Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

First hole at the Northern Trust for Lowry today. Double bogey including a missed 4 and a half footer. 3rd hole, 3 putting from 30 feet including a missed putt from slightly less than 4 ft. Lowry will be a liability if he makes the Europe Ryder cup team. Short putting will be a car crash for the pride of Offaly. And knowing the Yankee fans, they will let him know and give him plenty of stick that will unsettle Shane. Sorry if I’m being harsh but that’s the way I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭badabing106

Yeah Lowry is one of the worst putters on the PGA Tour according to the stats, hence why he not in as many contending positions as often as he should be , no matter how well he is playing with the rest of his game. When he is playing well and has a good putting week, he is hard to beat. He is 190th out of 206 PGA tour professionals for 3 putt avoidance in 2021. I reckon Shane will be a great asset to Ryder cup though, he relishes being in the heat of battle and has the temperment to thrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shane is not playing well enough to be on the Ryder Cup team. When is he going to do something about his putting, awful again today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dublin49

battled back to level par,think he will go better tomorrow,double on the first would rattle most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

He needs a good day tomorrow and over the weekend. Projected standings have him dropping 5 places to 71st. Will miss the BMW qualification based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Shane will make the team no matter what. He'd prefer to make it auto but I think he is a cert for a pick. He'll probably play fourball's

I was wondering his start yesterday was he regretting his journey back from a golfing prep perspective.

Mission 1 is to make the cut.

If he makes it next week he will lose his points for open win would be 6.5 after next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Ten foot putt on his first hole today for a birdie, hopefully get a bit of momentum going.

28 foot putt for a birdie on his second hole

The Ryder Cup standings say otherwise but don't let that get in the way of your ongoing narrative towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Putter is hot today so far anyway, 3 under through 5, having made putts of 10, 28, and 7 foot for birdie and an 8 footer for par for good measure.

Can't understand why Shane has so many detractors on an Irish discussion board, but hey ho, each to their own.

Who knows, maybe he can win the FedEx Cup?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That's a collection of putts that could make him feel invisible on the greens today. Hopefully a mid 60s round is on the cards.

• Advertisement

Great turnaround today so far, hope he can build consistency from this.

Serious brainfart on the par 5 if shot tracker is to be believed

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Second easiest hole too.

Seems to have been two bad shots with his second and third.... Anyone watching what happened?

Birdie on 17 to bring him back to 4 under. Much better today and great to see 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

A few good putts holed today and a couple of short ones missed. First objective of making the cut has been achieved. Top 30 will probably be good enough to get him through to next week, but it would be nice to see him push on and get a top ten finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

MacIntyre is playing the korn ferry this week so his priority is getting a PGA card. Second highest ranked player in the field but points are less than Czech masters, 1 shot outside the predicted cut with 3 holes left.

May need a big BMW when he returns which would be playing 9 weeks out of 10 if he plays the 3 Korn Ferry events.

Am I correct in saying the danger to Lowry now is not on the world list ,its Rory getting bumped off the European list and replacing Lowry on the World list,in which case anything he does now is academic short of over taking Westwood on the World list which is unlikely given the points difference between them.

Eagle for Shane, -4 on his round through 7. Some really low scores out there today, be great if he was one of them.

Wonderful round so far today -5 after 8. Keep it going Shane 🔥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Incredible round, 9 under for the day and -13 in the clubhouse!

Can we all just quit with this nonsense that he might not be worthy of a Ryder Cup pick, if by some quirk he doesn't qualify automatically please?

Wow, a round of 62. Well done Shane🔥👏👏👏.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

-9 for the round and T2 at the minute, brilliant play. Last round pushed out until Monday.

What a third round by Lowry, a nine under 62 to propel him to 13 under, currently a tied for second, just two shots off the lead!! We can now safely say that Shane will be part of Padraig Harrington’s Europe Ryder Cup team next month in Whistling Straits.

No play tomorrow in the Northern Trust due to Hurricane Henri so it will be a Monday finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah there ain't 3 players more deserving of a pick if it gets to that stage. At least with the good form it's less of a headache for Harrington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Pity about his start of the week but who knows what could have happened if he started pars

• Advertisement

I really thought Shane should play last week .what do I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Ugh it's not nonsense. Have you seen his matchplay record? What would be the point in having picks if people are just going to call it nonsense if the picks are not numbers 10, 11 & 12 in the rankings?

