Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Parred his way around today with three birdies and three bogies. Level for the tournament in 54th place.

Probably a bit drained after his weeks work at Wentworth and Walton Heath.

Started well this morning with eagle, par, birdie but had a bogey on the 4th and has just parred the fifth.

No chance of winning unless the top guys implode but could be a solid finish. Currently tied 38th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Now 6 under and up to 14th but I wonder when the rest of the field get out will he drop back again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

slave1 wrote: »
    Now 6 under and up to 14th but I wonder when the rest of the field get out will he drop back again?

Finished with 6 pars for a 66. Currently tied 19th. Will probably finish somewhere between 25th and 30th would be my guess.

Finished 6 under with pars on the last 6 holes. Tied 20th now, but Michael Hoey is making a bit of a charge at three under after 8. Peter Lawrie had a -5 to finish at 4 under and Kevin Phelan is -1 after 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

With current scoring conditions will do well to be top 30, still 17 birdies and 2 eagles for the week.

abff wrote: »
    Finished with 6 pars for a 66. Currently tied 19th. Will probably finish somewhere between 25th and 30th would be my guess.

Finished in a seven way tie for 25th. Not a bad result after the previous week. I presume he's taking next week off in preparation for the US Open.

He's up another place to 73rd now. Hopefully the US Open will see him continue his upward trend.

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYi2Jl2Hrhk

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

The US Open groupings were announced today, of all the majors they'll employ a bit of humour with some of the trios.

Therefore, I'm assuming it's deliberate, if a bit close to the bone, that Shane Lowry is playing with Brendon de Jonge and Kevin Stadler the first two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The US Open groupings were announced today, of all the majors they'll employ a bit of humour with some of the trios.

Therefore, I'm assuming it's deliberate, if a bit close to the bone, that Shane Lowry is playing with Brendon de Jonge and Kevin Stadler the first two days.

Please elaborate...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

because they are triplets??

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Please elaborate...

A 'husky' trio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Shane is nowhere near that level of "huskyness"

Wow, you are hilarious... I'm guessing you went to a special school, because you just don't get that level of humour without being a little special...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wow, you are hilarious... I'm guessing you went to a special school, because you just don't get that level of humour without being a little special...

So in your book. it's fair game to make light and poke fun at mental illness but it's not ok for someone to inform us of a message that the US Open organisers are clearly making.
    Nice.

They have clearly grouped 3 big guys together. As Denis said, they tend to group guys for reason and as he also said they tend to do some as humour on their part.
    Rather than rolling around laughing he even said it was a bit close to the bone.
    Maybe you should just boycott watching the US Open?

And for the record, going back to Wentworth when I jokingly said that Shane would probably be at the bar during the rain delay.... This was, as the kids call it, banter.
    I won't say it was sarcastic as I could see why people were highlighting it was a concern.
    But it was another thing that you got offended by and took up wrong.
    A few weeks previously I had defended Shane saying that I didn't think all this talk of him drinking a lot, or being perceived to be drinking a lot, was going to be a major issue.
    He was in a slump at the time and I'm delighted to say I was right to say that good things were ahead.

PARlance wrote: »
    So in your book. it's fair game to make light and poke fun at mental illness but it's not ok for someone to inform us of a message that the US Open organisers are clearly making.
    Nice.

They have clearly grouped 3 big guys together. As Denis said, they tend to group guys for reason and as he also said they tend to do some as humour on their part.
    Rather than rolling around laughing he even said it was a bit close to the bone.
    Maybe you should just boycott watching the US Open?

And for the record, going back to Wentworth when I jokingly said that Shane would probably be at the bar during the rain delay.... This was, as the kids call it, banter.
    I won't say it was sarcastic as I could see why people were highlighting it was a concern.
    But it was another thing that you got offended by and took up wrong.
    A few weeks previously I had defended Shane saying that I didn't think all this talk of him drinking a lot, or being perceived to be drinking a lot, was going to be a major issue.
    He was in a slump at the time and I'm delighted to say I was right to say that good things were ahead.

I'm not not putting down anyone with mental illness. Simply highlighting that you have a special kind of humour... I don't particularly like the term special being used in relation to mental health... I was using the term in a more literal sense.

I find your humour disturbing more than anything and still find it unual that you chose to publically laugh at three fat men.

As previously dealt with in this thread, it would be better to discuss Shanes golf than to laugh at this physique...

I hear Carton House have let Shane "go", does anyone know what club he's associated with now?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

a) I'm not a member of the USGA, so I didn't have any part in grouping the three of them together. Take a look around the internet, here, for example, and you'll see that others made the link too.

b) As PARlance said, I pointed out that it was 'humour' which was close to the bone. Read 'Open' by John Feinstein and you'll see that the man who set the pairings realised he had gone too far one year when, for the US Women's Open, he put together three lady golfers who had all been in therapy.

c) I was educated through the regular state system, but thanks for your concern.

• Advertisement

I see in today's Irish Times that Shane is going to the Offaly-Kilkenny game before heading off to the States for next week's US Open. You've got to admire what a down to earth, normal guy he is.

I'm not not putting down anyone with mental illness. Simply highlighting that you have a special kind of humour... I don't particularly like the term special being used in relation to mental health... I was using the term in a more literal sense.

I find your humour disturbing more than anything and still find it unual that you chose to publically laugh at three fat men.

As previously dealt with in this thread, it would be better to discuss Shanes golf than to laugh at this physique...

Weasel out of it as you may, special and special schools have one meaning.

I think you'll find that I used the term big guys rather than fat men as you put it.
    As for laughing at them... I'd like to see where I was laughing at the grouping.

Golf Related:
    I certainly think Shane was carrying more weight that he should have last year. All this is relative to his game/health/fitness for me.
    A healthier lighter Shane equals a guy that has more chance to succeed.
    The fact he has clearly lost weight and trimmed down over the last year would suggest that he too recognised this.

Ironically, one of the things I like most about Shane is his attribute of not talking himself so seriously and having the ability to laugh at himself.
    It's a breath of fresh air in the world of Pro golf.

I certainly think he'd be having a laugh at some of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

abff wrote: »
    I see in today's Irish Times that Shane is going to the Offaly-Kilkenny game before heading off to the States for next week's US Open. You've got to admire what a down to earth, normal guy he is.

I had hoped he would be in the US by now. Most players have already had a few practice rounds at Pinehurst so Shane will already be on the back foot.

With the upturned bowl greens and run-off areas there, the more pre-tournament rounds you can get in, the better. Then again... I'm sure he knows what is best for his own routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I hear Carton House have let Shane "go", does anyone know what club he's associated with now?

I believe he joined Castle Golf Club, not representing them, Just paid his fees and so on, before any one starts, its just what I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

neckedit wrote: »
    I believe he joined Castle Golf Club, not representing them, Just paid his fees and so on, before any one starts, its just what I was told.

Castle, as The Castle in Dublin? Nice course (and excellent club) but not really a course that will offer a pro a serious practice venue. Too short, but decent for short game.

I certainly think he'd be having a laugh at some of this thread.

someone should invite him to read it so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

First Up wrote: »
    Castle, as The Castle in Dublin? Nice course (and excellent club) but not really a course that will offer a pro a serious practice venue. Too short, but decent for short game.

aye, thats the one, i'm playing there tomorrow so I'll ask the boys. I know he has a few buddies there and plays it quiet a bit.

aye, thats the one, i'm playing there tomorrow so I'll ask the boys. I know he has a few buddies there and plays it quiet a bit.

I'm there on Wednesday as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Up to 71st in the WGR now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Asked a work colleague that's a member in Castle. Lowry joined as a pavilion member in the past year.

He was offered an honorary membership, but declined it. Supposedly wants to go through the same joining process as a normal member.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Asked a work colleague that's a member in Castle. Lowry joined as a pavilion member in the past year.

He was offered an honorary membership, but declined it. Supposedly wants to go through the same joining process as a normal member.

Thanks - that is fair enough on his part.

• Advertisement

Thanks - that is fair enough on his part.

I'd like to think I'd do the same (like to think anyway :P)

His mates have all sat on the waiting list for a few years, and then shelled out the €15k (or whatever it is now) joining fee.
    When money of this amount isn't a big deal to him, it's a decent gesture to go through the same process as your mates. Shows he just wants to play golf up there when the opportunity arises - not be treated differently for being famous.

And the waiting list for a few years won't do him any harm - I can't imagine he's looking to play in the monthly medal anytime soon :pac:

I'd like to think I'd do the same (like to think anyway :P)

His mates have all sat on the waiting list for a few years, and then shelled out the €15k (or whatever it is now) joining fee.
    When money of this amount isn't a big deal to him, it's a decent gesture to go through the same process as your mates. Shows he just wants to play golf up there when the opportunity arises - not be treated differently for being famous.

And the waiting list for a few years won't do him any harm - I can't imagine he's looking to play in the monthly medal anytime soon :pac:

Probably plans to use it more for practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My understanding is that Harrington did the same in dun laoghaire. Was offered honorary membership but said no, if he was joining he'd pay full fee & sub.

Those memberships fees will be tax deductable too so easier on the pros...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fair play to the two of them for paying up all the same - I like that.

I'd be surprised if he's tax resident in Ireland TBH (and be advising him to get a new accountant if he is!)

I'd be surprised if he's tax resident in Ireland TBH (and be advising him to get a new accountant if he is!)

I'm fairly certain that winnings are taxed in the country were the event is held.

Paddy is an Irish tax resident afaik and he's a former accountant.

Plus I think Shane is that type of guy that enjoys/needs to come back here whenever he wants. Any restrictions on that wouldn't be good for his career IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I'm fairly certain that winnings are taxed in the country were the event is held.

Yeah they pay in the country where the event is held but I think they have to also pay in their home country. Check out Phil's tax bill after his 2 wins in Scotland last year. Should we feel sorry for him? :eek:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/07/22/phil-mickelson-wins-historic-british-open-and-incurs-61-tax-rate/

Paddy is an Irish tax resident afaik and he's a former accountant.

Plus I think Shane is that type of guy that enjoys/needs to come back here whenever he wants. Any restrictions on that wouldn't be good for his career IMO.

Winnings are taxable both in the country that they are earned in (i.e. wherever the tournament is held) and also in the country that you are tax resident in. Some countries (i.e. the US) will also consider US citizens to be liable for US Federal income taxes when non-resident.
    Generally, taxation treaties are in place between countries which mean that you only pay tax in the country where the income is earned - with tax only becoming liable in your country of tax residency if there is 1) no taxation treaty in place or 2) no tax paid on the income in the country where it was earned.

I'm not sure that PH is Irish tax resident, as that would mean that he spends at least 183 days a year in Ireland (or 280 days across two years). Given that amount of time he spends in the US I thought that to be unlikely. He is, however, most likely to be considered an Ordinary Resident of Ireland, which would have implications for certain taxes.

Lowry does seem to come back home most week between European events, but does he have any Irish income at all anymore? (Paddy has his Dunnes line now!)

BTW - he was an ACCA qualified accountant, but I doubt he's still a member - cant imagine he's been keeping his CPD requirements! :pac:

Winnings are taxable both in the country that they are earned in (i.e. wherever the tournament is held) and also in the country that you are tax resident in. Some countries (i.e. the US) will also consider US citizens to be liable for US Federal income taxes when non-resident.
    Generally, taxation treaties are in place between countries which mean that you only pay tax in the country where the income is earned - with tax only becoming liable in your country of tax residency if there is 1) no taxation treaty in place or 2) no tax paid on the income in the country where it was earned.

I'm not sure that PH is Irish tax resident, as that would mean that he spends at least 183 days a year in Ireland (or 280 days across two years). Given that amount of time he spends in the US I thought that to be unlikely. He is, however, most likely to be considered an Ordinary Resident of Ireland, which would have implications for certain taxes.

Lowry does seem to come back home most week between European events, but does he have any Irish income at all anymore? (Paddy has his Dunnes line now!)

BTW - he was an ACCA qualified accountant, but I doubt he's still a member - cant imagine he's been keeping his CPD requirements! :pac:

Good post, as a fellow accountant Padraig never qualified, he got his exams but turned pro before achieving the required work experience AFAIR, given the amount of global travel some of these guys do they will have to declare a residency somewhere, easiest to declare without challenge would be Ireland given their roots and family home etc.

• Advertisement

Good post, as a fellow accountant Padraig never qualified, he got his exams but turned pro before achieving the required work experience AFAIR, given the amount of global travel some of these guys do they will have to declare a residency somewhere, easiest to declare without challenge would be Ireland given their roots and family home etc.

I'm fairly sure he was in industry and passed his exams... He would have had all his experience accumulated en route to his finals for ACCA if it's the same as a few years ago.
    I think that was the whole idea, he wanted to get a profession before going full tilt at golf. Not 100% though.

I took a guess and said former accountant originally, but you never know, he may be getting his CPD credits in at the weekends.... Ouch. Harsh.

Before we bore the rest of the forum. I'm fairly sure both PH and SL are tax residents here.
    I'm saying that purely on the basis of nothing than, if PH wasn't, I'm sure there would have been media coverage of it (bono-esque).

If both are willing to make a great statement of standing in line for their club membership then I don't think they are the types of characters to seek a tax haven from their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Accountancy qualifications and Padraig Harrington?

Read the thread title lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Accountancy qualifications and Padraig Harrington?

Read the thread title lads...

Report posts you have a problem with please, backseat moderation is against the forum charter.

That said, back on topic please everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Good interview with Lowry on Morning Ireland this am. Man he is positive right now - I'm looking forward to seeing him in action over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Kace wrote: »
    Good interview with Lowry on Morning Ireland this am. Man he is positive right now - I'm looking forward to seeing him in action over the weekend.

He came across as very balanced and realistic. Really looking forward to watching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Would love to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Would love to hear that.

you can listen to it on the morning ireland website :
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/morning-ireland/

Second Hour Podcast at about 31:40.

only lasts a minute and a half

I see he is complaining in his Irish Times piece today about being lumped (pun intended) with two other fat boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I see he is complaining in his Irish Times piece today about being lumped (pun intended) with two other fat boys.

FirstUp, this post constitutes personal abuse, it does not matter if that person is a boards.ie member or not.

Further posts, by anyone, along the same lines will lead to an infraction.

Advertisement