Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I care about Shane doing well, for him and for our nation. I couldn't care less about the Ryder Cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think Casey can possibly do Paddy a favour at Wentworth and keep Shane in the team. Think Shane has big chance of winning at Wentworth himself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Shane is in the team no matter if he needs a pick I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I give you a solid 3/10 for that effort Eagle Eye. Definite room for improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dublin49

Well Fitzpatrick too, if either of them keeps Wiesenberger out of the European points list top 4, Shane stays in on the World list

What are you suggesting? I'm being serious. Big fan of Shane, obviously because I've played that hilly fecking course many times. I'm sure you have too.

I hate the Ryder Cup and I've explained why. A group of pals representing two continents suddenly don't like each other. I'm sorry you aren't fooling me.

As I said, it was different years ago when the majority of European players played on the European tour and lived in Europe. Now most live in the US and are great friends with many of the top American golfers. How can you suddenly want to be a European? And what even is a European, there's no identity to Europe, you've got the EU and then some countries who maintain their independence but are part of the free trade agreement. You've got a few who aren't even involved with the EU and multiple different languages.

On top of all that I'd much rather see Brooks Koepka win unless he's playing against Shane or Rory. I can't stand Poulter, Hatton or Westwood and I'm not a huge fan of Sergio either. I couldn't shout for them.

Fitzpatrick is down to play this week in Italy also so he has a chance to put some speed on his points here

• Advertisement

That's good news, you'd expect Matt to outperform Bernd over the two weeks, not certain by any means, but a good chance

If you like Shane, you'd hope he makes the team, because it's pretty important to him

Poor bernd, if he knew everything we were saying about him, he would be devestated.

And how will we feel if he does make the team and goes 5-0

You should read what they're saying about Shane on the Austrian forums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

i don’t know why you’re so worked up about the Ryder Cup. Nobody is forcing you to watch it.

And as for your suggestion that it’s meaningless and that it means nothing to the players who are involved, you’ve obviously never been to a Ryder Cup. Yes, it matters to them. The fact that they are playing against people they consider friends adds to the occasion rather than subtracting from it.

Or are you suggesting that if you are playing against someone you only care about winning if it’s someone that you dislike?

Post edited by abff on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's a nonsense argument it's like saying just because Messi lives and plays football in Europe he wouldn't be interested in winning the world Cup for his country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Congrats to @ShaneLowryGolf and @wendyirishonner on the arrival of their second child, Ivy.

I think that explains why Shane is not playing in Italy this week. I wonder what he would have done if he had qualified for the Tour Championship.

I'd imagine the baby was going to be born this week or the week after Wentworth if he had qualified for the Tour Championship.

And how exactly was Shane going to influence when the baby arrived?

• Advertisement

Well, twice he used the word imagine so I'd imagine he's not speaking factually

Now you have me totally confused! What exactly did Shane say and when did he say it?

No I don't know it for a fact but you see it a lot with sports people and golfers where a baby tends to be born when they just happen to be on a week off. Maybe it was pure coincidence he got back home on Monday and she went into labour a couple of days later in plenty of time before he had to head off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

What kind of finishes does Wiesberger need to overtake Rory in the next two weeks? Are we talking a top 10 or is it just two made cuts?

a top 10 this week would do him to Knock rory out but he himself could still be knocked out again next week in Wentworth if he did get in.

2 made cuts will not be enough. He would need 2 top 20s or 30s to overtake rory but he'd be left wide open to being overtaken himself by paul casey or someone if they come back for wentworth

How is playing for your country the same thing as playing for a continent?

I said if I did watch it I'd shout for Shane and Rory but would find it hard to shout for anybody else. I prefer a lot of US golfers to Europeans. Like how could you want to see Hatton, Westwood or Poulter win?

Would you not rather shout for Thomas, Koepka, Morikawa, DJ and Cantlay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

But why would you chear for them over some British golfers. I think I have said the reason yes. I like Westwood, Poulter can be a pain but good to watch and Hatton I have no opinion on

I also find it strange to have an affiliation for Europe. Most people probably just cheer for Europe if there is an Irish player involved because they want him to be part of a winning team, or the other obvious reason that they don't like the Americans, especially their fans.

There are a lot of great American players at the moment but I would say very few likeable ones. Of course you also have the people who overcompensate on their apathy for Europe by supporting USA which is even more strange.

• Advertisement

Wiesberger only 26th after round 2 .wont overtake Shane I believe if he does not move up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wiesberger had a +1 today, at T37th now

Victor Perez almost made things interesting for Shane, but then he filled his togs on the back 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Still finished with Eagle, he'll have a prayer tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Perez faded away to a tie for 18th and Wiesberger finished in a tie for 46th, so neither made any meaningful progress up the Ryder Cup points tables.

