Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Any time any Irish golfer loses a lead in a tournament, a load of people pile in to say that he bottled it. It’s like they’re lying in wait for the opportunity to pounce.

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, positive or negative, but I really wish some of them would give it a rest from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I suppose the point being made in the post previous to yours is that yes he missed those putts, but when he could no longer win the tournament on the 18th green, he drained that 10-15 footer for par with consumate ease.

My comment was a general one rather than aimed at that specific post. The point made in that post was reasonable and could be considered evidence that he had let the pressure get to him at the previous holes when he still had a chance of winning the tournament.

But it’s not as if there wasn’t any pressure on him to make that final putt. It would have been easy for him to be despondent after what happened over the previous few holes, but he concentrated on making the putt, knowing that a miss would drop him from tied 3rd to tied 9th - a big difference in World Ranking and FedEx Cup points, not to mention a lot of money at stake (probably the lesast important of those three).

And let’s not forget the putt he sank on the final hole of his Ryder Cup doubles match to clinch a point for Europe. He can’t be accused of having bottled that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He’s a real contender now for the Majors that are coming this season, not just a dark horse with a chance of top 10 finish. This is the best spell of his career, big wins will happen if he can keep his composure and get a little bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

You seem to imply that he got the putt on the 18th because 'he concentrated on it'. Did he not 'concentrate' on the previous missed birdie putts ?

Concentration doesn't ensure holing a putt . I concentrate on all of mine where there is little or nothing depending on the outcome ( and my success percentage is, sadly,dismal ).

I assume concentration on putts is pretty much automatic and built-in for pros where there's much more at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The putting is a bit of a red herring, everyone misses 6 and 8 footers and Shane more than most.

His game went to pot for a couple of holes when he hit the front. Hoiked left on 14 (understandable but a poor shot), left a horrible bunker/sandy area shot to a green sloping away down to the water.

The position he was in the tournament, 4 is ok there but you can't make double.

Then couple of flare rights on 15 which is a birdie hole.

Then pulled himself back together to give himself chances coming in.

Personally I'm gutted for him, I'm sure he's pissed today, but hopefully he comes back stronger in the PGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The second on 14 was the big one, anywhere on the green and a two putt bogey was the play but easier said than done. He was giving up the lead by accepting a bogey there but he would have known that he would have another couple of chances.

It was a relatively cluttered leaderboard, I think he would be aggressive again given the same opportunity. At their level, they're probably looking at the putt from the drop as being somewhat makeable.

Absolutely no doubt he bounces back but it'll be added to the list of "ones that got away".

That’s not what I’m suggesting at all. I was merely making the point that it would have been easy for him to become despondent and not take his time over the putt.

I think Spieths shot was probably the right shot, just poorly executed, as he seemed to really pull it.

Cantlay's was a bit bizarre and a bit of a brain freeze imo. The commentators had called it that he was really pushing it with his club selection. Extra club, 10 yards past the hole and he was piling the pressure on Spieth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

His putting didn't beat him. His double bogey did. Chipping into the water did it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Definitely one that got away can't believe he's still not won since 2019.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dublin49

looking at his back 9 yesterday ,he was dodging bullets before the 14th double so wasnt one errant shot,his game got away from him and only got it back on track on 16th which left it late.When leaders came to the turn a graphic came up showing how much more difficult the back 9 was playing than the front so the hard bit was to come as Van Rooyen and Shane who were coasting discovered to their cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭paulos53

It looks as if he is carrying Poulter today. -6 through 13 with Shane getting 5 of the 6 birdies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Good thing too, I doubt Poulter could lift Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

But Poulter certainly picked the outfits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is there anything in the Kimmage interview to make that rag worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Download an app called pocket, gets past pay walls.

Doesn't always work and haven't used it lately but does the job for me often enough.

looks like Shane not playing until USPGA,strange not to play for 3 weeks before Major?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

He’d played 6 of the previous 8 weeks so probably felt he needed the rest. I’m surprised he didn’t take two off and then play the week before but maybe the course the week before doesn’t suit him.

sorry 7 of 9 weeks, he played the team event, the Zurich classic, as well but that doesn’t appear on owgr site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just hitting form too but you can't play week in week out

He was back in Dublin last weekend for a few days for a wedding. Nice to switch off I'm sure after a run of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 firminjo

Do people think he will win another major?

Yes yes yes yes yes..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 40 firminjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very surprised he's not playing at least one of the last three weeks before the PGA.

He's in great form right now but that long without competitive golf can't be a help.

Hopefully it doesn't affect him because on current form I think he is part of a small shortlist that can be considered favourites for the PGA along with Scheffler, Rahm, Smith and McIlroy.

Dug in while it got away from both his playing partners,same again today and then build from there.The range of scoring is gas and if Koepka and Scott can shoot 12 over between them,both Rahm and DJ 3 over, any of the leaders can do the same so level par for now is fine.

He's on the charge 2 under through 5

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If he can finish -2 through 2 rounds that'll put him in a great position. Looks like everyone dropping shots with the strong winds there today

• Advertisement

Commentators saying wind is dying down so Shanes side of the draw drew the short straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Round of 72, should make the cut. Weather certainly didn't help.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

Still probably in with a squeak depending on how the leaders get on today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

After an excellent front nine he three putted for a bogey and made double bogey from the middle of the fairway which killed all of his momentum and he struggled from there with another three putt bogey.

He was on the wrong side of the draw weather wise but he for me he wilted badly in the heat and humidity which again raises issues about his physical fitness.

How did you manage to follow his round? Very little coverage of him yesterday

Aren't the shots of the app? I was able to watch a bit of Mcllroy when driving home.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Very few shots on the app afaik, one per hole for a few of the holes for most players.

Eyes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Sky showed a lot of him once he got to 2 under as he was at that point in the top five of the leader board. As soon as he made bogey and double bogey to go to one over he disappeared from coverage.

Very unfortunate that his lack of gym time kicked in as soon as he got into the top 5.

• Advertisement

decent round yesterday,really one bad bounce on Sat derailed him ,he was on the wrong side of the draw as well so took one sucker punch too many.Battled well I thought and is more resilent than in the past perhaps.

Post edited by dublin49 on

Think Shane would've gone very close from the other side of the draw. JT won from the wrong side, probably more comfortably if he'd been on the other side.

Either way he's holding his form really well this year, looks like he's taking a step up in consistency, quality and all-round comfort levels in his game. Really making hay at the moment, just hope he gets the win his play deserves soon.

Good group again this week with Rahm & Bryson. His status has really gone up in the states recently.

Yeah, he's in the real marquee group which is pretty cool, hopefully he plays well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He'll be first up a good bit, big hitters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Anyone know why the 2-Tee start is from the 9th and 1st holes and not the 10th?

Probably proximity to the clubhouse or the range. The 10th must be out in the country somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

After a mediocre first 8 holes -featuring a miss from 2 1/2 ft- Shane has woken up and banged in 3 birdies on the spin. Now in 6th -though 6 off the lead. High finish in prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Shot tracker has him hitting his second shot 40 yards from the fairway with his second on a par 5. Must have chunked it badly or topped it

• Advertisement

saw that but thought he must have been in the rough ,he has bounced back a few times this week but not sure he can keep doing it,could do with a good day tomorrow as last Sunday was very poor.

Advertisement