He is going to qualify anyway and deservedly so.

With a decent finish he could jump Fitzpatrick in the list tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

He needs to finish no worse than in a three way tie for second in order to pass Fitzpatrick in the list this week. If he’s going to pass anyone in the list this week, it’s more likely to be Westwood than Fitzpatrick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The "recent" form will bode him well also (should he rely on a pick)

• Advertisement

Not doing much for his tour championship hopes today.

needs to make a few pars,bleeding shots at the oment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I hope the americans werent watching Shane too closely out there today because if they were and he's playing in the ryder cup, they will not give him a single putt on the greens.

Just what happens a lot with pros after shooting a low one they find it hard to go low again the next day.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He'd took a nice jump into top 50 in the FedEx as well.

Needs to jump 17 places to get to top 30 for the season ender in atlanta, which isn't beyond him by any means

one bad hole killed his momentum,bunker to water ,could easily have been 4 or 5 shots better but I suppose most out there could make that case.

It seemed to be playing a lot tougher in general yesterday. You could see the sand wasn't the same with all the rain, even Finau duffed a greenside bunker shot. Pins were all on the highest point of the greens in case more rain came and the place had to be wet everywhere. Will be tough to get into the Top 30 but he will pick up more ranking points at least and has passed out Fleetwood on the world points list, although Fleetwood is still qualified on the European points list.

He's now 40 points clear of Perez who is his nearest challenger.

anyone know how many european points on offer this week in Omega event ,Wiesberger most likely to replace Shane on Automatic list.

It's full allocation of tournament points is 2,750 which is the same full allocation the last time Wiesberger won at Denmark where he picked up 460 points. So with double points that would be enough for him to push Rory out and then by extension Lowry out of the World List.

Bigger threats come in the following weeks with 4,250 available in Italy and then 8,000 at the BMW at Wentworth.

It's ridiculous to be honest. Lowry consistently playing at a higher level but there seems to be more relative reward on the European Tour considering the fields are not even in the same ball park quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It can't be considered ridiculous though - This is that exact argument that is important, that European Tour needs to have reward to people playing it. If there's no real reward people won't play and therefore it dies.

• Advertisement

thats fair although I dont think any player holds back from joining the PGA tour so he can play Ryder cup,they do stay aligned so they can play in the match and the European Tour bend to breaking point to facilitate their qualification.Most top European players play a few ROLEX ,their national event and thats it.The glamour and marketing value the top players bring to the European tour is invaluable and without them it would surely wither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Shane playing solidly again, threatening to catch fire like he has most of the season.

He'll have to play well for for four straight rounds this week as he roughly needs a top 5 at minimum to progress to East Lake.

Wiesberger only 3 off the lead in Switzerland. If he wins he'll push Lowry out of the qualifying spots by vertue of leapfrogging McIlroy on the European points list who will then take a place on the world's point list at Lowry's expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I guess next time we will see him is Wentworth

The leaders, De Chambeau in particular blowing this course apart. Shane and other big names below him on the Leaderboard struggling. Strange.

Top 70 players in USA playing. Shane’s a solid top 50 player in world but he’s a step or 2 behind big names. Streaky but not consistency

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

“Streaky” nails Shane, nothing wrong with that

Wiesberger only 1 off the lead. 😬

More an issue for others than Shane, guaranteed a wild card even if he did get passed for last spot.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be 100% sure. I would agree that in my opinion I think he has done enough but with Garcia and Poulter locked as picks, that leaves 1 more. The clamour is for Rose and even Stenson (who is hitting a bit of form at the moment). What happens at Wentworth could have a big say. For instance if Shane loses his qualifying spot and Rose or Stenson wins at Wentworth, then what happens? I'd be nervous for him over the next few weeks.

The other way in for him would be for McIlroy to do him a favour and have a strong finish at Wentworth to overtake Wiesberger (in this example who has leapfrogged McIlroy), which would put Shane back in. Obviously a win for Shane would lock it up too.

Advertisement