Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Just eagled Par4 18th to go joint 4th. Prizemoney for 4th is €111k and worth about 9 world ranking points - I recon that would place him 48th after the weekend:D:D

Thats assuming no-one else moves Beaulieu!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

ssbob wrote: »
    Thats assuming no-one else moves Beaulieu!

Agreed but there seems to be a gap around that level -OWGR would do your head in with all the permutations & combinations.:eek::eek:

One can but dream;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Good to see the Christmas hasn't affected his fitness too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Neeson wrote: »
    Good to see the Christmas hasn't affected his fitness too much.
    Didn't you see any coverage
    He's put on at least a stone and a half.....ffs yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

soundsham wrote: »
    Didn't you see any coverage
    He's put on at least a stone and a half.....ffs yawn

Indeed. However he's still seems able to get around with relative ease though. I did say it hasn't affected him too much but naturally he did give in to some indulgence over the festive period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He tweeted that he had zero expectations for this week after his long lay off, so he's doing much better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

What a cracking tee shot he hit at the last again today. It looked like it was tracking the hole perfectly until it came to rest. A bit more welly and it could have been a 1 !! Eagles the last two days now.

Fast start in 2013 great stuff
    Paddy as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

Good result. Could have been even better except for a bad double bogey at start of back 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Good result. As you say, shame about the double bogey.

By my reckoning, it leaves him unchanged at number 52 in the world rankings.

PH back up to number 48. Let's hope they can chase each other up into the top 25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

was does our Shane need to do to get a masters invite ?

Top 50 by when ?

Is it everyone who is top 50 the week before the masters ?

MungoMan wrote: »
    was does our Shane need to do to get a masters invite ?

Top 50 by when ?

Is it everyone who is top 50 the week before the masters ?

It's everyone who is in the top 50 at the end of the previous calendar year and everyone who is in the top 50 "published during the week prior to" the Masters.

I think this means the Monday that is ten days prior to the tournament starting (as opposed to three days beforehand), which would be 1st April this year. I'm sure there are others out there who will be able to confirm or otherwise.

Interestingly, there is no European Tour event scheduled for the week prior to the Masters, so it would probably be better for Shane if that is the cut off point, unless he can get an invite to the US tournament that's on immediately prior to the Masters.

abff wrote: »
    It's everyone who is in the top 50 at the end of the previous calendar year and everyone who is in the top 50 "published during the week prior to" the Masters.

I think this means the Monday that is ten days prior to the tournament starting (as opposed to three days beforehand), which would be 1st April this year. I'm sure there are others out there who will be able to confirm or otherwise.

Interestingly, there is no European Tour event scheduled for the week prior to the Masters, so it would probably be better for Shane if that is the cut off point, unless he can get an invite to the US tournament that's on immediately prior to the Masters.

I believe that is correct, 01/04/2013 is the cut off. Hoepfully if he has a good WGC Matchplay then that will put him in for definite! If both he and paddy can win their first match at least, there is a lot of ranking points for that!

I believe that is correct, 01/04/2013 is the cut off. Hoepfully if he has a good WGC Matchplay then that will put him in for definite! If both he and paddy can win their first match at least, there is a lot of ranking points for that!

A couple of wins there would certainly help. Last year the points awarded were as follows:

1st round losers: 2.048
    2nd round: 4.421
    Last 16: 8.882
    last 8: 14.82

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

Great start to the year for Shane. Had low expectations himself, judging by his tweets last week, and came away with a top 10, €45,000 and got rid of some of the Christmas rust to get himself in good form going into one of the biggest weeks on the European tour.

When he starts missing more cuts than he makes and is looking like missing out on Dubai at the end of the year or losing his card I'll be willing to listen to arguments about his weight.

While he's fighting for a place in the top 50 and a place in all the majors this year I'd have thought, a message board full of Irish golf fans would be 100% behind him.

Great start to the year for Shane. Had low expectations himself, judging by his tweets last week, and came away with a top 10, €45,000 and got rid of some of the Christmas rust to get himself in good form going into one of the biggest weeks on the European tour.

When he starts missing more cuts than he makes and is looking like missing out on Dubai at the end of the year or losing his card I'll be willing to listen to arguments about his weight.

While he's fighting for a place in the top 50 and a place in all the majors this year I'd have thought, a message board full of Irish golf fans would be 100% behind him.

Couldn't agree with you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good result. As you say, shame about the double bogey.

By my reckoning, it leaves him unchanged at number 52 in the world rankings.

PH back up to number 48. Let's hope they can chase each other up into the top 25.

54 according to the OWGR website.

TRS30 wrote: »
    54 according to the OWGR website.

Yes, the winner of the PGA Tour event in Hawaii picked up enough points to go past him and I had made a slight miscalculation in relation to Richie Ramsey, who is marginally ahead of him in the rankings instead of marginally behind. It's a bit frustrating for Shane to finish top 10 and fall two places in the rankings.

It's partly down to him not having played the maximum 52 tournaments that are used in calculating the rankings. His divisor went up from 50 to 51 last week, while most of those around him had played 52 or more events over the past two years, so there divisor did not change.

The same thing will happen next week, but after that, he will have completed 52 tournaments and his divisor wont go up when he enters a new tournament. This will make it easier for him to improve his average points from one week to the next, particularly as the next four tournaments that will drop out of the reckoning were all worth zero world ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yes, the winner of the PGA Tour event in Hawaii picked up enough points to go past him and I had made a slight miscalculation in relation to Richie Ramsey, who is marginally ahead of him in the rankings instead of marginally behind. It's a bit frustrating for Shane to finish top 10 and fall two places in the rankings.

It's partly down to him not having played the maximum 52 tournaments that are used in calculating the rankings. His divisor went up from 50 to 51 last week, while most of those around him had played 52 or more events over the past two years, so there divisor did not change.

The same thing will happen next week, but after that, he will have completed 52 tournaments and his divisor wont go up when he enters a new tournament. This will make it easier for him to improve his average points from one week to the next, particularly as the next four tournaments that will drop out of the reckoning were all worth zero world ranking points.

How many more times is he due to play before the Master cut off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I guess it depends on what level he see's himself at.

I happen to think that Shane should be aiming a lot higher than top 50.
    If Rory was fighting to get into the top 50 I think you would look at it differently.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what level he see's himself at.

I happen to think that Shane should be aiming a lot higher than top 50.
    If Rory was fighting to get into the top 50 I think you would look at it differently.

Good point.

You can be 100% behind someone and still want them to do even better than they are doing, particularly if you feel they are underachieving and you are able to offer constructive advice.

However, not all the advice being offered on this thread is constructive and I guess that's probably what Rex is getting at (apologies for presuming to interpret your motives Rex - please correct me if I'm wrong).

I think there's a right way and a wrong way to offer constructive advice and I find it disturbing that some people use this thread to take cheap shots at Shane and make stupid jokes or, worse, unsubstantiated allegations.

Having said that, I doubt Shane is reading this thread or even aware of it, so I guess it's just an opportunity for fans and others to shoot the breeze about one of our sporting heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

Good point.

You can be 100% behind someone and still want them to do even better than they are doing, particularly if you feel they are underachieving and you are able to offer constructive advice.

However, not all the advice being offered on this thread is constructive and I guess that's probably what Rex is getting at (apologies for presuming to interpret your motives Rex - please correct me if I'm wrong).

I think there's a right way and a wrong way to offer constructive advice and I find it disturbing that some people use this thread to take cheap shots at Shane and make stupid jokes or, worse, unsubstantiated allegations.

Having said that, I doubt Shane is reading this thread or even aware of it, so I guess it's just an opportunity for fans and others to shoot the breeze about one of our sporting heroes.

No you're right, It's the dig and snide remarks that I'd disagree with. Of course I reckon Lowry could be much higher up the world rankings and I think by the end of this year he will be. But I reckon people who think he should be easily inside the top 50 and if he was lighter that he would be need to look at the quality of golfers ahead if him in the rankings. There is no one in the top 60 or 70 that doesn't reckon they could get into the top 20. All have the same ambitions as Shane in getting as high up the world rankings as possible and all are top quality golfers. Most are on tour a lot longer than Shane. I, along with most others on here, reckon Shane could easily be a regular inside the top 20 in the world and even become a Ryder Cup player (As early as next year if things go his way)...but I think some people are using his weight as the reason why hes not climbing the world rankings higher when the simple reason is that the people he is sharing top 10's and top 20's with in Europe are fighting for their place in the World's top 50 too and so are the people playing in America, where there are often more world ranking points available.

To get into the worlds Top 50 and progress higher is well within Shane's ability. But there are 100's of top quality golfers with the same aim. FOr the length of time he's been on tour, and the set backs he's had (broken arm etc.) I reckon he's well on his way to getting to the level that you all expect. It's just if he misses a cut, his weight is the problem. What's the problem for all the skinny golfers who are top quality but miss cuts from time to time? Sometimes it's just not your week.

It's crazy really, in the 4 years Shane has been on Tour, he has steadily improved as a golfer and also statistically:

RTD finishes since 2008:
    • 2009 - 153rd
    • 2010 - 62nd
    • 2011 - 41st
    • 2012 - 29th
    His stroke average was also half a stroke better last year than the previous 2 years and a full stroke better than his first year on tour. He is definitely improving.

I think by getting his way into the Top 50 and the big events this year, that will rocket him into the reckoning for Ryder Cup and big money titles. It is up to him then to focus on these events and maybe take a step back a little because he played 28 ET events last year which is a lot of travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Unlikely to make the cut this week :( From opening with 2 birdies is now +6 after 17. I think match play cut off date is Feb 11th so should be ok.

Unlikely to make the cut this week :( From opening with 2 birdies is now +6 after 17. I think match play cut off date is Feb 11th so should be ok.

Not sure he's all that safe. After today's results he'll drop at least 4 places - Stenson, Carbrera-Bello, Jaidee and Fraser will all go past him in the rankings and maybe one or two others. Needs at least one other decent finish to be sure of making the matchplay.

Only playing 1 more event (Dubai desert classic) before the match play.

59th in the rankings this morning.

59th in the rankings this morning.

I had a look at the rankings and qualification for the World Matchplay is likely to be touch and go if he doesn't pick up any ranking points in Dubai. His projected average world ranking points in 3 weeks time if he doesn't pick up any more points is 1.949.

On this week's rankings that would place him 66th (actually 67th, but he can't appear twice in the rankings at the same time). As other players' rankings will also change between now and February 11th, it's too close to call whether this would get him into the matchplay. With Jimenez injured and possibly one or two opt outs he might just about make it, but a good finish in Dubai would probably seal the deal.

It would be a shame for him to miss out at this stage, having come so far in recent months.

I had a look at the rankings and qualification for the World Matchplay is likely to be touch and go if he doesn't pick up any ranking points in Dubai. His projected average world ranking points in 3 weeks time if he doesn't pick up any more points is 1.949.

On this week's rankings that would place him 66th (actually 67th, but he can't appear twice in the rankings at the same time). As other players' rankings will also change between now and February 11th, it's too close to call whether this would get him into the matchplay. With Jimenez injured and possibly one or two opt outs he might just about make it, but a good finish in Dubai would probably seal the deal.

It would be a shame for him to miss out at this stage, having come so far in recent months.

Hopefully he gets one of the last 2 spots and gets to beat one of the "Nike lads" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

he'll be on the reserve list at least and if he is 66th, he will get in. At least 4/5 players will get in not in original 64.

he'll be on the reserve list at least and if he is 66th, he will get in. At least 4/5 players will get in not in original 64.

The last 3 years numbers 65 and 66 have got in.

2009 was the only year when all the top 64 played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is there anyone we should be watching in the european tour shake-up who could leapfrog shane this week ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why isn't he playing in the Qatar Masters this week? I'm almost sure I saw his name in the original entry list, can't see anything on his Twitter feed.

Is there anyone we should be watching in the european tour shake-up who could leapfrog shane this week ?

Noren will jump him, i dont know about the PGA tour though.

Noren will jump him, i dont know about the PGA tour though.

In addition to Noren, Marcel Siem will move ahead of Shane in the rankings. If Chris Wood wins today, he'll also move ahead of Lowry.

Jiminez is down to 63rd and will drop out of the top 64 in the next week or two, so that means Shane will need to be top 64 to guarantee a place in the matchplay. There's rarely more than one or two drop outs, so next week is crucial if he wants to make the matchplay.

• Advertisement

There's also a lot of players who could jump ahead of Shane with a strong finish in this week's PGA event. Charles Howell III and John Huh would definitely go past him if they can finish top 10 or thereabouts and there are a number of others for whom a top 3 finish (or in particular a win) would mean a move into the top 60 in the OWGR.

It's only half way, so there are too many permutations and combinations at this stage.

Anyway, a good finish by Shane next week will solve things.

Looking at the current leaderboard, none of the players in the PGATour event are going to pass Shane this week, so it looks like he'll be 62nd in tomorrow's rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Looking at the current leaderboard, none of the players in the PGATour event are going to pass Shane this week, so it looks like he'll be 62nd in tomorrow's rankings.

He's 59th actually.

vienne86 wrote: »
    He's 59th actually.

Rankings are not updated yet AFAIK

vienne86 wrote: »
    He's 59th actually.
    Rankings are not updated yet AFAIK

Yes thats last weeks rankings, this weeks will be a day late due to the Monday finish on the pga.

• Advertisement

Charles Howell III finished tied 9th. It's going to be very close between him and Shane for 62nd in the world rankings.

Charles Howell III finished tied 9th. It's going to be very close between him and Shane for 62nd in the world rankings.

Just barely stayed ahead of him, nothing between Siem,Lowry,Howell III and Wiesberger really from 61st to 64th. Needs a solid week now in Dubai.

Could he be kissing goodbye to his matchplay hopes this morning :(

Looks like he'll need a great round tomorrow to make the cut. Course giving up a huge number of birdies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

as well as getting into the majors.

Maybe he should have played a week or 2 after R2D to get into the top 50 at end of year and takes some pressure off.

if buts and maybes

Sometimes you need to put your life on hold to reach a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Has finished with a 74, plus 2 today - not good.

Trampas wrote: »

Well only the Masters will be closed to him if he doesn't make the top 50.

US open he will have a chance of qualifying even if he doesnt push on his ranking.

He is exempt for this years "Open" and staying in top 100 would get him into the PGA.

Top 50 is no easy feat, i guess its the goal for everyone ranked 51-200.

He wasn't even in the top 150 himself midway through last season.

Consistency is the key i suppose, he often finds a hot 3 or 4 week spell during the season when he cements his race2Dubai place.

Trampas wrote: »

Maybe he should have played a week or 2 after R2D to get into the top 50 at end of year and takes some pressure off.

if buts and maybes

Sometimes you need to put your life on hold to reach a goal
    Maybe he took a while to recover from his illness

The two guys in this week's field who are immediately behind him in the rankings also look in danger of missing the cut, so he still has a chance of staying in the top 64. He'll probably need a few drops outs to get a place in the matchplay, but he's still in with a chance.

Of course, a 65 tomorrow (probably what he needs to make the cut) followed by two other good rounds would solve the problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not a good week for him, just 15 players played worse, missed the cut by 5 strokes

• Advertisement
Advertisement