Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I like the guy. He's real... I'm not too concerned if kids follow him, his content isn't that crude and nothing compared the what we grew up with in the 70's and 80's. The world has become so politically correct and people are so protective that they'll end up do more harm to their kids than good.

Go Shano, keep being Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Jesus... it was a joke. Any child young enough to find that offensive shouldn't be on twitter. If they are, that's their parents problem. Lets hope they stop following Shane though and start following Frankie Boyle.

Yeah but I repeat it was crude. It wasn't funny or tasteful. I like him but it was a little disappointing he would 'publish' something David Brent might say. Just a little more thought required. I'm not trying to bash him at all because he comes across as a lovely guy but at the same time why should we defend everything that comes out of his mouth just because he's a good golfer who happens to come from Ireland.

Just imagine if Woods had come out with a comment like that. Would you take time to defend him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Shane is just as open to criticism as any other golfer; him being Irish doesnt mean that we all have to put the blinkers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

Yeah but I repeat it was crude. It wasn't funny or tasteful. I like him but it was a little disappointing he would 'publish' something David Brent might say. Just a little more thought required. I'm not trying to bash him at all because he comes across as a lovely guy but at the same time why should we defend everything that comes out of his mouth just because he's a good golfer who happens to come from Ireland.

Just imagine if Woods had come out with a comment like that. Would you take time to defend him?

Maybe not, but I wouldn't take the time to criticise him either. You mightn't have found it funny, but maybe some did. I rarely get disappointed or feel let down by anything a sportsperson says or does away from their sport. They're people. I've made crude or offensive jokes. I'm sure people have been offended by things you've said in the past. I reckon if someone picked you up on everything you've ever said which could be deemed crude or offensive you'd call them petty.

As you can see from his twitter, Lowry uses it as a way to communicate with fans but also as a way to have banter with his friends. That should be applauded as opposed to knocked. People get to see who he really is as opposed to the generic sports person's tweets sent out by their management. Remeber, something is only offensive or crude to the person who finds it offensive or crude. The problem is yours, not his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Shane then proceeds to post a picture of the airplane bar last evening on Twitter. Does no-one filter his account before posting? This after his great comment recently on his favourite hole in Ireland (I'll leave ye to work out his reply:rolleyes:)
    Great example to youngsters -quit & head to the bar. Very disappointing.

Having said that I hope that The Memorial goes well for him & that he makes Top 60 in OWR to qualify for Merion.

Think he should consider changing Management Company tho':D:D

Reminds me of " johnny was a great guy since he stopped beating his wife "

He is a young guy living the dream

A thousand times better than praise Jesus or Allah or whoever for everything that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

not playing the 2nd round is like walking in after 9. He was playing in 2 balls and thus could have left his playing partner going around with a marker.

Maybe not, but I wouldn't take the time to criticise him either. You mightn't have found it funny, but maybe some did. I rarely get disappointed or feel let down by anything a sportsperson says or does away from their sport. They're people. I've made crude or offensive jokes. I'm sure people have been offended by things you've said in the past. I reckon if someone picked you up on everything you've ever said which could be deemed crude or offensive you'd call them petty.

As you can see from his twitter, Lowry uses it as a way to communicate with fans but also as a way to have banter with his friends. That should be applauded as opposed to knocked. People get to see who he really is as opposed to the generic sports person's tweets sent out by their management. Remeber, something is only offensive or crude to the person who finds it offensive or crude. The problem is yours, not his.

Yeah I'm sure I have made offensive jokes in front of family or close friends who I trust, but I don't think broadcasting it to the world via twitter is that bright. Obviously, he's lucky he isn't as high profile as some other guys so he can get away with it but if ever his attitude towards women is under question this could come back to haunt him. I'm not actually offended by his comment. I just think it lacked class. For the record, did you think it was funny or appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just like many of his other invites he's last out again in round 1 of The Memorial.

6:49 P.M Irish time with George Coetzee and Shane Fox(A).

