Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Speculation

Accusation

Two pretty different meanings.

Im only hinting at what many many people worldwide including many many pga tour pros know what was going in in the 2000s up until the "one legged us open win"
    Im sure you can have a peep through google about things and draw your own conclusions just as i have. However ive had the benefit of a little bit deeper knowledge being discussed in my company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

fair enough.

i think we'll go back to talking about Shane Lowry now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Might be wrong but think Lowry is on at 12.05 which is 19.05 here, should be a good night in front of telly.

Come on Shane, make the yanks remember your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Steven81 wrote: »
    Might be wrong but think Lowry is on at 12.05 which is 19.05 here, should be a good night in front of telly.

Come on Shane, make the yanks remember your name.

Hopefully it will. Graeme v Padraig is at 17:55 our time also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Padraig and Shane to meet in round 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Can't beat Matchplay for excitement
    Next question is how far does he need to go for a top 50

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

I think if he wins the next round he'l be inside the top 50. Not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Youre the man Shane Lowry........that was worth staying up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Excellent play Shane, sublime short game skills and that 2nd shot to the Par 5 was absolute class!

@abff any chance of some OWGR predictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fair play to Shane! Rory should have reeled him in in thos early holes, but Shane hung in. Lovely stuff around the greens in the later holes. Well deserved win, and that was well worth staying up to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Last 8 needed to make the top 50.

Last 8 needed to make the top 50.

Not that I think it will matter to Shane this year but this will go a long way to getting him into RTD Top 60, this should net him about €70,000 by just getting into the 2nd round!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Rory needs to look at himself for answers as to why he lost rather than putting it down to the 18 hole format being too short. He 'won' 5 holes and 4 of them with pars.
    Shane will need to look at losing holes to par for the next round but he won't fear any of the players left in his section after this win.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Excuse my lack of understanding but is it possible for Shane to make this years masters? And if so what is needed? Is it a top 50?

He's a joy to watch. Totally uncomplicated. No BS with him. Just gets on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Panrich wrote: »
    Rory needs to look at himself for answers as to why he lost rather than putting it down to the 18 hole format being too short. He 'won' 5 holes and 4 of them with pars.
    Shane will need to look at losing holes to par for the next round but he won't fear any of the players left in his section after this win.

I think Shane is suited to Match Play, tends to blow out a couple of holes but makes plenty of birdies

Arsenium wrote: »
    Excuse my lack of understanding but is it possible for Shane to make this years masters? And if so what is needed? Is it a top 50?

If he wins a PGA Tour event (This week counts) or if he is in the Top 50 2 weeks prior to the start of the masters then he gets in, but by getting into the Top 50 this week, that will hopefully get him in the field for Doral and therefore give him more opportunity to push on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Great win by Shane, already looking forward to tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Panrich wrote: »

Its a commonly held view that 18 hole matchplay is a sprint and can be a lottery. I'm delighted for Lowry and I'm not saying he wouldnt win over 36 holes but that distance would favour the favourite so to speak. Go on Shane Lowry.

cornerboy wrote: »
    Its a commonly held view that 18 hole matchplay is a sprint and can be a lottery. I'm delighted for Lowry and I'm not saying he wouldnt win over 36 holes but that distance would favour the favourite so to speak. Go on Shane Lowry.

100% of the time, the player who plays better on the day wins the match, there's no lottery it's just how you are playing on a given day. The lottery is in who you get drawn against as some players can win with a 75 and some can lose with a 65!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Most of the holes Shane won in the first 11/12 holes were just down to Rory being lazy and disinterested
    When Shane starting chipping in for birdies / pars to win holes the tide had gone out in the superstar that is 'Rors'
    Great win for Shane, but I would have backed myself to take Rory down last night.
    Lowry could actually go on something of a roll now.
    Always seems to feel a little out of place at proper competitions - probably because he is still relatively new to pro golf.
    Very endearing to hear him say he has never met Tiger.
    I guess Tiger has never been to Coppers, or Tullamore for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 andrewmaximus

With Tiger's reputation , I'd say chances are he has visted Coppers at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

With Tiger's reputation , I'd say chances are he has visted Coppers at some stage.