When the final results are in, I’ll try to figure out what each of them would need to do next week in order to dislodge Shane from his qualifying position.

just saying,some players might not want the pressure of Ryder cup,Extroverts like Poulter eat it up but it can be a painful experience ,especiallly for rookies if it goes wrong and always more likely to go badly away from home.I remember Philip Walton seems to be overawed by the whole experience.

From what I remember, Philip scored the point that clinched the Ryder Cup that year. Although, I also remember that he made hard work of it, winning on the 18th after being three up with three to play.

he did but if my memory is correct he did not enjoy the whole experience,Darcy .O Connor and Walton didnt really figure in the foursomes or fourballs and they may not have played till the singles,I remember a guy playing with Faldo ,David Gifford and Faldo never spoke to him and they got hammered ,dont think he played in the doubles again after that, I dont doubt the format will suit Shane's personality but wudnt be surprised if others are not trying as hard as we would imagine to make te team.

• Advertisement

Well you're right about Gilford in 1991. He was beaten twice in fourballs. However, in 1995 David Gilford had a 3-1 record that year. He was probably the standout performer for the Europeans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Ryder_Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

By My reckoning Wiesberger needs 75 points to overtake Rory with the PGA x2 points & the tournament worth roughly double the points as the Italian open I think a top 50 will get him above Rory & into the team & leave Shane needing a pick... Alternatively If Matt Fitz passed out Bernd that would save Shane needing a pick. But he is ~94 point behind Bernd so would need to collect 47 points more which looks like roughly the difference between top 50 & top 20ish...

That said a bit of credit to Bernd - he is making a valid push to get himself onto the team

I has a look at the points tables and came to a similar conclusion. By my reckoning, Wiesberger needs to finish 49th or better to pass Rory in the European Points list, but a top 24 by Fitzpatrick would move him past Rory too, so it's a question of how high up both of them finish in that scenario. A top 4 for Casey would also move him past Rory.

Of course, it's not just Wiesberger who has a chance of breaking into the automatic qualifying spots, but the bar is set a lot higher for everyone else. Taking a worst case scenario for Shane where he misses the cut and doesn't get any help from Fitzpatrick or Casey, there are quite a number of people who could either pass Rory in the European Points list or pass Shane in the World points list.

The players concerned and the positions they would need to finish are set out below. 3-4 means no worse than a two way tie for 3rd.

European Points list

Victor Perez 3-4

Robert MacIntyre/Guido Migliozzi 2-3

Thomas Detry 2

Richard Bland, Danny Willett, Matthias Schwab, Sergio Garcia, Rasmus Hojgaard, Calum Hill, Ian Poulter 1

World Points list

Sergio Garcia 4-5

Victor Perez 3-4

Robert MacIntyre 3

Ian Poulter 2-3

Guido Migliozzi 2

Justin Rose, Alex Noren, Thomas Detry, Danny Willett, Calum Hill, Richard Bland, Rasmus Hojgaard, Henrik Stenson, Matthias Schwab 1

It's not just Shane's place among the automatic qualifiers that is under threat. Lee Westwood is also quite vulnerable if he misses the cut. If that were to happen, Shane would pass him in the World Points list if he finishes no worse than a two way tie for 8th. That, combined with a decent finish by Wiesberger, would leave Westwood relying on a wild card pick.

It's also possible that other players above Lee and Shane in the current rankings could fall out of the automatic qualifying places, but this would require a very unusual combination of results.

Perez and Wiesberger started very badly. Both at +3 so far and Fitzpatrick level thru 11.

Wiesberger finished at -1.

Shane going along alright but like nearly every week this year he is making very amateurish mistakes which cost him big at the end of every tournament.

He made mess of the par 3 fifth for bogey to go back to -1. Needs to cut out those bad errors.

Outrage as Professional Golfer makes Bogey on a 200 yard Par 3.

They do make bogeys and worse you know?

• Advertisement

Of course they make bogeys but what he's doing is making very basic errors. It's been happening all year. He has to get it sorted out, he should have it rectified by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Good par on 17 (after getting lucky to be in bounds after a horror second shot) followed by a birdie on 18 to finish -2. Left a lot out there I feel. Couldn't buy a putt for most of the round. He is prone to brain farts though, typified by his second to 17.

Hopefully he has a good weekend and other things go his way. I feel Wiesberger will pass him into the last spot so he might very well rely on a pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

On another point I've heard the Sky guys comment on Shane needing a top 8. What are the numbers on this? He's way behind on the European points list and would need to pass Westwood out on the world list so a top 8 in isolation (without Wiesberger and Westwood missing the cut or finishing way down the field) surely isn't enough.

Westwood needs to finish outside Top 56 for that scenario to matter.

ps he'll get a pick if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I read something earlier that if Rose wins it outright he will get in automatically? How is that possible? How many points are up for grabs for the winner?

• Advertisement
Advertisement