Trampas wrote: »
    not playing the 2nd round is like walking in after 9. He was playing in 2 balls and thus could have left his playing partner going around with a marker.

Except it's not like walking in after 9 as at the beginning of a new round the officials can make sure no one is playing on their own.

Yeah I'm sure I have made offensive jokes in front of family or close friends who I trust, but I don't think broadcasting it to the world via twitter is that bright. Obviously, he's lucky he isn't as high profile as some other guys so he can get away with it but if ever his attitude towards women is under question this could come back to haunt him. I'm not actually offended by his comment. I just think it lacked class. For the record, did you think it was funny or appropriate?

It's kind of irrelevant, but I wouldn't say I found it particularly funny. The only person it was inappropriate for was the person who asked the question as they may have actually liked a genuine answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

whats his situation with caddies? seems to swap around a bit - hes got dara leirnahan this week, then sometimes neil manchip but dermot byrne is his 'official' caddy..

• Advertisement

Dermot Byrne is his caddy. Neil Manchip is his coach who has caddied for him once or twice when Dermot has been unavailable. Where did you hear Dara Lernihan is caddying for him this week? I see from his twitter he's gone out with him and has caddied during a practice round, but I doubt he's caddying for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Dermot Byrne is his caddy. Neil Manchip is his coach who has caddied for him once or twice when Dermot has been unavailable. Where did you hear Dara Lernihan is caddying for him this week? I see from his twitter he's gone out with him and has caddied during a practice round, but I doubt he's caddying for the tournament.

ah, ok. dara must just have been on his bag for the practice round. i assumed he was on for the full week

mag wrote: »
    ah, ok. dara must just have been on his bag for the practice round. i assumed he was on for the full week

Well he could be. I don't know. I'm just saying I'd be surprised if he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Well he could be. I don't know. I'm just saying I'd be surprised if he is.

I doubt it. The accompanying hashtags for the picture on twitter were "wrong clubs" and "wouldn't let him carry the shopping" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Disappointing Day 1 at Memorial. Was tipping along nicely on level par through 10, but finished up on +6. In good company, I suppose, but will need to step up today. GIR was less than 50% and he seemed to be spraying the drives around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

vienne86 wrote: »
    Disappointing Day 1 at Memorial. Was tipping along nicely on level par through 10, but finished up on +6. In good company, I suppose, but will need to step up today. GIR was less than 50% and he seemed to be spraying the drives around a bit.

In one way it is great for him to get these invites but feel it was all a bit rushed this week after his great finish at the BMW then the US Open qualifier on Monday so really prob didn't get near the course until Tuesday sometime.

Hopefully he can go low tomorrow, cut will be +2 or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Missed 3 out of 5 cuts so far on the PGA tour, will most likely be 4 out of 6 after today. Was he a sponsors pick for this or how is he picking up invites?

Aidric wrote: »
    Missed 3 out of 5 cuts so far on the PGA tour, will most likely be 4 out of 6 after today. Was he a sponsors pick for this or how is he picking up invites?

Beating McIlroy in the Matchplay over there gained him a bit of fame and he came across very well that week in interviews and became quite popular. Jason Sobel from the golf channel was particularly impressed with him and wrote a couple of articles that week about him. ONe praising him for following Gmac around the course in his match after he had beaten Shane.

That, along with the fact that he has the same management as Rory and Gmac has helped him get invites.

I think 7 is the max amount of invites a non pga member can get. Hope to see him back in Europe until the pga and bridgestone concentrating on race 2 Dubai.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

not a great start today either, think he'll be home soon unfortunately. Was hoping he'd have a good run this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think he has been hoping back and forward to much.

Probably should have tried to group 6 weeks in the usa and then come back to europe for a while and go back across after the british open.

must be his 3rd time across the pond this year.

the travelling will catch up on you. he was complaining about jet lag the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I can see why he is keen to play in America as much as he can and is taking all the opportunities he can get, but all of this running back and forth isn't doing him any good. He's having a nightmare today, lying second last. Really hope he settles down to a spell in Europe. His world ranking/R2D ranking is suffering right now.

Think he was +11 on the front 9 and +1 on the back nine over the two days.

Abysmal stuff. Take the WCG out of it and he looks badly out of his depth. Stick to the European Tour and try to work your way up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Abysmal stuff. Take the WCG out of it and he looks badly out of his depth. Stick to the European Tour and try to work your way up.

Maybe a little harsh, but I agree that the travel (and trying to cope with the difference in set up between the two tours) is probably not doing him any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Probably right, big shakey is just not long enough for a lot of american courses.

It took G years to make the US level, now he is world no.7. Some man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Interview with Shane on Today FM in about 10mins or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Shane on Championship Matters tonight

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10156895/

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Shane on Championship Matters tonight

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10156895/[/QUOTE]

And Anna Geary :P

Cant have it all though.....Marty :(

• Advertisement

Just listening to an interview with him on Off the Ball. He said he is focusing on the European Tour for the rest of the season which is good to hear.

Shane doing today what was needed yesterday. -5 for the front 9 in final round of BMW.

Should give him a bit of momentum going into next week.

Now 7 under after 13.

Finishes with an impressive 65. That is an excellent leaderboard on the final day, great days play ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

3 65s already today, pin placement must be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

That finish should see a top ten finish.

Sets him up for next week. Might put a small bet on him.

Probably wont be even top 20.

Just got home and surprised to see no comments on this thread about Shane's great round today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Yeah - even in the worst of the conditions, he seemed to be enjoying himself. Like I said on another thread, it speaks volumes about his dedication when I saw him back on the range about 2 hours after his round working away when it was still drizzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Yeah - even in the worst of the conditions, he seemed to be enjoying himself. Like I said on another thread, it speaks volumes about his dedication when I saw him back on the range about 2 hours after his round working away when it was still drizzling.

He was excellent yesterday and had chances to be lower.. Missed very little all day, it all looked very controlled.

• Advertisement

Lowry really seems to thrive when he has lots of support from the crowd. Obviously it'll be a lot of pressure being the only Irish contender this weekend but I reckon he'll love it. He has shown some grit after bad starts to both rounds this week. Let's hope he can birdie the first tomorrow to set up a great round.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Hopefully he can keep playing his own game and not put too much pressure on himself. Super finish today, keeps im nicely in touch with the leaders, this is anybodies tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Anybody else think Shane was looking a bit, ahem, thinner ?

More focused on the course again today, even after a poor start.

He seems to have 'grown up' a little since I last saw him interviewed.

Maybe a glimpse, whilst in the U.S., of the riches available to the consistent golfer
    have inspired him ?

Didnt play great today but dug out a 70. Really hope he keeps contending over the weekend. Id imagine it would be a rare enough to win same tour event as an amateur and a pro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

For Paws wrote: »
    Anybody else think Shane was looking a bit, ahem, thinner ?

More focused on the course again today, even after a poor start.

He seems to have 'grown up' a little since I last saw him interviewed.

Maybe a glimpse, whilst in the U.S., of the riches available to the consistent golfer
    have inspired him ?

he gives a great interview now alright and it seems the sky commentators love him too which is great for coverage for him.

Here's hoping he pushes on for a top finish for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Did the bet, a place return would be a miracle. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

That is one of the harshest infractions I've ever seen.

I didn't even know you weren't allowed to talk about betting in this thread. Someone clearly in a pissy mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Felexicon wrote: »

Backchat, that's a paddling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Felexicon wrote: »

it was a warning, not an infraction.
    you can tell the difference by the colour of the card.
    his is yellow, yours is red.

it's a clear breach of the charter, a post purely about betting, could/should have been an infraction.

lads the constant commentary on moderator actions is getting old, please leave it as it disrupts threads and causes problems.
    if you have an issue take it to pm or feedback thread.
    no more warnings on this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement