Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Could be bye bye to the world matchplay, although those immediately behind him in the world rankings haven't been setting the world alight, so he might still scrape in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

abff wrote: »
    Could be bye bye to the world matchplay, although those immediately behind him in the world rankings haven't been setting the world alight, so he might still scrape in.

If Stephen Gallagher wins he will jump into the top 50 so another drop for Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

why didnt he play last week ?
    seems like a really stupid time to take a week off

If Stephen Gallagher wins he will jump into the top 50 so another drop for Shane.

Probably closer to 60 than 50, but still ahead of Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

64th in the world now, 1 or 2 will probably pass him from the PGA next week. Fingers crossed then that a reserve gets called even though with no form at present it's likely to be a one day event for him. Still a game against McIlroy would be interesting!

Ogilvy 69th and De Jonge 71th are the closet dangers really as none of the European guys on the bubble seem to be going to South Africa. Lets hope the top 10 in pebble beach is full of players in the top 64 in the world ;)

Abff - any chance Wiesberger could jump him this week even though both or not playing. Lowry may have more depreciation on his points. Id say Wiesberger has more in the 13 week period which you retain full value.

Abff - any chance Wiesberger could jump him this week even though both or not playing. Lowry may have more depreciation on his points. Id say Wiesberger has more in the 13 week period which you retain full value.

I've had a look at the latest rankings and by my calculations, Lowry will drop 1.710 points next week and Wiesberger will drop 1.592 points. This would leave Lowry with 102.962 points for 52 tournaments and a points average of 1.980 and Wiesberger with 102.481 points for 52 tournaments and a points average of 1.971.

There's some kind of weird rounding thing that goes on, so these figures could be marginally higher or lower, but the rounding difference is highly unlikely to be much as half a point in total, so I think Lowry will definitely stay ahead of Wiesberger if neither of them plays next week.

When the field for this week's tournaments have been finalised, I will have a look at what each player behind Shane in the rankings needs to do in order to pass him.

Probably closer to 60 than 50, but still ahead of Shane.

Getting into the top 50 was the best that Gallagher could do. Was always going to jump Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Up to 2 dozen can pass him this week so you've got to imagine that at least 1/2 of them are going to have a good week, my money would be on Richard Sterne and Brendan De Jonge to catch him. But you never know what might happen!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the story is with the Joburg Open? I was looking at the draw and there seems to be about 420 players listed, all starting from the 1st tee in groups of 6 at ten minute intervals. I presume it's some kind of pro-am, but some of the groups seem to be all professionals?

Does anyone know what the story is with the Joburg Open? I was looking at the draw and there seems to be about 420 players listed, all starting from the 1st tee in groups of 6 at ten minute intervals. I presume it's some kind of pro-am, but some of the groups seem to be all professionals?

Very strange alright :confused:

Looking at the entry list there seems to be about 210 pros rather than the usual 156.

It's being played over 2 courses the first 2 days.

The list is actually duplicated, if you scroll down you will see Wayne Westner leading off at 6.30 twice.

So it looks like it's a one tee start for 3 balls on both courses.

Doesn't look like its a Pro am.

Someone has just made a mess of the teetime sheet on the website.

OK, I've had a look at the field for the Joburg Open. The number of OWGR ranking points ta stage will depend on whether it's considered a full European Tour event or a co-sanctioned event with the Sunshine Tour.

The field is not all that strong and the strength of field ranking would give 18 points for the winner (or possibly 20 if the Sunshine Tour is considered the home your). The minimum points for the winner of a European Tour event is 24, while that for the Sunshine Tour is 14. The average of the two is taken for co-sanctioned events.

If we assume it's a full European Tour event worth 24 points to the winner, then Kristoffer Broberg can pass Lowry if he finishes no worse than a two way tie for 2nd, while Danny Willett or Richard Sterne can pass him with a win. If it's a co-sanctioned event, all three would need a win.

I'll have a look at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am later and see what they would need to do. I expect there will be a lot more candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

OK, I've had a look at the field for the Joburg Open. The number of OWGR ranking points ta stage will depend on whether it's considered a full European Tour event or a co-sanctioned event with the Sunshine Tour.

The field is not all that strong and the strength of field ranking would give 18 points for the winner (or possibly 20 if the Sunshine Tour is considered the home your). The minimum points for the winner of a European Tour event is 24, while that for the Sunshine Tour is 14. The average of the two is taken for co-sanctioned events.

If we assume it's a full European Tour event worth 24 points to the winner, then Kristoffer Broberg can pass Lowry if he finishes solo 2nd or wins, while Danny Willett or Richard Sterne can pass him with a win. If it's a co-sanctioned event, all three would need a win.

I'll have a look at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am later and see what they would need to do. I expect there will be a lot more candidates.

Fair play, I assume the OWGR is a bit of a hobby?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Fair play, I assume the OWGR is a bit of a hobby?

More a challenge than a hobby. I decided to see if I could get behind the rankings and set up a spreadsheet to calculate the points available. I don't do it all the time, but it's interesting to keep an eye on the rankings at certain times - like now for example, when Shane Lowry is so close to making the world matchplay.

My calculations are not always 100% accurate, but they're generally pretty close. For Pebble Beach, I calculate that winning will be worth 40 OWGR points and based on this there are 22 players who would pass Shane in the rankings if they win this week.

The players and their current world rankings are as follows:

69 Geoff Ogilvy 7th
    71 Brendon de Jonge 7th
    73 Fredrik Jacobson 7th
    76 Kevin Na 4th
    83 Aaron Baddeley 3rd
    92 Ryan Palmer 2 way tie for 2nd
    93 Vijay Singh 2nd
    95 Jimmy Walker 2nd
    105 Charlie Wi
    110 Chris Kirk
    113 Luke Guthrie 2nd
    116 Johnson Wagner
    118 Tommy Gainey
    119 Retief Goosen
    120 Kevin Stadler
    122 Josh Teater
    129 Ted Potter-jr
    134 Harris English
    146 Charlie Beljan
    147 Brian Harman
    148 J.B. Holmes
    157 Bob Estes

For those players who could pass Shane even if they don't win, I have shown the estimated finish they would need to move ahead of him in the rankings. Ogilvy, de Jonge and Jacobson would seem to be the main dangers.

I think Shane has a decent chance of making the top 65 and getting into the World matchplay (assuming Phil is not going to play).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

More a challenge than a hobby. I decided to see if I could get behind the rankings and set up a spreadsheet to calculate the points available. I don't do it all the time, but it's interesting to keep an eye on the rankings at certain times - like now for example, when Shane Lowry is so close to making the world matchplay.

My calculations are not always 100% accurate, but they're generally pretty close. For Pebble Beach, I calculate that winning will be worth 40 OWGR points and based on this there are 22 players who would pass Shane in the rankings if they win this week.

69 Geoff Ogilvy 7th
    71 Brendon de Jonge 7th
    73 Fredrik Jacobson 7th
    76 Kevin Na 4th
    83 Aaron Baddeley 3rd
    93 Vijay Singh 2nd
    95 Jimmy Walker 2nd
    105 Charlie Wi
    110 Chris Kirk
    113 Luke Guthrie 2nd
    116 Johnson Wagner
    118 Tommy Gainey
    119 Retief Goosen
    120 Kevin Stadler
    122 Josh Teater
    129 Ted Potter-jr
    134 Harris English
    146 Charlie Beljan
    147 Brian Harman
    148 J.B. Holmes
    157 Bob Estes

For those players who could pass Shane even if they don't win, I have shown the estimated finish they would need to move ahead of him in the rankings. Ogilvy, de Jonge and Jacobson would seem to be the main dangers.

I think Shane has a decent chance of making the top 65 and getting into the World matchplay (assuming Phil is not going to play).

Fantastic information, this will be great to keep an eye out on as the tournament progresses, thanks a mil.

Come on Shane Lowry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

anyone know why Shane isn't playing this week in SA to try and nail his place for m/play?

Does he want to play in it?

Trampas wrote: »
    anyone know why Shane isn't playing this week in SA to try and nail his place for m/play?

Wasn't on his schedule and very poor ranking points on offer. With his poor enough form last couple of events his ranking might hold up better by not playing it.

Wasn't on his schedule and very poor ranking points on offer. With his poor enough form last couple of events his ranking might hold up better by not playing it.

Also a huge field, which increases the danger of not making the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Trampas wrote: »

I heard him on the sports news on the radio yesterday saying he didnt know what players could overtake him in the rankings and he wouldnt be keeping an eye on it. Said he'd be watching the rugby on Sunday and he'd take a look once that was over !!

Maybe someone here could mail him the details above...and put him in the picture :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Arsenium wrote: »
    I heard him on the sports news on the radio yesterday saying he didnt know what players could overtake him in the rankings and he wouldnt be keeping an eye on it. Said he'd be watching the rugby on Sunday and he'd take a look once that was over !!

Maybe someone here could mail him the details above...and put him in the picture :-)

Not the scenario I would expect? unless he was being bit tongue in cheek to avoid a big discussion that was not to his advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

69 Geoff Ogilvy 7th
    71 Brendon de Jonge 7th
    73 Fredrik Jacobson 7th
    76 Kevin Na 4th
    83 Aaron Baddeley 3rd
    93 Vijay Singh 2nd
    95 Jimmy Walker 2nd
    105 Charlie Wi
    110 Chris Kirk
    113 Luke Guthrie 2nd
    116 Johnson Wagner
    118 Tommy Gainey
    119 Retief Goosen
    120 Kevin Stadler
    122 Josh Teater
    129 Ted Potter-jr
    134 Harris English
    146 Charlie Beljan
    147 Brian Harman
    148 J.B. Holmes
    157 Bob Estes

Don't think he'll have to worry too much if Vijay passes him :rolleyes:

Mickelson is not playing the match play so it's at least top 65 now.

Biggest threats to his position currently are Jacobson, Potter jr and Sterne.

Mickelson is not playing the match play so it's at least top 65 now.

Biggest threats to his position currently are Jacobson, Potter jr and Sterne.

Sterne heads the field as they head to the back 9. Depending on ranking points, he will jump Shane.

He will definitely go past Shane in the rankings. I think the event is worth either 20 or 24 world ranking points depending on whether it is considered a full European Tour event or a co-sanctioned event with the Sunshine Tour. In any event, it will be worth at least 18 points based on the strength of field ranking.

Sterne only needed 16 points to move ahead of Shane in the rankings. That moves Shane down to 65th and his hopes of making the World Matchplay are hanging on a thread.

All eyes to the PGA tonight so! Can see at least 1 more passing him. Fingers crossed 66th gets in like last few years.

There are 16 players who made the cut who could (theoretically at least) pass Shane this evening, although some of these need a win and are too far back to be in with a chance of winning.

I have listed these players below showing their current world ranking, current position and what they need to do to finish ahead of Shane in tomorrow's rankings.

WR Name Current Needed
    110 Chris Kirk 3 W
    95 Jimmy Walker 6 2
    119 Retief Goosen 6 W
    73 Fredrik Jacobson 11 7
    120 Kevin Stadler 11 W
    113 Luke Guthrie 11 2
    129 Ted Potter-jr 11 W
    105 Charlie Wi 17 W
    76 Kevin Na 17 4
    83 Aaron Baddeley 27 3
    122 Josh Teater 32 W
    93 Vijay Singh 32 2
    71 Brendon de Jonge 36 7
    147 Brian Harman 36 W
    157 Bob Estes 43 W
    148 J.B. Holmes 56 W

Jacobson doing the business so far. Need a Schedeker win at least. looking like 66th at the moment.

Walker 2nd and Jacobson 3rd currently, that would would be 67th for Lowry :(

Walker 2nd and Jacobson 3rd currently, that would would be 67th for Lowry :(

Walker now tied 2nd, Jacobson tied 7th to 9th. That would leave Lowry in 65th (just barely). I wonder is he watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

I can confirm he's not watching....... Jacobsen looks like being the problem, better than t7 and Shane's down to 66th

• Advertisement

Walker now tied 2nd, Jacobson tied 7th to 9th. That would leave Lowry in 65th (just barely). I wonder is he watching?

Watching this thread or the golf :D

Jacobson just missed another birdie on 16. Exciting enough to watch knowing the story in the back ground.

I think it will really be the luck of the irish if he makes it :)

Anyone on Twitter? send him a pm see if he's watching :p

If he makes it he'll owe Snedeker a drink with all the players he's holding off :pac:

gorfield wrote: »
    I can confirm he's not watching....... Jacobsen looks like being the problem, better than t7 and Shane's down to 66th

Fingers crossed Gorfield. Would be great for your mate especially the opponent he'd get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

FJ 1 hole left needs birdie to get into t6th..... Huge hole for Lowry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads,

I've heard of a slow start to the season - but would Shane want to get the finger out a bit quicker ? :mad:

gorfield wrote: »
    FJ 1 hole left needs birdie to get into t6th..... Huge hole for Lowry!

He's already tied 6th playing 18th :( , damn you Day missing a tiddler!

A birdie for Jacobson at the 18th would probably get him into the top 65. A par would leave it touch and go. He's 134 yards from the pin after 2 shots according to shot tracker.

A birdie for Jacobson at the 18th would probably get him into the top 65. A par would leave it touch and go. He's 134 yards from the pin after 2 shots according to shot tracker.

Missed the green, 10 yards to pin :)

Edit: no birdie anyway

Parred the 18th. Currently in a 3 way tie for 6th. My calculations show that a 2 way tie for 7th would leave him with an almost identical ranking to Shane. It would then be down to whatever rounding they use to decide which one has the higher ranking.

Of course, I could be making an error in my calculations, but I've checked it pretty carefully, so I think those figures are correct.

Good man Day, could do with someone on -11 getting a birdie on the last now.

• Advertisement

Goosen finished with a bogey on the par 3 17th and a par 5 on the 18th. That could be the difference between Shane making the world matchplay and missing it.

Well Abff how's your decimal points now :p great birdie by Reed from the beach :eek: So Tied 7th for Jacobson :cool:

Birdie for Reid on the 18th. That leaves Jacobson in a 2 way tie for 7th and by my reckoning leaves both him and Shane on average world ranking points of 1.980. They typically show players as being tied if their average is the same to three decimal places, but they will need to separate them in order to determine the field for the world matchplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

Lads,

I've heard of a slow start to the season - but would Shane want to get the finger out a bit quicker ? :mad:

maybe if he played a few more tournaments he might have a better chance.

cant understand why he took a week off instead of playing qatar and now another week off this week.

maybe he didnt really want to play the matchplay because he didnt really make much of an effort to qualify

Birdie for Reid on the 18th. That leaves Jacobson in a 2 way tie for 7th and by my reckoning leaves both him and Shane on average world ranking points of 1.980. They typically show players as being tied if their average is the same to three decimal places, but they will need to separate them in order to determine the field for the world matchplay.

NOTE: In the event of ties at any of the 64 starting positions, the ties will be broken by the following criteria, in order:
    -- Total Official World Golf Ranking points earned in the most recent 52-week period, ending with the Ranking released on the Monday one week prior to the week of the tournament (February 11, 2013).
    -- Total Official World Golf Ranking points earned in the most recent 13-week period, ending with the Ranking released on the Monday one week prior to the week of the tournament (February 11, 2013).

Should be Shane right??

I know it looks as if I'm sitting on the fence, but it is genuinely too close to call. The points lost from one week to the next nearly always seem to differ slightly from what they should be if you apply a reduction of 1/92 to the total points that are more than 13 weeks old and within the last two years/52 tournaments.

This is probably due to rounding of the adjustment factor, but I don't know what rounding protocol they use. For what it's worth, my calculations show Lowry as having 102.962 from 52 counting tournaments, giving an average of 1.98004 and Jacobson as having 85.138 points from 43 tournaments, giving an average of 1.97995, so this would give it to Lowry by the tiniest of margins.

But as I said, there are nearly always rounding differences and the rankings are so close that even a small difference could tilt the balance the other way. And of course, there is always the possibility that I've made a mistake somewhere in my calculations.

• Advertisement

I know it looks as if I'm sitting on the fence, but it is genuinely too close to call. The points lost from one week to the next nearly always seem to differ slightly from what they should be if you apply a reduction of 1/92 to the total points that are more than 13 weeks old and within the last two years/52 tournaments.

This is probably due to rounding of the adjustment factor, but I don't know what rounding protocol they use. For what it's worth, my calculations show Lowry as having 102.962 from 52 counting tournaments, giving an average of 1.98004 and Jacobson as having 85.138 points from 43 tournaments, giving an average of 1.97995, so this would give it to Lowry by the tiniest of margins.

But as I said, there are nearly always rounding differences and the rankings are so close that even a small difference could tilt the balance the other way. And of course, there is always the possibility that I've made a mistake somewhere in my calculations.
    Is It not 1/91??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

green123 wrote: »
    maybe if he played a few more tournaments he might have a better chance.

cant understand why he took a week off instead of playing qatar and now another week off this week.

maybe he didnt really want to play the matchplay because he didnt really make much of an effort to qualify

I actually can see why he took this week off, ranking points were ****e in the Joburg Open. Jerry hits the nail on the head below.

And on your last comment, from what logic did you pull that from? Why would he not want to play the matchplay? :rolleyes: makes no sense...

Anyway, the rumblings on twitter are that Shane is in...just!!! Delighted for him.

"So there you have it. @shanelowrygolf falls to world No 65 but makes the matchplay by 0.0002 avg pts from Freddie Jacobson." from @IrishGolfDesk

NOTE: In the event of ties at any of the 64 starting positions, the ties will be broken by the following criteria, in order:
    -- Total Official World Golf Ranking points earned in the most recent 52-week period, ending with the Ranking released on the Monday one week prior to the week of the tournament (February 11, 2013).
    -- Total Official World Golf Ranking points earned in the most recent 13-week period, ending with the Ranking released on the Monday one week prior to the week of the tournament (February 11, 2013).

Should be Shane right??

Yes, if they're tied. Shane (90.92) has earned more points than Jacob (56.21) in the last 52 weeks.

Is It not 1/91??

No, it's 1/92. After 13 weeks, score is multiplied by 91/92. Keeps reducing by 1/92 per week so that after 104 weeks the rating is 1/92. Then it disappears from the calculation. Also, only the last 52 tournaments are counted, so the score can disappear earlier.

I've just discovered that the Irish Golf Desk website had published a prediction spreadsheet online. I could have saved myself a lot of effort.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement