Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Is it a tough course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is it a tough course?

2 courses, he's on the tougher one now.

Tied 9th with 5 others after first round. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Scoring similar on both courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just looking at the OWGR table, Lowry has played 51 events in the past 24 months and so has a high divisor. It's ironic that if he had taken the first 19 weeks of 2014 off and saved a bundle on air fares to the Gulf, South Africa and Asia, it would have had no effect on his total points (he didn't earn any) but his divisor would now be 43 and he would be ranked in the top 60 (T58 with Richard Sterne) thereby earning an exemption to the US Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Shane at -6 going down 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Shane at -6 going down 15.

Just seen that on Sky sports. You beat me to it! Looking good to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

• Advertisement

-8 yahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lance Murdock

8 under. He qualified.

-8 for Shane - he is going to the US Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Excellent. Some golf after yesterday's exploits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    -8 for Shane - he is going to the US Open.

Well done Shane.

Would have been easy to turn head off after yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

He'll be shattered after the past few days. Will enjoy a rest I'd imagine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Well done Shane.

Would have been easy to turn head off after yesterday.

Great stuff. A good evening coming up I'd say and well earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

coylemj wrote: »
    Just looking at the OWGR table, Lowry has played 51 events in the past 24 months and so has a high divisor. It's ironic that if he had taken the first 19 weeks of 2014 off and saved a bundle on air fares to the Gulf, South Africa and Asia, it would have had no effect on his total points (he didn't earn any) but his divisor would now be 43 and he would be ranked in the top 60 (T58 with Richard Sterne) thereby earning an exemption to the US Open.

Very true, and shows the fickle nature of golf.
    He could have also easily taken the last week off due to poor form and earned nothing...silly old game.

First Up wrote: »
    Great stuff. A good evening coming up I'd say and well earned.

Flight to Sweden id say.

great form over the last week. hopefully he can get a bit of consistency together. the comparison to Dufner is a bit harsh - is that down to physique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

glasso wrote: »
    great form over the last week. hopefully he can get a bit of consistency together. the comparison to Dufner is a bit harsh - is that down to physique?

No I think they both like black laces in their shoes

• Advertisement

308567.jpg

glasso wrote: »

No they said the laid back attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well done Shane, what an amazing week for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

#legend
    #skeeup
    #ShaneLowry
    #USOPENBABY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

He's going to win the US, told ya here first.
    QED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

We'll done Shane. Amazing what one good week can do to your season, hope he keeps pushing on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The performance at Wentworth was very impressive from Shane.

But to be able to re-focus so quickly the day after and churn out two sub-70 rounds with the stakes so high is even more impressive.

Speak volumes about where he's at re: professionalism, determination and will to succeed. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great to see Shane qualify. He seems to have great nerves which will stand him in good stead as a pro golfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Shane moving in positive direction and poor Harrington moving the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Shane actually looked very comfortable against the top-class field. He was like that too in most of his match-play events. Let's hope he continues on this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

syngindub wrote: »
    Shane moving in positive direction and poor Harrington moving the other.

I wouldnt say poor, he's had a great career and earned millions for himself.

Amazing in golf how one great week can turn everything around. From frustration and struggling it could become Lowry's best year yet since turning pro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

The performance at Wentworth was very impressive from Shane.

But to be able to re-focus so quickly the day after and churn out two sub-70 rounds with the stakes so high is even more impressive.

Speak volumes about where he's at re: professionalism, determination and will to succeed. Fair play.

Yeah reading there a quote by him saying that experience (contending with big names on Sunday) at Wentworth was exactly where he wanted to be (or words to that effect).
    He's young as well so an interesting prospect.

Obviously nothing is certain in sport but i could see him winning a major at some stage of his career

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Stacksey wrote: »
    I wouldnt say poor, he's had a great career and earned millions for himself.
    He didn't mean poor in the monetary sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Huge turnaround for Lowry over the last two weeks. If you look back on this thread and on the European Tour thread, you will see that a lot of people were writing him off and criticising him for his laissez faire attitude. I'm delighted for him and I really hope he kicks on from here. I don't think he's quite ready to win a major yet, but a top 10 is certainly a possibility and there's still an outside chance he could play himself into Ryder Cup contention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah, I wouldn't say folk were writing him off, I think it was more concern about what was happening to him earlier to last week and his apparent attitude to it.
    All came good in the end and if I were him I would be seriously looking at the Ryder Cup, a victory and a few top 10's would get him there, why bloody not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

He is at it again, 2 under through 6 and tied 4th. Great week for him

Quoted on RTE this morning saying he is on a good run and not feeling tired, so playing in Sweden this week. Going nicely so far this morning. Great to see.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Quoted on RTE this morning saying he is on a good run and not feeling tired, so playing in Sweden this week. Going nicely so far this morning. Great to see.

His "diary" in today's Irish Times makes interesting reading. Nothing terribly insightful but shows a bit of welcome maturity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd say he is loving his game at the minute, confidence is high so just wants to play as much as he can!

love to know what that feels like :(

Finished the day on 1 under. Pity about the bogey on his last hole.

First Up wrote: »
    His "diary" in today's Irish Times makes interesting reading. Nothing terribly insightful but shows a bit of welcome maturity.

Yeah I enjoyed the read. It's a good behind the scenes account.

A link for anyone who hasn't read it... http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-i-limit-myself-to-one-bottle-of-corona-yes-a-really-wild-night-1.1812766?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

At work so not watching it but he seems to be off to a flier today. -3 for 5 holes and -4 overall.

Panrich wrote: »
    At work so not watching it but he seems to be off to a flier today. -3 for 5 holes and -4 overall.

And just put the hex on him....

• Advertisement

Nice to see Kevin Phelan in at -3. That should see him comfortably in for the weekend.

Panrich wrote: »
    And just put the hex on him....

Really worked. a triple at the 9th for +5 in his last 4 holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Birdies the last to make the cut on the maek. Nice....!!

Birdies the last to make the cut on the maek. Nice....!!

I understood he had a couple to spare but good that he is playing the weekend. Tight field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ur right. On my phone with smashed screen and no glasses!

• Advertisement
Advertisement