I'm almost certain I met him in Zaytoons one night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When he missed that opening par 3 after Rory missed it I thought he blew an early chance but his two chip ins and (given) eagle were class.
    Well done, he closed out on the world number 1 (regardless of Rory's play on the day).

good for Lowry to win but both players were pretty awful over the round. He'll have to up his game significantly against FOWLER/PETTERSSON. the 2 chip-ins were lovely but how often is that going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

glasso wrote: »
    good for Lowry to win but both players were pretty awful over the round. He'll have to up his game significantly against FOWLER/PETTERSSON. the 2 chip-ins were lovely but how often is that going to happen.
    I'd fancy Shane in that match.
    Is chipping in not an important part of golf. He had other great up and downs. If your good at chipping , some go in. He has done it before at big moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

any idea what time he is out tonight? i think the two lads have to finish off there match dont they?

Great win I remember playing along side shane 9 years ago in Esker hills never thought he would be where he is today !!super achievement !!

I'd fancy Shane in that match.
    Is chipping in not an important part of golf. He had other great up and downs. If your good at chipping , some go in. He has done it before at big moments.

I'll be supporting Lowry but he did have 5 bogeys in the round yesterday - will have to improve on that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was just thinking there. No matter what now, in 20 years, Shane can say he beat the world number 1.

glasso wrote: »
    I'll be supporting Lowry but he did have 5 bogeys in the round yesterday - will have to improve on that...

He still would have been under par for his round though which he will definitely be happy with for his first time playing the course in a competitive round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

Was just thinking there. No matter what now, in 20 years, Shane can say he beat the world number 1.

Fingers crossed he won't even remember this win in 20 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Well done Shane. Great to beat the world number one, no matter how it was achieved. No doubt it was a mentally tough match for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

What will this week mean to his world ranking? If he could get another win today would it be worth a few places?

big_drive wrote: »
    What will this week mean to his world ranking? If he could get another win today would it be worth a few places?
    Every win helps, last 8 needed for top 50. Pettersen won on 19th. Match off at 18:44 Irish time.

Every win helps, last 8 needed for top 50. Pettersen won on 19th. Match off at 18:44 Irish time.

Battle of the Heavyweights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

link_2007 wrote: »

Ha.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

link_2007 wrote: »

Loser buys the McDonalds.

Not much of a battle
    Shane 4 up after 10
    Not a hole list yet ..... Touching wood

He's in cruise control today, no need for the magic recovery shots like yesterday. 5 up after 12 and has hit every green in reguation (-4).

Savage

Superb from Shane today, $140K at least now. Also will count as approx €100K towards race to Dubai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Well done Shane, super performance today.

It's great to see him doing so well. If he can keep going, he may even get into the top 50 and qualify for Doral in two weeks time. Two more wins will do it.

At this stage, Padraig Harrington is projected to be 50th in the World rankings on Monday, but 4th place would put Shane ahead of him. So one of them will definitely be at Doral. Of course, Shane will have another chance to make the top 50 next week if he gets through the qualifier for next week's tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Crikey, late home from work, set sky to record and all I see of Shane is 2 putts and then a 6&5 win.

Some going.

Great for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

thats all anyone saw, the coverage for Shane was terrible. For the lad who knocked out the world no. 1 I was expecting a bit more tv time.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    thats all anyone saw, the coverage for Shane was terrible. For the lad who knocked out the world no. 1 I was expecting a bit more tv time.

Totally agree. Was a ridiculous amount of coverage.

Was I disappointed at the coverage? Yes.

Was I surprised? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Im not surprised that he is not getting much coverage, because he is not a household name yet.

Great to see him putting in the honest performances, and nice to have this "Shane Lowry appreciation thread" to see other people happy to see him winning too.

Well he's guaranteed 4.4 world **** points now, about the same as his 9th finish earlier this year, that will do him good.
    If he wins against GMac that will bump him up to 8.9 points, about the equivalent of a top 5 finish on a well attended European event.
    Last year the top 16 was $95k, top 8 was $140k :eek:

slave1 wrote: »
    Last year the top 16 was $95k, top 8 was $140k :eek:

Even better, last 16 was $140K and last 8 was $270K

Even better, last 16 was $140K and last 8 was $270K

You're right, suppose I need two of these so :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement