible that both Poulter and Sergio will qualify automatically. But I agree that both are likely to get picks if they don’t. The point I was making is that Padraig has only 3 picks and the only way that Shane will get one of these 3 picks is if there are no more than 2 other candidates with strong credentials for a pick.

Hopefully, it won’t come to that and Shane will qualify automatically. But I think there is no way that he has been told at this stage that he is guaranteed a place on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

i cant see Rose getting a pick ( at this stage) lots can happen in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think Rose has a huge chance of getting a pick and I'm sure he'll be slightly miffed if he doesn't. He's a major winner and former world number 1. While he's not playing his best currently, he's not exactly hacking it around either, with top 10s in two of the four majors this year.

He has a great Ryder Cup record and generally considered a positive influence. I reckon Paddy would love Shane to get the last spot and then he can pick Poults, Sergio and JR. Unless, he's planning the ultimate slap-down for Sergio after years of bridge-building 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's going to be squeaky bum time over the next few weeks. Perez finished top 15 today so he'll get some points. Rose showing some form finally so the pressure for wildcard picks to go to Garcia, Poulter and Rose.

Lowry really needs to pick up some points. Next week is huge. Needs a good week and to go to the BMW. Looks like he'll be around 66 or so going into next week. If he makes it to East Lake he should be fine for ranking points I would think.

I don’t think Perez is going to be a factor. The 2.115 points he picked up yesterday are the first world ranking points he’s earned since the World Matchplay back in March. This translates to 4.23 points in the Ryder Cup World Points list and leaves him 23.29 points behind Shane. Having said that, the fields for the upcoming European Tour events are not that strong and a win by Perez or Wiesberger would put the cat among the pigeons.

Justin Rose missed a short par putt on the 18th yesterday and this cost him a place in the playoffs, finishing just one place outside the top 125. This is going to make it difficult for him to earn enough points to qualify automatically, although I guess he could enter some of the upcoming European Tour events if he wants to make the team badly enough. And the final ranking event has a lot of World Ranking points at stake (64 for the winner), so a win there would certainly be enough to qualify any of the players currently on the fringes on the team.

The key issue is that Shane won’t make the team (as a pick or otherwise) unless he plays well and picks up a decent number of points over the next four weeks. Doing well enough next week to make the top 70 is very important as otherwise he is likely to end up needing a high finish in the BMW PGA Championship.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Uibh fhaile abu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

fair play to him on Sunday, stopped and chatted to loads of kids and parents after the match. No problem getting pics etc. either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well they snubbed Luke Donald a few years back and picked someone way lower in the rankings.

Let's all hope Shane qualifies, by definition if he's playing good enough he should qualify and P should pretty much go with the next 3 in qualification table.

When (Monty or Faldo) didn't pick Clarke a few RC back the US thought it was an unbelievable decision (which it was) and gave them a huge boost.

• Advertisement

Rose's decent performance at the weekend certainly wont have helped Shane if he needs a pick.Would it be correct to say currently the biggest danger to Shane is Hovland getting knocked off European list and replacing Shane on the World list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hovland isnt on the European Points list. He's currnetly outside the top 10 on the european list, so he has no effect on Lowry at all. He's 3rd on the World List and unlikely to lose his position from that list.

The world list is pretty much in his own hands. Have a good week at the Northern Trust this week where the ranking points are very decent and he'll be more or less home and hosed. 5 of the 7 people that are behind him on the world points list are not eligible to play at the Northern Trust (Perez, Mcintyre, Migliozzi, Wiesberger, Rose) and the other two are Poulter and Garcia who are guaranteed picks anyway.

Therefore, those 5 should they want to qualify automatically will have to rely on the European Tour for the next 3 weeks where the world ranking points are much lower and really only a top 3 make any significant movement

As regards the european points list, Wiesberger, McIntyre, Migliozzi and Perez are the biggest threats, but they basically need to win one of the next tournaments to overtake Rory on the european points list and neither of the 4 are playing in the D+D Czech masters which is on this week.

A good week this week more or less seals the deal for Lowry

Post edited by Rikand on

Rose finished outside the Top 125 in the Fedex Rankings. That tells you all you need to know about his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Lip Out

Agree. His recent form has been poor and I would hate to see him get a pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think Shane will qualify comfortably on merit. If he somehow doesn't qualify it would be very hard to justify him getting a pick, as Ryder Cup experience and matchplay pedigree usually win the day.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement