Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Great golf, well done Shane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

me89 wrote: »
    €527,770 not a bad week :pac:

Not bad for a lad from Clara, should get 20odd ranking points too for a good jump.
    Dare I say it, couple more and Ryder Cup thoughts....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

slave1 wrote: »
    Not bad for a lad from Clara, should get 20odd ranking points too for a good jump.
    Dare I say it, couple more and Ryder Cup thoughts....

Probably more likely 35-40 points. The PGA has a high minimum points value to the winner (60+), and it's usually 60% of that to the runner-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

What would he need to make Ryder cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Fair play to Shane. What a victory for him. The diet has really helped his game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Congrats Shane, well done. Some good golf. Hopefully can continue on well from here, was worried he was going to disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Hopefully he can qualify for the US open tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

ForeRight wrote: »
    On the gargle and missing for 2 years now.

See you then shane :)

Can you not be positive for once?

Zaph wrote: »
    Probably more likely 35-40 points. The PGA has a high minimum points value to the winner (60+), and it's usually 60% of that to the runner-up.

64 points for the winner, 38.40 for coming second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

abff wrote: »
    Can you not be positive for once?

I'm only positive when it comes to paddy ;)

You just selected 1 joking comment I made in this thread today to have a pop and ignored all the kudos and happiness I showed towards shanes performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Now 15th in the race to Dubai :-)

Biggest payday of his career by a good way- well over the €375k that he got for the Portugal masters. Nice one. Anyone got a guess on where he'll be in the world rankings after today?

glasso wrote: »
    Biggest payday of his career by a good way- well over the €375k that he got for the Portugal masters. Nice one. Anyone got a guess on where he'll be in the world rankings after today?

Top 80 id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Great result. His performance this season before this could only be described as very poor but this should be a great kick on for him.

More to come now please..... maybe next month.... in Cork perhaps???

ForeRight wrote: »
    I'm only positive when it comes to paddy ;)

You just selected 1 joking comment I made in this thread today to have a pop and ignored all the kudos and happiness I showed towards shanes performance.

Fair enough. Sorry about that. But you have to admit, a lot of your posts about Padraig are somewhat ironic, to say the least.

But I'll take your comment about Shane in the spirit in which it was intended.

I've worked out that Shane's putt on the 18th (as compared to a two putt) was worth €173,563 plus 10.67 world ranking points. Today's performance should bring him up to somewhere around 75th in the world rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

He is golfing tomorrow also, qualifying for the US open

Hard to keep the energy going for the qualifying tomorrow. Still though he's bound to be full of confidence so that should help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Got nothing but fantastic comments from all the sky commentators in relation to his golf especially his short game & how he carried himself
    The "European Tours Dufner " was mentioned ...... That's not a bad comparison
    Onward on upward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Delighted to see him finish well would have loved to see him get a win in such a big event. No surprise if he goes a few weeks posting high finishes now.

Hopefully has enough in the tank to get through qualifying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That was as good a days golf as I've watched in a long time. Two Irish near the top helped but I love that event and the uncertainty until almost the last putt was great.
    Really impressed with Lowry today - he looked the part and kept it going all the way. (He could still lose a few kilos though.)
    Very happy for McIlroy too - Bjorn did throw it away but Rory still had to make the score. He seemed very subdued after - Not a happy bunny I think.
    Wonder if Lowry will have the energy and determination to get up tomorrow and do it all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Up to 75th in the world

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jumped another spot to 74 in the wee hours?

Up to 74th now in WGR.

slave1 wrote: »
    Jumped another spot to 74 in the wee hours?

They put him up another spot when they heard how many pints he drank last night to celebrate!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

big_drive wrote: »
    They put him up another spot when they heard how many pints he drank last night to celebrate!! :)

Really? Can you explain how that works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Really? Can you explain how that works?
    It's calculated based on a coefficient of the number of pints you drank in the last two years when compared to 1. the number of people you are drinking with and 2. the number of pints they are drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Relax people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Whats involved in qualifying tomorrow what does he have to do and does if have to travel for it?

Great day for him hopefully it stands to him, great to see the put on 18 to end on a high even though he was terrible unlucky not to win it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Got to see most of his rounds, his short game was top class all week. The only one that really got away from him was the chip which led to bogey on 15 yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

That birdie putt on 17 was weak, his chip got away from him a bit. Only consolation was Donald couldn't get it up and down either from near enough the same spot.

Can't find any live scoring from Walton heath:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

benny79 wrote: »
    Whats involved in qualifying tomorrow what does he have to do and does if have to travel for it?

Great day for him hopefully it stands to him, great to see the put on 18 to end on a high even though he was terrible unlucky not to win it!

I think the putt on 18th is a testament to what he can do when his head is in the right place and his confidence is up. He easily could have fallen apart and lost interest once he missed the green right but he stuck to it. The celebration and smile at the end will win him alot of fans.

He was complimentary of Fota having played it a few weeks back, might be worth a sneaky shout for that too.

36 holes today at Walton Heath, only 20 miles from Wentworth.

Started on the new course at 8.59 with Eduardo Molinari.
    Will play the old course at 13.44.

New course is the easier one.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think the putt on 18th is a testament to what he can do when his head is in the right place and his confidence is up. He easily could have fallen apart and lost interest once he missed the green right but he stuck to it. The celebration and smile at the end will win him alot of fans.

He was complimentary of Fota having played it a few weeks back, might be worth a sneaky shout for that too.

The putt on 18 was a bonus - you get those freaky breaks sometimes. I would rate his eagle and the Birdie on 17 higher. And the regrouping after the double.
    He showed qualities yesterday that if he can sustain he has a bright future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

First Up wrote: »
    The putt on 18 was a bonus - you get those freaky breaks sometimes. I would rate his eagle and the Birdie on 17 higher. And the regrouping after the double.

I thought he missed his birdie putt on 17?

• Advertisement

36 holes today at Walton Heath, only 20 miles from Wentworth.

Started on the new course at 8.59 with Eduardo Molinari.
    Will play the old course at 13.44.

New course is the easier one.

and does he have to finish first or what? be a hard act to follow 4 days of intense golf day to play 2 rounds in a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

and does he have to finish first or what? be a hard act to follow 4 days of intense golf day to play 2 rounds in a day!

I think its top 10/12 to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Top 12 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did he not miss the birdie and slap the putter? I thought he had melted his head at that stage.

10/12 spots, 96 players.

• Advertisement

I thought he missed his birdie putt on 17?

You are right, I was confusing him with Rory on that one. He made lots of clutch putts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

You are right, I was confusing him with Rory on that one. He made lots of clutch putts though.

Rory birdied 17 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Top 14 qualify

69 for Shane this morning

AGC wrote: »
    69 for Shane this morning

So -3 after playing the easier course.

Last year -3 made the play off, -6 previous year.

Will probably need to go under par on the old course as well.

who sponsors this? do they get money for playing or is it just to qualify for us open?

who sponsors this? do they get money for playing or is it just to qualify for us open?

Just a qualifier.

Are the scores available online anywhere?

abff wrote: »
    Are the scores available online anywhere?

Don't seem to be

Predicted qualifying score is -4

AGC wrote: »
    Don't seem to be

Predicted qualifying score is -4

Report on Sky a while ago had him at -5 but a long way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement