Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Some absolute nonsense being spouted here. Started the year 43rd in the world, now 23rd. Before this week he missed one cut this year, at the US Open, and his worst finish in a stroke play event apart from that is T32. He’s 28th in the FedEx cup so has a great chance of getting to East Lake. He had zero interest in playing the weekend here this week and would have been much happier getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Hands down one of the stupidest posts I’ve ever seen on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did he tell you that personally or are you making an assumption?

Points received in playoffs makes a joke of the people who’ve had a good season up till then. A win is worth 4 times a normal event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

So much zero interest that he hired a private plane to get back for rounds three and four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Over 3 years since he's had a win so I'd say he's not overly happy, he's played very well this year but just can't seem to get over the line. Thought the US Open and PGA were made for him so that was disappointing. He seems to give Bo dogs abuse at times so I wonder what the relationship is like there

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He is a self admitted streaky player and "happy" with his wins so far apart as they are big one. You're right, he did play very well for a period earlier in the year, just not good enough to beat the competition. There's no one out there these days that can win with their B game

...and the 3 years cover stupid Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm sure that was a compulsory thing, can't imagine the PGA looks too kindly on players not showing unfortunately 3rd round, I'd imagine the fines would be substantial to prevent this happening.

Some people commenting here seem to conveniently ignore his current relationship with Bo, and the less than friendly words they have had a times this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

good opening 9 by Shane ,finished off with a good bogey on 9 where a double looked more likely ,3 under ,so hopefully he can add 1 or 2 to that for a fast start.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Unfortunately a costly double near the end slowed his charge...

• Advertisement

too many mistakes currently to be a contender,maybe once the Majors are done he mentally switches off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭coillcam

Anyone I've spoken to who knows Shane would tell you it's just his nature. He's a fiery character at the best of times and he doesn't spare it. I'd say Bo has seen a bit more than what's on TV. Nonetheless, it's not nice to see with kids watching. However, go to a football or GAA match for a minute and see what goes on 😁.

Shane would be as stubborn of a lad you could meet, it's that mentality that got him to where he is. When it goes against him though, I think that frustration can boil over. Cantlay/Smith by comparison would be ice cool and reset easier IMO. Regardless of that the lad's short game and approach play are elite. He has few peers in that regard. When his driving is good and putting clicks there are not many who can match. The margins are so slim at the top when it comes to it. On another day Rory could easily have dropped a couple of mid-range putts to defeat Smith at the open.

gets off to good start.hits in water for double,battles back into it and hits it in the water again for double.Like I said above too many mistakes currently to be really competitive.

Lowry and Seamus Power in the same two-ball for the first two rounds of the BMW Championship this week.

It is based on their FED-EX cup rankings & they are #38 & #39 on the rankings - so yes a nice pairing Lowry needs to earn 75 points more than Corey Connors (& pass all the in between guys) to qualify for the finals - Power needs 10 points less.

Minimum anyone wins this week is ~12 points so absolute minimum for them would be a top 30 finish with about 20 other results going their way; but realistically probably both need top20/top15 to qualify

Lowry having a sensational back nine and now just one off the lead on 6 under currently playing the last in round one of the BMW Championship.

A brilliant round just spoiled on the 18th.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

finished on a bogey for -5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Needs a good tournament to make the tour champ

Lowry's yippy tentative putts from short range is just so infuriating to watch. The 18th hole today is another proof of his shocking putting from close range.

amazing on PGA website.Shane one off the lead playing the last and not one clip of his round.even Seamus had one .Anyone know where Shane needs to finish to make cut for Tour championship.I would imagine top 10 and probably top 7/8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

As things stand he needs solo 13th but that will change a lot over the next few days.

If he gets a top 8 then he should be safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

It showed his par putt on 15 and that was all I saw of him.

It is a bit weird right now as there are 13 who started outside the top 30 currently T13 or better (23 players total) so all them are picking up lots of points and passing out a bunch of current top 30 guys - It will probably take until Saturday to get a clear picture. But yes both Shane & Seamus will probably need top 15 I would guess.

• Advertisement

The system is flawed in my opinion. You have Zalatoris who got his first win of the season last weekend go straight above Scheffler who has 4 wins and a major. They both have around the same number of Top 10's as well. So it is heavily in favour of players who have a good run for these 3 weeks.

Hopefully Shane can continue his good play and finish well inside the Top 30 going into next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭coillcam

Yeah, it's purely a TV/entertainment sprint finish as opposed to overall merit IMO. Cantlay was the form player for the last few weeks of last season and pissed home. Great final round against DeChambeau in one of those closing events iirc. Burns and Scheffler had similar runs but they're not at the right part of the calendar. I guess that given the weighting of the playoff events, your strategy has to be of absolutely every opportunity aggressively. Personally, I don't think it's the fairest way to decide the season by weighting the playoffs so heavily. Struggling to think of alternatives though.

Nice to see Zalatoris take his first win. If his putting improves he can become a dominant force but we all say that when someone shows their first run of form. Driving and distance are already up there and his irons are impeccable. Not unlike Thomas in terms of size/build but he absolutely thumps that ball just the same. Cam Smith by comparison is not as strong on the driving, irons are up there but inside wedge distance he seems to be the complete package.

Hopefully, a couple of good weekends coming up for Shane and his compatriots.

It is but it just means that it’ll keep the audience interested.

I think when Singh won it one year it was all over before the last event so it was changed to prevent it from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

I think thats the nature of the beast, they are the playoffs after all and the whole year leads into them. The winner tends to be the form player for the last month and who has had a consistent year to qualify. People will gear the whole year towards these three weeks because they are so important to them.

I do see your point about Scheffler though 4 wins and a major is an outstanding run, but I don't think Zalatoris was too far behind him in most of those comps.....

Kinda off topic for the Lowry thread

par round today leaves Shane outside the top 30,good finish to round today and -3 back 9 gave him a good chance of progressing tomorrow which looked unlikely after poor +3 front 9.Two under might get it done tomorrow as scoring appears tough.

• Advertisement

Shane to me at the moment he just seems to suffer a little when pressure is on. Comes back when the pressure is off. Maybe trying to hard and when relaxes he starts playing well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They had to adjust it because Tiger & Singh had it won without even hitting a ball in the "playoffs" and it was anticlimactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Bogey start. Poor chip after being short after his second coming from a fairway bunker.

Massive back nine for Shane coming up. At stake is a place in next weeks Tour Championship. If he makes it to East Lake, it will be his first visit to the FedEx Cup finale in Atlanta.

Shane currently tied 6th with six holes left in his final round. That as things stand will be enough for a place in East Lake next week. C’mon Shane!!

Great he get into next week but drive you crazy watching him have two mediocre days in the middle

great round leaves Shane right on the mark ,num 30,think he might get bumped by Scott ,probably needs Connors to shoot below him,Squeaky bum time for an hour or two.

As of 9:12 tonight Lowry is projected to be 30th on the FedEx Cup standings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I reckon the two three putts on the back nine are going to cost Shane his place next week. You'd expect either Scott or Pendrith to pick up a shot or two from here. Hopefully not but not looking good at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Yes, the 3 putts were expensive. Particularly at the 17th where he wasn’t that far from the hole. But I’d put his chances of making the top 30 at 50:50 or better. 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Ah, FFS. Scott just eagled the 12th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

At least Adam Scott playing a lot of mediocre shots. Gives Shane a bit of hope. Conners looks safe now.

need Wise to bogey 18

Needs wise to 3 putt from 30 feet.

Very frustrating for us never mind him

And that's it. Unless Adam Scott does something stupid on the last. Extremely expensive 3 putt on 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Bogey on the last for Scott gets him in, no?

Yes, you are right. Just came up on screen.

And it might just happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ballingarry

great up and down from Scott

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Disappointing

Advertisement